Sign in to follow this  
Guest rightnumberone

New Mission Released - Palm 90

Guest rightnumberone

David,If you can provide some additional information, I might be able to help.The self-extracting EXE is merely a WinZip self-extracting archive that just copies files into locations (e.g., there's no editing of the Registry or any other alterations ... just a plain old file copy.)However, it expects your FSX to be in a certain location ... and you may have chosen to install FSX somewhere else.Look for this folder:C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XMissionsEmergencyPalm90This is the main mission folder and contains some subfolders for sound, art, etc. If it's not there, then something went wrong with the installation ... something may not be where it was by default if you installed FSX using the default directory or have otherwise been tweaking your FSX folders.The only other two locations where files were copied were:FSXRewards (only 1, called: Palm90Reward.rwdThis is the file necessary to grant you reward upon successful completion of the mission ... and, FSXEffects (only 1 effect, one called fx_deicing_2.fx)This file adds an effect for the deicing truck.No FSX default files are altered or moved, or overwritten.Let me know what you find, and I'll try best I can to provide you with assistance.

Thank you for your help. I followed the installation instructions since I do have FSX in its default directory, C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X. I can see files in C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XMissionsEmergencyPalm 90. I also have the other two files you mentioned in the appropriate directories, Palm90Reward.rwd in the Rewards folder, and fx_deicing_2.fx in the Effects folder. I click on the mission, the screen switches to the mission, and FSX stops running about 1 second afterwards. The other missions run fine. I also reinstall this mission, just in case there was an issue with the files. Again, thanks for your help.Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Guest rightnumberone

Dave,When you say "FSX stops running" do you mean:a) the game crashes and quits:( the game crashes and I get an error messagec) the game just disappearsd) the mission says you crashede) the mission quitsOr something else?Let me know. I know of nothing peculiar to this mission that would cause the game to crash, and nobody else has reported any ill effects of the type you are mentioning.Kevin

Kevin,It either pops an alert type window titled fsx.exe - Application Error, saying: The instruction at "0x200ef882" referenced memory at "0x01806928" The memory could not be "read." Click on OK to terminate the program. See attached file.When it doesn't pop up the message above, it the game just disappears. I'm going to re-download the file and reinstall just in case there was corruption on the download process.Dave VegaEdit: Same behavior after re-downloading a fresh copy.

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

Guest rightnumberone

David,Hmmm. Nothing special about this mission. No tricks, no shortcuts that might cause memory errors.Couple questions:How much RAM do you have?Are you using any "ramdisk" type utilities? Or other "RAM-extending" software?Are you running any other programs when this occurs?Does this happen after a fresh reboot? You would want to reboot clean, don't start any other programs, start FSX and run this mission first.I'm searching the KB for anything related to memory issues with FSX, but in the meantime, gather this info for me.I suspect I won't be able to help you much here, since the error in question seems to be coming from FSX itself, and I suspect your box might just be running out of RAM after loading this mission.Kevin

Kevin,Running out of RAM might be it. I have 1GB of RAM. Not using ramdisks or anything like that. FSX is the only program running. I have rebooted the PC and w/o running anything else, I get the same error. I'll get more RAM in the future. Thanks for your help.Regards,Dave Vega

dv

Guest rightnumberone

Dave,Quick Question: Do you have the Standard or Deluxe edition?Take a look at this Microsoft Knowledgebase article, which addresses memory issues that cause the game to crash in the way you've described. (There's a lot of troubleshooting items here, and while I don't want you to necessarily do all of them, this will give you some ideas what you need to be looking for and point out some things you can check.)http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303032/It's a good place to start a list of things to consider, like driver updates, etc. I'll keep looking. One or two others (over 500 downloads so far) have noticed this problem on their systems.Incidently, I designed this using the following:Dell XPS Gen4Pentium 4 3.4Ghz Dual Core2 Gig RAMI doubt you are running out of RAM. Microsoft recommends 256Kb to run FSX, but then again I always just quad up whatever they recommend when I'm evaluating whether my machine has enough juice to run a game. Seems like 1Gig should be plenty depending on what you have running in the background.

Kevin,I have the deluxe edition. Thank you for the article. I tried just about everything suggested in it. Did not reinstall FS-X. All my drivers are current. My specs are: AMD Athlom 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.41GHz1GB RAMNVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTXFSX runs ok on my setup, and I can run all the other missions. I've completed most of them. This is an interesting mystery but it's no big deal. If you happen to find the cure, please let me know, but since most people can run it, please don't spend too much time on it. By the sound of it, your time would be best spent on new missions of this caliber. Kind regards,Dave Vega

dv

Guest babewatcher

KevinI too am having the same memory error problem message running Palm 90. It seems to occur while the program is transitioning between the movie script to the actual flying point. I get the same error message described above being unable to read a particular memory address. My system is similar to yours and I dont have problems running any of the other missions. From what I have seen of Palm 90 I too am inpressed and would like to know where other missions can be downloaded from that you have produced. Much thanks Don

Guest babewatcher

Kevin,Just an update it seems that the error message I was getting maybe tied together with the bug you reported earlier with the throttle having to be set to zero. sure enough when I made sure the throttle on my joystick was at zero before firing up Palm90 it loaded and ran with no problems.Don

Guest rightnumberone

Don,Glad you figured it out (it's been vexing me, that small bug!) The memory error seems weird just because your throttle is not zero. Weird. Anyway, thanks and I'll pass it on to the few others this seems to have affected.I have released two additional missions, which you can get here:Boston Skyscraper Firehttp://fsxmissions.blogspot.com/2006/12/bo...raper-fire.htmlGrand Teton Fire Brigadeshttp://fsxmissions.blogspot.com/2006/12/al...e-brigades.htmlI am developing my next mission as we speak. It will be bigger and better than all that have proceeded it, so keep watchinghttp://fsxmissions.blogspot.com/for updates, teasers, pics and trailers!

I deactivated my joystick and still get the memory error problem. I think I need an exorcist. :(Dave Vega

dv

>I deactivated my joystick and still get the memory error>problem. I think I need an exorcist. :(>>>Dave VegaSame here.... What a pity. Could it have something to do with aircraft realism settings ? I have mine at maximum.

Guest rightnumberone

Mango,Do me a favor (if you can):Zip up the following folder and email it to me:c:program filesmicrosoft gamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XMissionsEmergencyPalm90Email it to:kevindanagreene at hotmail dot comI'll load what you send me on my machine and see if it runs, or whether I then get the memory error too.Then we can nail down whether this is bad download, your setup, or something within the mission files themselves.I doubt it's the mission files. Too many people have downloaded it and run it without any problems ... but, you never know.Thanks,Kevin D. Greene

Same here... the game just disappears.Perhaps some code or graphics in the html files of instructions?Jose