Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Is it just me or did performance & image quality improve?

2 minutes ago, Noel said:

Really?  Just like P3D/FSX?  Trees practically gone eh?  Where the heck are you flying?  This is OTW to Port Angeles WA w/ lots n lots of trees...

Ok have you tried flying up north lately? Like in Canada, Alaska, Norway, Sweden etc?

• Like 3

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Close to BC Canada.  I see what you're saying now the radius isn't massive, but quite frankly I haven't really noticed presumably because I'm often in areas where it isn't dense trees out to infinity.  I have trees set at Ultra in that screen shot.

Still, w/ everything else in this sim it's no wonder you have to pick and choose what to process else performance degrades too much.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

Close to BC Canada.  I see what you're saying now the radius isn't massive, but quite frankly I haven't really noticed presumably because I'm often in areas where it isn't dense trees out to infinity.  I have trees set at Ultra in that screen shot.

Still, w/ everything else in this sim it's no wonder you have to pick and choose what to process else performance degrades too much.

If it was only that simple. I think a lot of us would love to pick and choose, but the fact is that Asobo has picked for us, and trees up north is not allowed..! It makes no sense. Why would trees up north be any more costly than jungles near the equator? Before, we could use the treefix mod to set the range of trees all the way to the horizon. I would use it with hardly no impact on performance. But now that fix is borked because of hardcode from Asobo. 

• Like 6

Andreas Stangenes

The performance of this game on my ancient (13 yrs old) system amazes me. I was getting single digit performance in  FSX & Orbx and now can hold a steady 30-32 FPS. I have also noticed the scenery looks much nicer lately!  Hope they keep churning out the Bing sat map updates.

pAbi6ga.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

The performance of this game on my ancient (13 yrs old) system amazes me. I was getting single digit performance in  FSX & Orbx and now can hold a steady 30-32 FPS. I have also noticed the scenery looks much nicer lately!  Hope they keep churning out the Bing sat map updates.

pAbi6ga.jpg

Yes, when you fly real close to the ground, it looks great. A good picture for sure. But just raise the wing a little bit so we can see a little bit further, and the tree line, assuming you are flying up north of course (ie, the nordic world update region), and you get blurry tiles where the trees should have been instead. 

• Like 2

Andreas Stangenes

9 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Yes, when you fly real close to the ground, it looks great. A good picture for sure. But just raise the wing a little bit so we can see a little bit further, and the tree line, assuming you are flying up north of course (ie, the nordic world update region), and you get blurry tiles where the trees should have been instead. 

I will do that on the next flight, i actually noticed something else. A holdover from FSX:

• Like 2

Appears snappier and smoother, I agree.  I've also noticed new ground textures in a number of areas, like they are using more recent satellite images, especially in the area of the UK wher I live, which is the triangle where the M4 and M5 motorway intersect, but I've noticed it in quite a few other areas too.

I also get the feeling that extended bandwidth has been provided to the servers which I suspected may have been a major source of stutters before.

Some of this is difficult to quantify and provide hard evidence, of course, but some improvements are quite clear.

Looking forward to the next sim update and hopefully the implementation of dx12 soon.

Edited by cianpars

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

1 hour ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

If it was only that simple. I think a lot of us would love to pick and choose, but the fact is that Asobo has picked for us, and trees up north is not allowed..! It makes no sense. Why would trees up north be any more costly than jungles near the equator? Before, we could use the treefix mod to set the range of trees all the way to the horizon. I would use it with hardly no impact on performance. But now that fix is borked because of hardcode from Asobo. 

If that is true, you could set range out to the horizon w/ hardly any impact, most assuredly Asobo knows this and can assess its performance hit as well as anyone here can.  The telling part is as you've said it's apparently the case that trees in jungles can cope with this much tree radius so there is good reason to assume it will be adjusted again for northern and presumably southern lattitudes.  IOW, I think it's too early to consider the topic done, sealed in stone, whereas if it was truly about performance trade-off this would not bode well for an improvement.  

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tree-draw-distance-lod-issues/300672/289?u=zahidhuubow

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

11 minutes ago, cianpars said:

I also get the feeling that extended bandwidth has been provided to the servers which I suspected may have been a major source of stutters before.

I agree with that suspicion--I'm not getting the very predicable degradation upon final approach that I had been getting in many arrivals.  There might be a little now but it resolves quickly by comparison to the recent and remote past.

• Like 1

Noel

Even more performance improvements coming with the X-Box code merge (presumably that’s SU5 coming July 27th)

I took a flight from PANC to PAFA in the A32NX today.

Trees and terrain data super pixelized. Gaps in textures.

Like W** happened since yesterday?

Edited by PaulGR

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

12 hours ago, PaulGR said:

I took a flight from PANC to PAFA in the A32NX today.

Trees and terrain data super pixelized. Gaps in textures.

Like W** happened since yesterday?

Probably a server hiccup. Or you flew over an area with poor data, it is Alaska after all, it isn't great up there.

On 6/20/2021 at 12:32 AM, ThrottleUp said:

now can hold a steady 30-32 FPS

how comes, are you running all settings on low/medium? just wondering since I am tweaking my old system, too, but usually get around 20 fps (in the FBW neo at least).

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

3 minutes ago, DAD said:

(in the FBW neo at least).

The FBW Neo is pretty intensive when inside. I lose 10 FPS going from the outside to inside.

The default A320 I only lose a couple frames.

Edited by Tuskin38

28 minutes ago, DAD said:

how comes, are you running all settings on low/medium? just wondering since I am tweaking my old system, too, but usually get around 20 fps (in the FBW neo at least).

Nothing is on low and medim. Its a mix high and ultra. I can do this because I only fly the small GA planes over the remote regions of the world (like Amazon, the wild of Alaska, Washinton etc). The largest plane I use is the Caravan. 

I cannot fly any airliners or the bizzjets - game becomes a slideshow. Neither can I fly near any big towns or cities. it becomes MSFS PowerPoint Edition 😶

I can only use the game for back country bush flying which is fine for me. No large cities, no complex airplanes - so thats why I can keep these settings this high on my old system 🙂

• Like 2