Sign in to follow this  
Aristoteles

Aerial Imagery

I was browsing through new releases in the Marketplace and came upon a new release from Island Creations who seem to be focusing on Canary Island Imagery. The results are amazing, no doubt, but after checking the price I realized that maybe we will never be able to expect something like this from Asobo. 3rd party (both freeware and payware) are releasing this amazing products but Microsoft doesn´t seem to be able or want to enhance their star product in this direction. World Updates rely on out of date orto imagery and "no one" seems to care....Pity.

Clipboard01.jpg

• Upvote 1

Iñigo Bildarratz

it has always been this way, w enow have a much better base tho, i dont need much scenery addons, here and there some better mesh yes.

Sometimes things can get messed up. The BeNeLux by Asobo update added quite few buildings but sometimes they are orientated wrong and this can then mess up the entire surrounding streets (Antwerp/Belgium around the cathedral is a nice example).

Since probably no one in the Asobo team has ever visited this place, what do they care....

• Upvote 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

Because of your post I flew over the Cathedral. The wrong orientation might be obvious to you.

To me it's no problem (although you are probably right)

To me the landmarks in world updates are mostly meaningless.

I'd rather see that they bring harbours and water ways alive.

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

Consider this is 7 GB for the small El Hierro Island alone. Add the enhancements for the other Canaries which I think are available as well. Next, add a high-resolution mesh and a few payware airports. Finally, sum this all up. What's the result?

And this is for the Canaries which are a picturesque but certainly small part of the World. Would you have MS streaming this amout of data over our connections which for some of us are already exhausted with the present data volume, aside the processing power for the streaming data?

Recall people moaning about the amount of data for the ORBX True Earth Regions?

I think, MS/Asobo found a pretty good compromise. If they manage to iron out a number of remaining niggles like terrain morphing I am content with their approach.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 7

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Yes, you are definitely right pmb. It´s just that sometimes I miss better aerial imagery.

• Like 2

Iñigo Bildarratz

6 minutes ago, hansb57 said:

Because of your post I flew over the Cathedral. The wrong orientation might be obvious to you.

To me it's no problem (although you are probably right)

To me the landmarks in world updates are mostly meaningless.

I agree on that, you only know this when you know how it is in real life. Same for the surrounding streets but before the adding of the cathedral the surrounding streets looked fine and one could orientate by looking at them. Now it's like... where the hell am i.

Adding of the cathedral messed up the surrounding streets too.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

9 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

I agree on that, you only know this when you know how it is in real life. Same for the surrounding streets but before the adding of the cathedral the surrounding streets looked fine and one could orientate by looking at them. Now it's like... where the hell am i.

Adding of the cathedral messed up the surrounding streets too.

Report it on Zendesk.

• Like 1

MFS is the first application to stream imagery that the user can scroll in any direction at relatively high speed and different altitudes. The imagery could often be of better resolution but there might be still limitations in the compression technologies and availability of bandwidth for a majority of users.

As MFS is, in a way, a progress over Google Earth (yes I know it seems weird to compare both but think a minute, the two concepts are not that far apart when you strip off MFS of the gaming features), we could expect that the compression algorithms will get better over time and allow the streaming of better imagery, resolution and seasonality. The low orbit satellites already bring us amazing images. Pity that Bing does not get them.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam