Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Orbx Van Nuys is out

9 hours ago, wim123 said:

seems to me orbx has stepped down in quality a lot.

Orbx has been a shell of themselves since John stepped down and replaced by Anna. John had his haters but the dude was no frills. You didn't have to guess his stance because he'd let you know it in 7 words or less.  He would never have allowed Orbx to try to become the "Steam" of flight simming, let alone rush production, allow such low quality modelling and texture and also allow outsider developers on their store front. 

Rather than setting the stage Anna has turned the company into one trying to maintain what's left of what John built as the pieces of it start crumbling. It's becoming a joke. Orbx currently is riding the coattails of Orbx past. Instead of setting the standard they are becoming the stereotype. John was an word not allowed but he was a straight forward committed honest word not allowed who never strayed from his morale obligations as a flight simming fan to not sell out for the easy road. Anna is ruining the company 

Edited by styckx
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

10 hours ago, wim123 said:

seems to me orbx has stepped down in quality a lot.

More like ORBX has not stepped up to MSFS standards. There are other developers running circles around ORBX scenery in MSFS at the moment. Flightbeam, DD, FS Dreamteam, Aerosoft and Fly Tampa are examples. ORBX products still looks real good on other platforms.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Upvote 2

It's ok airport. Brought some helicopter parts to KVNY heli hangar 🙂

unknown.png?width=2150&height=1209

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

17 hours ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

I think the green centerline lights might be there by default and might not be changeable yet.  Not 100% sure though.

In any case, unfortunately this airport is very very low res (texture wise).  The windsock is also floating. The flags are not animated.  This is just off a quick passthrough. No 3d hangar signs or anything like that.

I'd give it a OK rating. 

Disappointing!

Thanks for the heads up!

Think I'll hold off on purchasing for now...

Chris Camp

The OrbX airports for MSFS truly are hit & miss at this point.

I bought a few during the recent OrbX sale, and I'm now finding out that more than half a year after being made aware of the problems with missing ILS-autotune and selection in the G3000, some of their airports still are missing that feature. 

What a bummer... so looking forward to this. Wasn't impressed with Burbank airport from Orbx either.

Santa Barbara is a frame killer also.  But I really like Bella Cola and Catalina.  I think that the stiff flags is an SDK issue but not sure.

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

11 minutes ago, rjetster said:

Catalina is not bad... I wish Orbx would animate the people at their airports.

I think you'll find it's an Asobo/MS issue, not that Orbx can't or won't do them. Anyone else finding Van Nuys a bit on the stuttery  side?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Do high res textures cause a performance hit on mid/lower end systems?  There have been some complaints about textures on the DC-6 as well which also seems uncharacteristic of PMDG.  Perhaps this was a way of trying to optimize performance.  Although if other top end developers are making it work with high res textures, you'd expect orbx to be able to as well...

Aorus Master X570 / 5800x3d w/ Arctic Freezer ii 280 / Asus TUF 3090 w/ gigabyte BIOS / 2x16GB b-die @ 3600Mhz 

23 minutes ago, bbsmitz said:

Do high res textures cause a performance hit on mid/lower end systems?  There have been some complaints about textures on the DC-6 as well which also seems uncharacteristic of PMDG.  Perhaps this was a way of trying to optimize performance.  Although if other top end developers are making it work with high res textures, you'd expect orbx to be able to as well...

Not sure but first person shooter games are way more demanding than MSFS in the graphics department IMO.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

9 hours ago, steve310002 said:

I immediately noticed the low textures in the preview shots of Van Nuys. Looking at hangar roof tops etc., I can clearly see pixels and that it is not crisp and hi-def as would be expected in 2021. Pity.

Yes it is most unfortunate that Van Nuys is less than stellar. Because it is an Orbx product it is not likely to be developed by a competitor. We all lose on this one.

and I was looking forward to having this one. Pooh.

• Like 1

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

2 minutes ago, raymar said:

Yes it is most unfortunate that Van Nuys is less than stellar. Because it is an Orbx product it is not likely to be developed by a competitor. We all lose on this one.

and I was looking forward to having this one. Pooh.

There are many up-and-coming scenery devs that can fill in.

bs

Just now, bean_sprout said:

There are many up-and-coming scenery devs that can fill in.

bs

That is a good thing.  Choices will only improve the sim.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

2 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

Santa Barbara is a frame killer also.  But I really like Bella Cola and Catalina.  I think that the stiff flags is an SDK issue but not sure.

bs

Strange, my Santa Barbara works great and has good FPS.

Lee

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090