Sign in to follow this  
sunny_in_the_sky

Trick to using P3D on second monitor without freezing?

Hello,

I would like to load up P3D on my main monitor, and then move it to my second monitor after the app has finished loading. The reason for this, is that my yoke is in front on my second monitor, as I don't want it to be blocking my main one. It's also easier to set up the flight without having to reach around a yoke.

The problem is that most of the times when I attempt to drag the maximized P3D window from the first monitor to the second, the screen freezes, and I am unable to click on anything or move the screen, although the app seems to still be running.

Does anyone happen to have found a way around this by any chance?

Afraid I can't replicate the problem, I've been doing this for years and have had no problems

Hans Soule

29 minutes ago, flibinite said:

Afraid I can't replicate the problem, I've been doing this for years and have had no problems

I understand. Happens to me very often, unfortunately.

I cant replicate it either, I've got 3 monitors and can put P3d on any monitor I want to, but its always on the center one.

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

Have you tried using the SHIFT + Win Key + Arrows buttons instead of dragging them? I use 3 monitors as well and I can easily switch across any without issues.

27 minutes ago, Nocturnal said:

Have you tried using the SHIFT + Win Key + Arrows buttons instead of dragging them? I use 3 monitors as well and I can easily switch across any without issues.

Thanks for the suggestion! I feel like I did try this method one or twice, although I usually just grab the window by its top frame, and drag it to the right monitor. One monitor is a Dell U2713HM, while the other is an ROG PG279Q, and I am wondering whether this is because of something specific to the monitors, or their drivers. I am also running on a 3090, so I feel like performance shouldn't be the cause. Weird!

Maybe I don't understand the issue (most likely), but in Windows you can swap/change the main screen to any monitor.
Isn't that an option? That way you can start P3D from any monitor you want, without having to move it.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Hi,

You can save a scenario with the correct window position and use this as the default startup scenario. By that you don't have to move any window (which is indeed sometimes a problem with P3D). Especially windows overlapping two monitors are sometimes a problem. I have a three monitor setup (1x 3840x1080 for the outside view and 2x 1920x1080 touch screens for the panels. I build dynamically the startup scenarion with some parameters (airport, plane, daytime,...) in a script and then just have to startup P3D and all windows are on the correct position. Even the popup panels can be positioned by this method.

A commercial product is Simstarter NG, which might be a good option for you.

Rgds
Reinhard

• Upvote 1

Is this problem only with 5.2? 

Edited by rob0203

1 hour ago, rob0203 said:

Is this problem only with 5.2? 

No I have this same problem with P3Dv5.1 HF1.

Sometimes when both monitors are on, P3D will load up on the smaller display and any attempt to drag the P3D window back to the main monitor will cause P3D to freeze.

I checked and Windows shows the displays are correctly identified and ordered but this makes no difference.

I found some other info that suggested to check Prepar3D.cfg file and check that display is set to the correct monitor. i.e. Display1 if that's your default display in the [MAIN] section of this file.

Also the GPU entry such as  [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070.0.0]
Mode=3840x2160x32

where P3D should be using the 0.0 display/resolution as shown above.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!