Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

Norway now?

I found Norway the only area I have seen in MSFS that I thought was disappointing.

What's its like now?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

8 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I found Norway the only area I have seen in MSFS that I thought was disappointing.

What's its like now?

The new heightmaps make for nice looking fjords. Still a lot of areas with spotty satellite coverage though, like when one side of the fjord is nicely textured and the other one is generic-green, because there probably was a shadow there when the satellite went over.

EDIT:
I checked out Geirangerfjord and noticed the bad texturing there. Looking at it in Bing maps immediately shows the problem with the shadows.
VKO0iUm.png

Edited by Der Zeitgeist

The Norway ground textures look the same to me.

I'm guessing that these updates will amount to added POIs & some enhanced airports. It will not be like upgrading to an ORBX region back in the FSX/P3D days.

BTW, the most annoying thing is still there; pauses and stutters. They need to address and fix this because it reminds me of FSX. I'm still grateful for the updates and will continue to follow the sim closely.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

14 minutes ago, DJJose said:

The Norway ground textures look the same to me.

I'm guessing that these updates will amount to added POIs & some enhanced airports. It will not be like upgrading to an ORBX region back in the FSX/P3D days.

BTW, the most annoying thing is still there; pauses and stutters. They need to address and fix this because it reminds me of FSX. I'm still grateful for the updates and will continue to follow the sim closely.

i absolutely have no pauses and stutters, the advantage of lower settings.

I have flown around Kristiansand, Trondheim and Svolvær and I find it too be much better then before the upgrade. DEM, road network and house placements are much more accurate.

• Like 5

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

2 hours ago, wim123 said:

i absolutely have no pauses and stutters, the advantage of lower settings.

It's taken me awhile to learn this as well.  Just because you can get away w/ Ultra w/ LOD-T/O at 200 doesn't mean this will hold up at all everywhere.  This is what I ran initially, but what's interesting is that you can't always predict based on runtime monitoring of GPU & CPU loads, whereas I always could in P3D.  Now I am often running several sliders at Ultra, more on High now, and LOD-T at 170 or so and LOD-O at 130, and now hardly ever see pauses nor stutters.  Also, it's super important to open Dev Mode once per loading of MSFS, to clear the console of errors/warning/messages, then disable Dev Mode and complete your flight.  This is huge in getting rid of microstutters.  And, after doing this just on one flight, you can clear the console BEFORE loading a new flight plan, and you will retain logging of those flights in the pilot logbook.  So, that first flight of the day I will clear the console after loading the flight to the tarmac, but whenever you do this from within a flight, you won't have that flight logged.

I've having incredible smooth flights now and best ever IQ, despite some lower settings.  Here is my maiden flight for today, KTEX>KBJC, up and over the Rockies, so this shorter flight will not get logged.  All others will today as I clear the console pre-launch.  Once you close MSFS, you have to start this ritual over again.  I do need to recheck and see if I need to be doing this anymore as I Zendesked it and they noted in f/u it was 'solved',. but I don't know if that's true or not.KTEX-ascent.png

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 hours ago, Noel said:

It's taken me awhile to learn this as well.  Just because you can get away w/ Ultra w/ LOD-T/O at 200 doesn't mean this will hold up at all everywhere.  This is what I ran initially, but what's interesting is that you can't always predict based on runtime monitoring of GPU & CPU loads, whereas I always could in P3D.  Now I am often running several sliders at Ultra, more on High now, and LOD-T at 170 or so and LOD-O at 130, and now hardly ever see pauses nor stutters.  Also, it's super important to open Dev Mode once per loading of MSFS, to clear the console of errors/warning/messages, then disable Dev Mode and complete your flight.  This is huge in getting rid of microstutters.  And, after doing this just on one flight, you can clear the console BEFORE loading a new flight plan, and you will retain logging of those flights in the pilot logbook.  So, that first flight of the day I will clear the console after loading the flight to the tarmac, but whenever you do this from within a flight, you won't have that flight logged.

I've having incredible smooth flights now and best ever IQ, despite some lower settings. 

Interesting read Noel as I have found the best for me for little to no stuttering is RS 100 and LOD 160 and LOD detail at 200. It’s all a fine balancing act.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

34 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

It’s all a fine balancing act.

Yes it is, then all of a sudden it's golden :smile:, more or less :wacko:

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

8 hours ago, Noel said:

I've having incredible smooth flights now and best ever IQ, despite some lower settings.  Here is my maiden flight for today, KTEX>KBJC, up and over the Rockies, so this shorter flight will not get logged.  All others will today as I clear the console pre-launch.  Once you close MSFS, you have to start this ritual over again.  I do need to recheck and see if I need to be doing this anymore as I Zendesked it and they noted in f/u it was 'solved',. but I don't know if that's true or not.KTEX-ascent.png

Hi Noel, a question, how do you clear the console of errors/warning/messages in Dev Mode?

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

8 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Hi Noel, a question, how do you clear the console of errors/warning/messages in Dev Mode?

Enable Dev Mode > Windows > Console > then simply clear them by clicking on the button to the right of the headers.  After doing this, disable Dev Mode.  Again, if this action is done AFTER you have launched the flight from the World Planner, the flight will not be logged in the Pilot Logbook.  I recommend doing this procedure once per opening of MSFS.  After that, you can first go into the World Planner, set up your flight plan, back out to Options > General > Dev Mode > Clear Console > Disable Dev Mode > then go back to the World Planner and your flight plan will still be there, and you can launch to the tarmac from there.  This and all subsequent flights will be correctly logged in the Pilot Logbook, unless you either close MSFS outright, or go into Dev Mode after your launched your flight plan.

• Like 1

Noel

19 hours ago, Noel said:

Enable Dev Mode > Windows > Console > then simply clear them by clicking on the button to the right of the headers.  After doing this, disable Dev Mode.  Again, if this action is done AFTER you have launched the flight from the World Planner, the flight will not be logged in the Pilot Logbook.  I recommend doing this procedure once per opening of MSFS.  After that, you can first go into the World Planner, set up your flight plan, back out to Options > General > Dev Mode > Clear Console > Disable Dev Mode > then go back to the World Planner and your flight plan will still be there, and you can launch to the tarmac from there.  This and all subsequent flights will be correctly logged in the Pilot Logbook, unless you either close MSFS outright, or go into Dev Mode after your launched your flight plan.

Thanks for this tip Noel, clearing the console of errors/warning/messages made a great improvement, my latest approaches have been smooth as butter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

On 6/18/2021 at 3:36 PM, Noel said:

Also, it's super important to open Dev Mode once per loading of MSFS, to clear the console of errors/warning/messages, then disable Dev Mode and complete your flight.  This is huge in getting rid of microstutters.  And, after doing this just on one flight, you can clear the console BEFORE loading a new flight plan, and you will retain logging of those flights in the pilot logbook. 

Why not just start a flight, complete the ritual and exit straight away?

I don't care about the logbook, so I complete the ritual on the gate the first thing I do when i'm in the game, seems to work fine.

Norway is a much better experience now with a significantly improved DEM, better aerials, and reprossessed autogen. As mentioned the aerial imagery coverage is still spotty so find places where it is good and enjoy the beutiful scenery. 

Take off from ENST and explore!