Sign in to follow this  
StamPilot

Get the feeling your paying to much for FSX add-ons?

It amazes me what some aircraft developers are charging for a port to fsx.Ok, yes, some aircraft have complicated displays. But most don't!I moved over an aircraft from FS9 to FSX. It works perfectly except for four dial gauges having funky colors. I just substituted the gauges. The aircraft works perfectly!The original developer is charging full price.Geez must have been real hard changing some color choices. lololol

>I moved over an aircraft from FS9 to FSX. It works perfectly>except for four dial gauges having funky colors. I just>substituted the gauges. The aircraft works perfectly!>I guess it comes down to...... "works perfectly" compared to what?In my own experience, I have "re-worked" FSX upgrades that actually perform better in FSX. The textures, panels, and skin surfaces also take advantage of what's possible in FSX. In so many words;, if what works in FS9, can be redesigned, remodeled, and reprogrammed to work even better in FSX, then why would I want a FS9 "ported" version?L.Adamsonedit: since I have no idea of what aircraft you're talking about; I'm just going by my own experience. In my case, the upgrades were definately worth it!

That is all YOU did. Is that the same thing that the company did: substitute some gauges?Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development Team Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/FSEconomy Member:http://www.fseconomy.com/

If you think developers charge too much, presumably compared with what you want to pay then the answer's in your own hands - don't pay them!

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

Well, that all depends. Some of the planes I've moved over have worked ok, most required tweaks of some sort or another, and NONE have been 100% perfect (for instance, none of them have handled the jetways and such correctly.)The biggest issue I've had so far is trying to move over some of the Shockwave Wings of Power planes. Either their 3D cockpits are messed up, or most of the buttons on the panel don't work at all.FSX DOES involve some work to change over. Yes, planes can be made to work.... But that's minimally working. The developers who have the really good planes need to do a good bit more work to fully support FSX and provide all the FSX bells and whistles.So, I guess it all depends. I don't mind paying a little to get an upgrade of an already fantastic plane from FS9 if the developer is going to add in full FSX support. I will say I was HIGHLY disappointed in the Abacus Flight Deck 4 upgrade for FSX. LOTS of bugs with it.

Guest Len

>It amazes me what some aircraft developers are charging for a>port to fsx.>>Ok, yes, some aircraft have complicated displays. But most>don't!>>I moved over an aircraft from FS9 to FSX. It works perfectly>except for four dial gauges having funky colors. I just>substituted the gauges. The aircraft works perfectly!>>The original developer is charging full price.>>Geez must have been real hard changing some color choices. >lolololDon't buy them then. Only thing I bought for FSX is Mytraffic X. Given the performance problems with X my purchases will be microscopic compared to FS9.

> Given the performance problems with X my purchases will be>microscopic compared to FS9.>I can see the possibility of myself picking up numerous high resolution photo-real sceneries for FSX, which is just something I never did with FS9. Of course I'll have to wait and see what's produced.L.Adamson

Guest wyoming

Add-ons like that literally "make" the sim. Patiently waiting for their twin. Patiently waiting for a number of other add-ons such as, landclass , textures, ATC, etc... as well. For which I'll be happy to pay.

While it's fairly easy to take an existing FS9 model and 'fix' any gauges that don't work, it's a totally different story to convert it to a true FSX model. There were a lot of changes made to how various tasks are accomplished...the big changes being how animations are done along with how the new materials (textures) are made. I've been converting my project over to FSX (pics here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=251337&page=). All of my textures and about half of my animations had to be redone. So far I've put a month of my spare time into rework. The end result is worth the effort, and if a developer has indeed totally converted a model using the FSX tools, and has included all of the possible texture effects (such as bump mapping) I can see why the cost of the end product is higher than it's FS9 counterpart. Robert

..Having done some design so far in FSX, so far I would say that any upgrades or 'ports' to FSX are not a simple matter 99% of the time.Sometimes it looks that way to the end user because, well, if a scenery or gauge or aircraft already looked 'as real as it gets', then the designer will want it to also look 'real' in FSX, and so it will look like nothing has changed. But, oh so much has changed internally.It doesn't matter if an a/c has a 'complicated display' or not. Even a SIMPLE display gauge, such as a rotary altimeter, might need to be completely rewritten for FSX.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest iwantmydc3

I'm a user not a programmer. I would have no idea how to fix things that didn't work, no idea how to "tweak" things at a low level, e.g. rewriting .cfg files and so forth, writing scripts, moving gauges or any of that. So I wait until the folks that know how to make aircraft do it. To be honest, I don't buy all that many, most of my add on planes have always been freeware. Unless something looks like it will be REALLY outstanding (The SF260, GlassirIII and Corenado Cessnas, and the Shcokwave "Wings of Power" warbirds are a few payware planes I have purchased), I hold on to my $30 till I see something that looks like it will be awesome. The only things now I'm jonesing for are the FSD Cessna 337 and Aeroworx King Air. I'm not much into airlines so don't really care about all the 747s 757's 787's and so forth (Although I would LOVE to find an ANALOG 737 or 707 (NO GLASS PANELS PLEASE). So I would agree with a user above my post--if you think they're charing to much (1) Don't pay it (2) Contact them and let them know it.

Microsoft charges $70US for the main simulator. I have seen addons approaching $50. Seems that some are trying the old method of seeing what the market will support. At $25 they passed my ceiling unless it is something I feel I would get considerable use from in a variety of circumstances. Another danger is that many of the people who charge for their work are one or two person operations who are not schooled in business management. Thus, while talented, they fail to manage the customer relationships, often by allowing their personalities to come to the surface.Having said that the people who spend $5000, or more, on hardware probably have no reservations paying $50 for an addon. Others can barely afford FSX on their aged PC. Somewhere in the middle lies the fluid bulk of the market for addons. They will decide price points.Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

I just paid $72 for the dodosim advanced bell chopper and don't regret it at all. This is also an outdated product since they only make it for fs9! Do i regret it? NO WAY! Most amazing aircraft ever modeled and I would have paid $100 for it. Even if they don't offer any fsx upgrade discounts if/when they port it to fsx i will still repay another $72 to get it for fsx. What you pay for in a product really depends on how much you want it. If you don't like the cost of a product then don't buy it. If you must have it then be prepared to succumb to the powers of market forces. My collective lever arrives today from heli-kit and i will be in hog heaven later tonight flying my dodo with all 3 realistic controls ;)________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 @ 893Mhz | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 575/900 | Seagate 2x 320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Guest N247K

For payware add-ons, $30-USD is my ceiling, and that is only for something that's absolutely necessary (that eliminates all aircraft) ... like my recent FS Force 2.0 purchase, which positively changed the "feel" of FSX for me.I "treat" myself to one or two of these every 18 months or so; but the true joy for me is creating an enhancement on my own (not many yet in FSX, but when time permits ...).