Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Orbx Van Nuys is out

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

I think you'll find it's an Asobo/MS issue, not that Orbx can't or won't do them. Anyone else finding Van Nuys a bit on the stuttery  side?

FSDT manages to animate the random people around the terminal in their Key West scenery, so I'm guessing this is on Orbx. Personally, I'd rather they just leave out the static people if they can't animate them.

I hate any 'cartoonish' people in any flight sim.  Static or 'animated' . Van nuys , regardless of  'people', and which I now regret buying, does not satisfy me at all.

Orbx, as we know, is an entirely NEW company now. From now on, I'll have to read the reviews from the forums before I buy anything with the 'ORBX'  name.

Edited by Eclex
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

If you read "reviews" in these forums and used them to make your decisions, you would never buy any addon at all.🙂

• Like 2

From my experience, there are hardly any trustworthy reviews about payware Flight Sim addons anyway. 

Most reviewers seem have an unhealthy brand loyalty, especially towards the big addon developers, and in the process you simply don't see any negative reviews at all.

To check if there's any problems with a particular product, you then have to sift through countless forum threads to know how good an addon really is.

These forums are full of negative reviews, if that is what you want to see, you are in exactly the right place. The usual tactic is to find one small blemish and then amplify it into a life changing issue, viz seven default scenery objects in MSFS London.

Edited by Reader
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

To check if there's any problems with a particular product, you then have to sift through countless forum threads to know how good an addon really is

But this is exactly what forums are for !  Diversity of opinions. 

27 minutes ago, Reader said:

These forums are full of negative reviews, if that is what you want to see, you are in exactly the right place. The usual tactic is to find one small blemish and then amplify it into a life changing issue, viz seven default scenery objects in MSFS London

Aren't we old enough to sort out chaff and grain ?

What you call a blemish, others would call a show stopper. I would have recently made a mistake acquiring an aircraft not made for me. Other simmers were rather positive until someone underlined a flaw which was a show stopper for me. Maybe it was just a  blemish for others. I am grateful to him. 

What I am really cautious of  are the enthused reviews as it is difficult to see the real product behind. You Tube is full of them, we know why. For the critical ones I can (or I think I can)  see what is wrong with the review... or the reviewer. 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

But this is exactly what forums are for !  Diversity of opinions. Aren't we old enough to sort out chaff and grain ?

Evidently not all of us are "old enough", or these ludicrous events would not gather so much momentum. I agree completely that a more balanced opinion of the reviews would be possible if the motives behind the review in question were known.

25 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

What I am really cautious of  are the enthused reviews as it is difficult to see the real product behind. You Tube is full of them, we know why. For the critical ones I can (or I think I can)  see what is wrong with the review... or the reviewer. 

Yes, those were the ones I meant. Especially with airport addon reviews, I see a tendency to obsess over things like texture quality or other eye-candy aspects while totally neglecting the core functionality of the airports. I guess that's why so many of these errors with ILS, frequencies, taxiways and other core MSFS functions occur.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Reader said:

Evidently not all of us are "old enough", or these ludicrous events would not gather so much momentum. 

I didn't make myself clear enough. I am not in the business of organizing the world. At 72,  I have given up on that 🙂. For my own selfish purpose, negative reviews, silly or not, have their utility more than the cheering ones, at least most of the times. 

30 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Yes, those were the ones I meant. Especially with airport addon reviews, I see a tendency to obsess over things like texture quality or other eye-candy aspects while totally neglecting the core functionality of the airports.  

Agreed.  

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, Reader said:

If you read "reviews" in these forums and used them to make your decisions, you would never buy any addon at all.🙂

So true.  I read a guy apologizing last week on a avsim forum for saying that he like MSFS20.  The hobby has folks that complain about everything in MSFS20, its their personality, its their nature.

15 hours ago, Eclex said:

I hate any 'cartoonish' people in any flight sim.  Static or 'animated' . Van nuys , regardless of  'people', and which I now regret buying, does not satisfy me at all.

Mind sharing what you specifically disliked about it? Is it the textures primarily or are there other issues as well?  Thinking of getting it but am 50-50 due to this thread.

Aorus Master X570 / 5800x3d w/ Arctic Freezer ii 280 / Asus TUF 3090 w/ gigabyte BIOS / 2x16GB b-die @ 3600Mhz 

22 hours ago, Midnight Music said:

Strange, my Santa Barbara works great and has good FPS.

Lee

I ended up deinstalling the ORBX version and now the default runs at around 50fps (no more stutters) which is normal for me.  I'm happy with the default for now.

Regards

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

23 hours ago, bbsmitz said:

Mind sharing what you specifically disliked about it? Is it the textures primarily or are there other issues as well?  Thinking of getting it but am 50-50 due to this thread.

My first impression was the view of the city outside of the boundaries of the airport itself. It appears as  a bombed out Van Nuys via the very low areal photo quality there. Sure, it's default, but maybe Orbx could have spruced it up a bit.

The underground tunnel entrance for Sherman Way street is not rendered

The frequency list for the airport does not include the ILS freq .

My overall impressions is that the KVNY from Orbx is better than default, but its price should be half of the initial offering.

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

@Eclex, thank you for your thoughts.

Aorus Master X570 / 5800x3d w/ Arctic Freezer ii 280 / Asus TUF 3090 w/ gigabyte BIOS / 2x16GB b-die @ 3600Mhz 

1 hour ago, Eclex said:

My first impression was the view of the city outside of the boundaries of the airport itself. It appears as  a bombed out Van Nuys via the very low areal photo quality there. Sure, it's default, but maybe Orbx could have spruced it up a bit.

The underground tunnel entrance for Sherman Way street is not rendered

The frequency list for the airport does not include the ILS freq .

My overall impressions is that the KVNY from Orbx is better than default, but its price should be half of the initial offering.

Does OrbX Van Nuys at least have all relevant ground services available?

I just noticed that EGLC London City from OrbX still doesn't have services like pushback tugs at the departure gates.