Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Captain Sim releases the 777-300!

Captain Sim releases the -300...and as a stand alone....for $10 cheaper than the -200? 🤔

I'm sure that's gonna trigger the crowd who bought the -200 "Base pack"....or as it was implied as that is how it's been sold before (and I swear I saw the word "base pack" on the original sales page...but if I did, CS conveniently got rid of it because he knew it would raise more havoc.)

Of course this is MSFS and the "aircraft" are just the shell of the "aircraft", but I bet those who "thought" they needed the -200 as a pathway to get the -300, and really wanted only the -300 and were hoping you pay $30 for the "base pack" and maybe $10 for the -300 "expansion" would be the way to go.

Sad we only now know that if someone only wanted the -300 all along....and they picked up the -200 in anticipation of needed it to get to the -300, and gave CS some extra support along the way, are now thinking he sure could have announced that on the initial -200 release that the -300 was going to be a stand-alone...and $10 cheaper at that!

But hey...if he did that...think of all the $30 cha-chings' he'd miss out on for those who only wanted the -300?  Now all the -200 owners who impulse - bought it when they really only wanted the -300 are gonna pay $50 for it vs $20 for the folks who waited....pretty slick CS....I applaud the never-ending ways you find to suck more money from the community.  Bravo.

At lease all the folks just wanting the 777F now know that they can just wait for it and not plop $30 for the -200 they'll never fly.  Unless of course they also did the -200 impulse-buy that CS uses so craftily for additional revenue streams.

Hehe....wonder how he'll market the 737, 757 and 767 shells you know he's prepping as soon as the 777F hits the market.  I'm hoping its diminishing returns if we can just keep informing people of his scam before the mods lock topic after topic on this predatory behavior that hurts the community.

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hi yah Steve 

I hear yah but I would like a 777 but I cant get myself to purchase this hack unless there was a working MSFS 747 which there isn't from what I've read so looks like I dont have to buy a CS 777

Rich Sennett

With the PMDG 777 dropping early 2022, I'l just save $10 / month till it releases.

• Like 8

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

1 minute ago, Richard Sennett said:

Hi yah Steve 

I hear yah but I would like a 777 but I cant get myself to purchase this hack unless there was a working MSFS 747 which there isn't from what I've read so looks like I dont have to buy a CS 777

Hey Richard!   Long time!

Well...if you're itching to plop $30 on the -200 and/or $20 on the -300, you can get the mod to the Salty mod that someone wrote to fix the 777 (a little) to fly like a Salty-modded 747. 

Its pretty sad when the commercial developer of the product is out-done by a freeware guy in a few days of coding ON HIS OWN PLANE that CS either doesn't have the skill to do, or is too lazy and getting his $30/20 impulse-buyer's money anyway despite the fact that without the help of the freeware community (that he tried to sue for their paints by the way), his products would live a very short and unproductive life.

Still amazes me people buy his stuff...I won't touch it, based on principle alone. Couldn't stand the thought of a single penny of mine going to that hack.

• Like 3

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

For what is effectively a “skin,” $20 is a lot more reasonable than the price of their last skin for MSFS, which was the 777-200 I think.  

Maybe they will be smart enough to avoid further controversy this time, such as the livery controversy for their 777-200.

Either way, from what people say of CS’s past products which people said were of better quality with more systems emulation, this seems to be a different type of company now.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

CS? No, thank you.

• Like 2

Intel i9 - GPU RTX 3080 - 32 gig RAM HyperX Fury DDR 4

If anyone is curious about this, see my review of the initial '200 version'. Since both are basically visual models using the default 747 under the hood, there isn't likely to be any real difference between the 200 and the 300 rather than the looks, so I suspect my review of the other one will be more or less relevant to this add-on as well, and it will therefore tell you what to expect.

It's alright as an add-on so long as you are prepared to accept what it is, the liberties it takes, and are thus aware what you are getting for the price of entry, but be aware that if you want a decent airliner which genuinely has a stab at replicating the real thing fairly well, then the souped up A320 you get for free, or some of the community patched other stuff for the other bigger jets, or the payware Aerosoft CRJ and the PMDG DC-6 (releasing later today allegedly) will be quite likely to serve you better for some realism.

If you want my opinion on these things, that's about the size of it, although I wouldn't exactly call them Captain Sim's finest hour.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

49 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Hey Richard!   Long time!

Well...if you're itching to plop $30 on the -200 and/or $20 on the -300, you can get the mod to the Salty mod that someone wrote to fix the 777 (a little) to fly like a Salty-modded 747. 

Thanks Guys

Hi Steve time fly's lol 

I have been investigating salty and that other mod to go with it at flightsim.to but mixed reviews - thought Asobo may have the basics fixed by now guess not - oh well lets hope they sort it out but probably not if it hasnt been fixed by now - doesnt sound promising for xbox users if its not fixed on pc side yet 

Bit confused why they provided aircrafts without solid flight functionality from day one yet still here we are - sim and aircraft models look great though 

Edited by Richard Sennett

Rich Sennett

7 minutes ago, Chock said:

although I wouldn't exactly call them Captain Sim's finest hour.

Their finest hour was many many years ago as I don't have to tell you.  I enjoyed their classic birds back in the day (the 707, 727)....and I did get sucked into the L1011 which is one of my favorite aircraft and the last of the planes that were acceptable...their Boeings are horrible in comparison to "other" companies (we all know who), and their support is questionable to say the least, and his horrendous attitude towards his customers and the community in general (threatening to sue to put all the freeware paints on his site...that was a real black eye for him).

His introduction into the MSFS community has been terrible for those who know of him and his past shady dealings...its just sad that there are so many new simmers picking up MSFS who know nothing about him and his company, until they plop down $30 (or now $20 if you just want the -300 and I assume the Freighter will soon follow for the same price), then have to visit the support forums, especially if they thought they got a whole 777 and can't figure out why its so heavy, burns fuel like a 747-8, has no sounds, etc. 

I've read many posts from new simmers (1-post avatars are a dead-giveaway) who come into the support forums asking the innocent questions, and just getting a link to the page in the forum that explains in detail what they just bought.  Funny how that info is not displayed in detail on the commerce page where unsuspecting folks see the pretty pics of a great looking 777 and decide to but it. (which nobody disputes his modeler does a good job...the coders for the systems...I don't think they even work there anymore, he just rehashes the code a bit to fit it to the 737, 747, 757, 767, 777.)

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

24 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

For what is effectively a “skin,” $20 is a lot more reasonable than the price of their last skin for MSFS, which was the 737 I think.  

Maybe they will be smart enough to avoid further controversy this time, such as the livery controversy for their 737.

Either way, from what people say of CS’s past products which people said were of better quality with more systems emulation, this seems to be a different type of company now.

The last skin was the 777-200 for $30, and this is the 777-300 for $20....the crux of the deal is that he refused to answer my question a few weeks back when I asked him how he was going to release the -300...as a stand-alone or as an expansion.  Seems he didn't answer because if he said it would be a stand-alone way back then....folks who just wanted the -300 would hold off on the -200 as they could care less about it...and ONLY got it because they "assumed" the -300 would be an expansion and you'd have to buy the -200 to get the -300.

Clearly a purposeful deception on his part IMO...I mean as a developer would you rather have $50 from a customer or just $20?  I think an honest dev would have clearly posted the release type on the release of the 1st model, so customers could decide how they wanted to purchase.

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

4 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Their finest hour was many many years ago as I don't have to tell you.  I enjoyed their classic birds back in the day (the 707, 727)....and I did get sucked into the L1011 which is one of my favorite aircraft and the last of

Yes Steve bit different than the old days for sure - poked around CS forums - not much feedback there - prob not selling many copies of MSFS 777

I would grab it even in its state as I do luv CS models but not if there isn't a stable version of the Asobo 747 - I have no patience or time to mess around 🙂 

Rich Sennett

14 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

sim and aircraft models look great though 

Sadly even that's not true compared to older Captain Sim stuff.

With things like their 727,707, 757, 777 etc for sims such as FSX and P3D in the past, the one thing you couldn't criticise about those products, was the amount of animations and features there were on the exterior models and their VCs were usually a notch or two above everyone else's as well. You had opening nose radomes with the animated radar inside it, all kinds of GSE loading vehicles which drove up when you opened doors, emergency slides, etc; there was hardly a panel on those models which didn't operate in some way shape or form. It was genuinely impressive.

That's not the case with this MSFS model, you can swap out a few antennas on the thing with a utility, but that's it. It's a pale imitation of the modeling complexity Captain Sim's stuff used to enjoy. Their 3D models used to genuinely be the benchmark to try and match in terms of animations, and indeed they still are if you buy any of their FSX/P3D stuff.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 minute ago, Steve Dra said:

The last skin was the 777-200 for $30, and this is the 777-300 for $20....the crux of the deal is that he refused to answer my question a few weeks back when I asked him how he was going to release the -300...as a

In the past you had to have the 200 to get lower cost for next inline - he prob re-thought it this time around 🙂 so I hear yah

I like the 200 best - not a huge fan of the very large airliners

Rich Sennett

Just now, Chock said:

With things like their 727,707, 757, 777 etc for sims such as FSX and P3D in the past, the one thing you couldn't criticise about those models, was the amount of animations and features there were on the models, with opening nose radomes, all kinds of GSE loading vehicles which drove up when you opened doors etc; there was hardly a panel on those models which didn't operate in some way shape or form. That's not the case with this MSFS model, you can swap out a few antennas on the thing with a utility, but that's it. It's a pale imitation of the modeling complexity Captain Sim's stuff used to enjoy. their 3D models used to genuinely be the benchmark to try and match in terms of animations.

Absolutely. There was a time not long ago I used to think the best aeroplane would be a Captain Sim model with PMDG systems. 

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

3 minutes ago, Chock said:

With things like their 727,707, 757, 777 etc for sims such as FSX and P3D in the past, the one thing you couldn't criticise about those products, was the amount of animations and features there 

Thats true Alan - Asobo models are amazing - I'm a 3d modeler (Engineer) in my day job so I know a little about that 🙂 your spot on Pal 

Edited by Richard Sennett
  • Like 1

Rich Sennett