Hi,

Question for Gerald (and team) - are there any plans to integrate the recently released PMDG DC-6? Would be great to see..!

Best,

James

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

12 hours ago, severniae said:

Hi,

Question for Gerald (and team) - are there any plans to integrate the recently released PMDG DC-6? Would be great to see..!

Best,

James

If it didn't come with a built-in flight engineer, it would have been worth considering.

I'm afraid we'll pass on this one.

We'll be supporting PMDG 737, 777, 747 when they eventually make it into MSFS though

On 6/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, FS++ said:

If it didn't come with a built-in flight engineer, it would have been worth considering.

I'm afraid we'll pass on this one.

We'll be supporting PMDG 737, 777, 747 when they eventually make it into MSFS though

For what it's worth - your system would be 10x superior to their 'AFE' - which really is just a set of scripts that doens't operate terribly realistically..

Best wishes.

James

James W

2 hours ago, severniae said:

For what it's worth - your system would be 10x superior to their 'AFE' - which really is just a set of scripts that doens't operate terribly realistically..

Best wishes.

James

OK, then start a new thread on PMDG forum and if there is a sizeable interest for it to be multi-crewed, we will look at it.

We just don't believe there would be much uptake for such an old aircraft.

There is a reason why PMDG 737 and FSL A3XX were the most successful.

It's to do with the simple fact they were the most built and flown planes in the real world and even to this day.

You can bet every type rated or wannabe pilot on the planet would want one of these (easily 60000 copies waiting to be sold), and that's without counting hobbyist flight simmers.

Today, you can render a 707 or Tristar in all their glories (and including extreme systems simulation), using the most up to date technology, you won't be able to garner a similar interest, apart from here on Avsim. 😛

2 hours ago, FS++ said:

OK, then start a new thread on PMDG forum and if there is a sizeable interest for it to be multi-crewed, we will look at it.

We just don't believe there would be much uptake for such an old aircraft.

There is a reason why PMDG 737 and FSL A3XX were the most successful.

It's to do with the simple fact they were the most built and flown planes in the real world and even to this day.

You can bet every type rated or wannabe pilot on the planet would want one of these (easily 60000 copies waiting to be sold), and that's without counting hobbyist flight simmers.

Today, you can render a 707 or Tristar in all their glories (and including extreme systems simulation), using the most up to date technology, you won't be able to garner a similar interest, apart from here on Avsim. 😛

Ok Gerald, I will do that!

Looking at the MSFS forums, it appears this one has been quite popular. I suspect because PMDG have managed a first to market complex airliner!

James W

3 hours ago, severniae said:

@FS++ Hi Gerald,

I did as requested - you can see the thread here: https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/pmdg-dc-6-cloudmaster-forum/133878-multi-crew-experience-dc6

Already getting a few responses in so far, with some interest! 😄

Best wishes,

James

Thanks James.

We'll keep an eye on the thread and see how it goes.

Once a year I might do a VFR flight. Nevertheless I bought MSFS and noodled around for a day with a 172 and took in the eye candy. Had a quick go with the Dreamliner and put the sim away until I bought the PMDG DC-6 because I buy anything they do, no questions. It's very impressive, outrageously complicated and time sensitive to fly even with the virtual flight engineer. It's not something I will fly often.

Bought the AS CRJ and like what they've done. Needs a bit more refinement but will likely fly it from time to time when I can sit for the whole flight as there is no autothrottle (nor should there be one).

To be honest I have spent more than the wife will ever know on P3D addons and I really only fly jet aircraft, so eye candy beyond 10,000 feet is a non-event for me. But when PMDG does the 37,47,77 for MSFS I'll buy them all.

I agree that MSFS PMDG DC-6 sales will likely drop once they introduce the big birds. At the moment it's the only plane where 99% of the systems are simulated. If you love vintage aircraft you can't go wrong.

• Like 1

Harry S. | System Builder

I7-9700K @ 5Ghz, AORUS Z390 Master Motherboard, Corsair 240mm H100i Platinum AIO CPU Cooler, AORUS GTX 1080ti Xtreme Graphics, HyperX Predator 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x Samsung 1TB SSD, 27" LG UltraGear 27GL850-B QHD Monitor, Cooler Master MasterCase H500 Case, Cooler Master 1000 Watt PSU, Win10, MSFS, Saitek/Logitech X52 Pro

On 6/20/2021 at 1:02 AM, severniae said:

Hi,

Best,

James

Is the FO handling flaps, gear, parking brake and radios tuning including transponder?

He's expected to do that on all planes, even unsupported ones.

4 hours ago, FS++ said:

Is the FO handling flaps, gear, parking brake and radios tuning including transponder?

Hi Gerald,

I'm afraid not for the flaps - asking for any of the flaps settings and the F/O just asks for me to repeat the command.

Gear up does seem to work, asking for gear down he always refuses because the speed is too high.

Not sure about the radios or transponder.

He also seems to think rotation speed is around 80 knots.

There is a file named 'DC-6B_v1_ref' - contents:

[MAX_SPEEDS]
VMO=292
MMO=0.50
VLO_R=168
VLO_E=168
VLE=174
VBE=200

[FLAPS_MAX_SPEEDS]
10=168
15=168
20=168
30=168
40=147
50=147

[OPS_SPEEDS]
V1=95
VR=100
V2=110
VREF=115

Edited by severniae

James W

1 hour ago, severniae said:

Hi Gerald,

I'm afraid not for the flaps - asking for any of the flaps settings and the F/O just asks for me to repeat the command.

Gear up does seem to work, asking for gear down he always refuses because the speed is too high.

Not sure about the radios or transponder.

He also seems to think rotation speed is around 80 knots.

There is a file named 'DC-6B_v1_ref' - contents:

[MAX_SPEEDS]
VMO=292
MMO=0.50
VLO_R=168
VLO_E=168
VLE=174
VBE=200

[FLAPS_MAX_SPEEDS]
10=168
15=168
20=168
30=168
40=147
50=147

[OPS_SPEEDS]
V1=95
VR=100
V2=110
VREF=115

Can you look at "aicraft.cfg" and confirm the following

[fltsim.0]

sim=what_is_the_name_here

ui_createdby=what_is_the_name_here

ui_manufacturer=what_is_the_name_here

That ref file is there for another DC6. MCE wouldn't know about PMDG DC6, thus not taking into account that info. If you provide info above, should get flaps going.

Thanks

6 hours ago, FS++ said:

Not sure what PMDG have provided as an SDK but there are a myriad of dials and switches available. The built-in VFE seems to do what's needed for each phase. Using the VFE is optional and could be ignored. No doubt there is much more that could be done by MCE given a comprehensive SDK. The plane will no doubt be popular at least in the short term until PMDG and hopefully a few others release additional study level commercial aircraft.

Edited by HarryS

Harry S. | System Builder

I7-9700K @ 5Ghz, AORUS Z390 Master Motherboard, Corsair 240mm H100i Platinum AIO CPU Cooler, AORUS GTX 1080ti Xtreme Graphics, HyperX Predator 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x Samsung 1TB SSD, 27" LG UltraGear 27GL850-B QHD Monitor, Cooler Master MasterCase H500 Case, Cooler Master 1000 Watt PSU, Win10, MSFS, Saitek/Logitech X52 Pro

Here you go..

[fltsim.0]
title=PMDG DC-6B Namibia Commercial Aviation (V5-NCG | 2001)
atc_airline=Namibia Commercial Aviation
atc_flight_number=6
atc_heavy=0
atc_id=V5-NCG
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_id_enable=1
atc_id_font=
atc_parking_codes=
atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMP
description=A piston-powered airliner and transport aircraft built by the Douglas Aircraft Company from 1946 to 1958.
icao_airline=
isAirTraffic=0
isUserSelectable=1
KB_Checklists=
KB_Reference=
model=
panel=
pmdg_revision=1
sim=DC-6B_v1
sound=
texture=V5-NCG
ui_autonomy=13
ui_certified_ceiling=25000
ui_createdby=PMDG
ui_fuel_burn_rate=550
ui_manufacturer=Douglas
ui_max_range=4100
ui_thumbnailfile=
ui_type=DC-6B
ui_typerole=Commercial Airliner
ui_variation=Namibia Commercial Aviation (V5-NCG | 2001)
visual_damage=0
wip_indicator=2

James W

@FS++Tried a few ways last night to get the F/O to actuate the flaps - no joy I'm afraid.

As a note, I wrote some time (for P3D) a go a script that allowed me to bind various flap settings to key presses - I had to use a pair of commands (a control, and set an lvar) to make both the flap, and the flap handle, move.. I just tested it in MSFS and it also works - in case of use to you (the below example is for Flaps 50:

ipc.control("65698", 16383)
    ipc.writeLvar("L:dc6_419_obj", 6)

Best,

James

James W