Sign in to follow this  
Silicus

Sim ++ update procedure F

In the spirit of positive and constructive criticism:

While the sim is the bestest thing since sliced sims I must say that the upgrade procedure is one of the worst I have experienced in all my time since the dawn of PCs.

I worked with highly sophisticated software for audio and video production, but nothing comes even close to what I have to face when I need, eehm forced to upgrade my beloved MSFS.

I need to:

1. Update in the Microsoft Store (it takes minutes for the store after opening to present me with the download)

2. Open the sim to wait for 'checking for updates'. Must update - no other choice - most software (even Windows) lets you delay this.

3. Check the Marketplace for update

4. Check the Content Manager for update

Really? Why? I mean is there no better way?

I wish there was!

The sky is calling.....

Silicus

• Like 3

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

deal with it. it is what it is

• Like 2

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I can agree that it is not a perfect solution, but on the other hand this was the 9th update following the exact same procedure as you listed above. It is not rocket science.

I am not sure why 1 & 2 are split into two steps, but I am sure there is a technical reason for it.

3 are updates that are optional, and 4 are the updates to your installed items.

Edited by espent
  • Like 1

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

Bit like real flying a bunch of processes and checklists before you even start the engine

• Like 2

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

1 hour ago, Silicus said:

In the spirit of positive and constructive criticism:

While the sim is the bestest thing since sliced sims I must say that the upgrade procedure is one of the worst I have experienced in all my time since the dawn of PCs.

I worked with highly sophisticated software for audio and video production, but nothing comes even close to what I have to face when I need, eehm forced to upgrade my beloved MSFS.

I need to:

1. Update in the Microsoft Store (it takes minutes for the store after opening to present me with the download)

2. Open the sim to wait for 'checking for updates'. Must update - no other choice - most software (even Windows) lets you delay this.

3. Check the Marketplace for update

4. Check the Content Manager for update

Really? Why? I mean is there no better way?

I wish there was!

The sky is calling.....

Silicus

And even worse when the Windows Store throws an error every time I try to download the update (other apps all update no problem). Took me the better part of the day troubleshooting and rebooting my PC to finally get the update to take. What a pain compared to other software. 

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

6 minutes ago, turnandbank said:

And even worse when the Windows Store throws an error every time I try to download the update (other apps all update no problem). Took me the better part of the day troubleshooting and rebooting my PC to finally get the update to take. What a pain compared to other software. 

Yup what a pia - also good luck getting a refund - bought Steam version 3 days after I bought MS version still waiting for a refund a year later - nope never again 

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Even better.

1.Rename Community folder to Community.BAK

2. Start Sim and observe creation of new Community folder

3. move half of original Community folder,to see if sim still CTD's,if it does,remove 1/2 of folder contents,and check again.......

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Was that meant for another thread? The Community folder shouldn't have any effect on downloading/applying the updates themselves; only if there is a CTD after the updates have been applied.

1 hour ago, BIGSKY said:

Even better.

1.Rename Community folder to Community.BAK

2. Start Sim and observe creation of new Community folder

3. move half of original Community folder,to see if sim still CTD's,if it does,remove 1/2 of folder contents,and check again.......

no need at all for that with the addon linker. i say thats a must use have utility.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conundrum said:

Was that meant for another thread? The Community folder shouldn't have any effect on downloading/applying the updates themselves; only if there is a CTD after the updates have been applied.

Whilst I agree with you, I guess ASOBO tell you to delete it tor a reason.

I have done that for some of the updates but forgotten for some of the others and haven't had any issues either way.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I don't find it too difficult.  I'm no expert in " highly sophisticated software". 

4 hours ago, Richard Sennett said:

Yup what a pia - also good luck getting a refund - bought Steam version 3 days after I bought MS version still waiting for a refund a year later - nope never again 

I was in exactly the same boat. There is a special MS site to claim money back, but it's pretty well hidden. After nothing happened, I finally claimed money back via the PayPal buyers protection which made them acting the next day.

The upgrade process certainly is a bit clumsy, but I am under the impression it's  at least getting less error-prone with time. Most of this is probably due to unification with future X-box installations.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

5 hours ago, cianpars said:

Whilst I agree with you, I guess ASOBO tell you to delete it tor a reason.

I have done that for some of the updates but forgotten for some of the others and haven't had any issues either way.

This issue has been thoroughly vetted, in this and other forums. Bottom line, there is no need to move anything out of Community before updates -- makes no difference, as you observed. The reason ASOBO suggests clearing Community before updates is unclear, but is presumably just part of a general precaution on their part -- a legal thing.

7 minutes ago, cobalt said:

The reason ASOBO suggests clearing Community before updates is unclear

Their explanation seems to be entirely clear.

Some packages in your community folder may not have been updated and, as a result, may have an unexpected impact on the title’s performance and behavior. Please move your community package(s) to another folder before relaunching the title if you suffer from stability issues or long loading times.

It can be seen that they do not in fact advise that the Community folder needs to be empty before carrying out the update. The key part is " if you suffer from stability issues or long loading times".

Edited by Reader