Sign in to follow this  
TallTanBarbie

P3Dv5.2 Runs, But Black Screen With AMD GPU

I just did the upgrade for P3Dv5.2.  It worked initially, but after the second time running the program all graphics windows are completely dark with nothing rendered at all.

Is there a fix for this or does the program not work on AMD GPUs?

It should work with AMD GPUs. No reason not to.

How did you perform the upgrade? Full uninstall followed by re-install of the full package or the component msi re- install process?

P3D Shaders folder also deleted?

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

You may have left over files in the ShadersHLSL folder, especially if you have been using software that modifies the shaders. Try deleting the P3D root folder ShadersHLSL folder and then reinstall the Client. Before you run the simulator again, also delete C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Shaders

I think your running into a windowed mode bug. This happens to me also. I usually end up jumping in and out of window mode until the aircraft takes. Sometimes you have to min or max

the wilndow to get it to set. This is similar to the problem I was having with black preview mode on V5.0 , but it was fixed in 5.1.

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

18 hours ago, 787flyer said:

It should work with AMD GPUs. No reason not to.

How did you perform the upgrade? Full uninstall followed by re-install of the full package or the component msi re- install process?

P3D Shaders folder also deleted?

I just did the sequential "Client - Content - Scenery" delete each and re-install and no, i didn't delete the Shaders directory.  Will try that and see what happens.

that order has now changed to content-client-scenery. I installed the same as you and had all kinds of issues.A deletion of hdsl shader folder and regular shader folder followed.

The reinstall of client took care of most problems, however  the black screen is intermittent and i deal with it by entering and exiting window mode.. I see the black screen less if I load default ac first and then change to ac i want to fly.

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

content-client-scenery does not work, if the client is not there, the content installer will not install. The original method is still valid with the proviso that the client can be reinstalled if problems occur.

Update:

Although P3Dv5.2 HF1 works better with AMD drivers now, I still get blank black graphics windows occasionally.

The only thing that seems to work is to either change camera views or toggle windowed / full screen mode.

You can try the config tweak MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=1000,000000, Increasing the the draw will preload the textures into your GPU and when you change views it will stop the black textures while the GPU reloads. I use 32000,000000 on my GPU never had VRAM issues or GPU stopped working. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

14 hours ago, TallTanBarbie said:

Update:

Although P3Dv5.2 HF1 works better with AMD drivers now, I still get blank black graphics windows occasionally.

The only thing that seems to work is to either change camera views or toggle windowed / full screen mode.

I get this with NVidia cards. P3D loads into a black screen and accepts no keyboard inputs at all. Eventually it crashes. This only usually happens loading particular saved scenarios and once it starts, the only way to fix it is to re-create the scenario from scratch. I think it has something to do with panel serialisation and in particular the saving of LVAR state. 

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT