Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

PMDG DC-6 performances

Can the bold ones who have already purchased the DC-6  in spite of having  an older computer like mine ( 4770+1080 combo at 2560*1440) could tell us about her performances, FPS-wise .I know I wouldn't be able to fly her to New York or London etc., don't care really, but should I be OK on more reasonable routes with Live Weather and get the 30+ that I get with other aircraft ? 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I will say that if you have the 30 fps with other aircrafts, you'll have it also with the DC-6. It's one of the first thing I noticed, she is not a fps killer, so the flight is smooth and great.

• Like 3

Intel i9 - GPU RTX 3080 - 32 gig RAM HyperX Fury DDR 4

it runs amasingly well. even on my amd 5 2600 and nvidia 1050ti !!!!

so dont worry , it will be fine.

• Like 1

I think from what I saw last night Dominique you should be fine. I did not do a flight or even see hear the engines on. I just checked FPS and spent time setting up my controlls and custom views. Then loged off the read the manuals.

Yes they do need reading. 

Dominique you can have my walkthough PDF I hope is now close to finished after changers today. I will not get to fly till tomorrow myself. If you want a copy PM me you email or wait a few days till I update the one on PMDG forums thats is trully out off date from todays version.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Okay, here you go with some exact numbers, and examples:

I have an an Intel Core i5 7400 (Kaby Lake) processor sat on an ASUS Prime Z270-P motherboard, there is 44 Gb of DDR 4 memory on the mainboard and an ATI Radeon RX480 GPU which has 8 Gb of DDR 5 memory. This is not a very modern machine in terms of the CPU or GPU, but it does have a pretty decent amount of GPU memory and plenty of RAM, but more importantly, when I built it, I judged the component mix very carefully in terms of bus speeds and data throughput, where everything is well balanced, so there are no real bottlenecks, which is what makes it work okay with MSFS.

I run the sim at 1920x1080 and I tend to have most of the graphics options up fairly high. I'm typically seeing the PMDG DC-6 get around 30 FPS or so most of the time, which is smooth enough for me. It will sometimes drop a bit but it never really impacts on how the thing flies. It's definitely a bit harder on performance than some other stuff, but not really by a huge amount and typically it's only when you start whizzing around in high speed jets that things such as scenery not loading in very quickly occurs on my sim, for example, that payware Skyhawk jet at low level through the mach loop, so with an aeroplane which lumbers along at 250 knots tops most of the time as this DC-6 does, there is no impact in that regard.

Here's a screenshot of it coming into  Liverpool which shows the terrain and weather display settings I have (i.e. pretty high with things like animated wind turbines, road traffic, etc). This location is a good test for sim aeroplanes because you have varied terrain including the ocean, and that's one of the souped up MSFS airports. About 35 miles away where I took off from, is the payware Manchester airport, so that's two fancy airports loaded into the sim, plus two major cities with photogrammetry terrain well within visual range, including some downloaded upgraded scenery for Greater Manchester where there is also another souped up default airport at Barton which is probably also loaded into RAM. You can see it's dropped to about 25 fps at this point:

0ZEfubp.png

Here it is a minute or two later touching down on 27 at Liverpool, where the FPs is back up to near 30, where it usually sits:

bZYUgif.png

So in conclusion, if you can run stuff like the Flying Iron Spitfire, Milviz Corsair or Big Radials P-40, you will be okay with this thing.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

5 minutes ago, Chock said:

Here's a screenshot

How do you persuade MSFS to show the text at the top left please?

Edited by Reader

4 minutes ago, Reader said:

The most amazing Shift-Z mod, available at flightsim.to and a real gem

• Like 2

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

7 minutes ago, Reader said:

That's a download add-on from flightsim.to called 'Shift-Z-stats'. Here you go (easy to install, but needs a sim restart to begin working). I suspect Asobo will be considering contacting its developer and seeing if they can make it a default thing.

https://flightsim.to/file/16358/shift-z-stats

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 minute ago, Chock said:

That's a download add-on from flightsim.to called 'Shift-Z-stats'. Here you go:

... and needs to go together with https://flightsim.to/file/9900/no-handle-bar

• Like 3

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Runs really well, very good optimisation

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

46 minutes ago, Chock said:

That's a download add-on from flightsim.to called 'Shift-Z-stats'. Here you go (easy to install, but needs a sim restart to begin working). I suspect Asobo will be considering contacting its developer and seeing if they can make it a default thing.

45 minutes ago, DAD said:

... and needs to go together with https://flightsim.to/file/9900/no-handle-bar

Many thanks to you both, fitted and working.🙂

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jetman67 said:

Runs really well, very good optimisation

Your hardware Wayne ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

I think from what I saw last night Dominique you should be fine. I did not do a flight or even see hear the engines on. I just checked FPS and spent time setting up my controlls and custom views. Then loged off the read the manuals.

Yes they do need reading. 

Dominique you can have my walkthough PDF I hope is now close to finished after changers today. I will not get to fly till tomorrow myself. If you want a copy PM me you email or wait a few days till I update the one on PMDG forums thats is trully out off date from todays version.

Thanks David

I registered this week at PMDG but as soon as I log in, the forum list disappear so I've not been able to download your pdf yet.  Don't bother I will wait a few days your updated version. 

• Like 1

Dominique

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Can the bold ones who have already purchased the DC-6  in spite of having  an older computer like mine ( 4770+1080 combo at 2560*1440) could tell us about her performances, FPS-wise .I know I wouldn't be able to fly her to New York or London etc., don't care really, but should I be OK on more reasonable routes with Live Weather and get the 30+ that I get with other aircraft ? 

Do you mind give me the most important FPS booster in MSFS ? . I properly run to high settings at 25FPS but same setup almost.

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

15 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Do you mind give me the most important FPS booster in MSFS ? . I properly run to high settings at 25FPS but same setup almost.

Thanks

Michael Moe

No booster, Michael, I have no miracle recipe. I fly the Spit and the Corsair mostly outside of large urban sprawls in the US and Europe and avoid major hubs (CDG, JFK, Heathrow etc) at reasonable settings, all high except glass cockpit refresh rate (for the Xcub) at medium and clouds at ultra. Terrain detail level is at 170. On the data side photogrammetry is off, everything else is on. The experience is smooth (stutters and pauses are very rare now) except in some places like the LA basin for instance. Japan is curiously rather forgiving in spite of the huge conurbations. 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique