Sign in to follow this  
JDWalley

Can't reinstall MSFS after reinstalling Windows

I had the premium deluxe version purchased and installed on my H: drive.  A couple of weeks ago, Microsoft pushed update KB50003637 on me and, when I installed it, it crashed with a BSOD (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, for what it's worth).  When Windows tried to undo the changes, it resulted in a corrupted install that, among other things, had no audio.  After working through the problem for over a week with Microsoft tech support, I was informed that they had run out of ideas, and that my only option was to reformat my boot drive and do a "clean install" of Windows on it, then try to reinstall all my apps.  I've been doing that over the weekend, and have gotten practically everything back were it was. 

Except for MSFS.

I open up the Microsoft Store and search for "Microsoft Flight Simulator."  As expected, it tells me that I own the Premium Deluxe version.  I go to that version's product page, and click on the "INSTALL" button in the upper right.  When I do so, I get a dialog box with a drop-down of all my drives and the message: "From your compatible drives, pick one with at least 93.0 GB" along with buttons for "Free up space" and "Install."  I select the H drive from the drop-down; it reads H: 1978.1 GB disk space remaining."  I click on the "Install" button.

Nothing happens.

Or, to be more specific, the "Install" button flashes once when I click on it, but the dialog stays open, as if it's still waiting for input.  I can wait for five minutes, and nothing happens.  If I click on another window on the screen (say, this web browser), the drop-down box listing the drives jumps back up to the C : drive, as if it's refreshing the box and still waiting for me to pick a drive.

I don't want to pick another drive on my system to test it out, because each of the others is used for a specific professional purpose, and installing it there would wind up taking up the space I will eventually need on them.  Besides. 1978.1 GB is certainly enough to fit 93 GB, and I've already have an installation sitting on that drive (with WIndowsApps and WpSystem folders), and I really don't want to risk the possibility of an extra installation eventually fouling up my system.

Any advice on how I can get it to install?

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

My only suggestion is to make sure the XBox app is installed and updated.  Use the XBox app and see if it will install from it.  Good luck.  This mess can be very frustrating.

3 hours ago, JDWalley said:

I click on the "Install" button.

Nothing happens.

Or, to be more specific, the "Install" button flashes once when I click on it, but the dialog stays open, as if it's still waiting for input.  I can wait for five minutes, and nothing happens.  If I click on another window on the screen (say, this web browser), the drop-down box listing the drives jumps back up to the C : drive, as if it's refreshing the box and still waiting for me to pick a drive.

I have the same problem, so I hope someone can offer us a solution.

Do all available windows and Ms store updates and try again if you haven't yet.

• Like 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

I have a similar situation.  I had some crazy stuff going on with Windows and seemed to have fixed it.  I shut down for the day and, when I went to restart the next day, I was met with some operating system not found messages.  I worked on it for a while and finally just quit. and bought a new gaming system - mine was a little old anyway.  I downloaded MSFS and flew it one time and then HP (the manufacturer of the new computer) did some updates and MSFS would not open.  I deleted and tried to reinstall.  Got to "Install" in the store and had the same results as above.  After several days of trying all the "fixes" offered by Zendesk -  several times - no luck.  I finally found a number to call the store and, over a period of 4+ hours, I must have talked to 8 or 10 people with Microsoft, Xbox, and the store.  None of them could fix the problem.  Some of them could not speak an English language that I could understand.  One of them tried to get my credit card information, and one, a Windows 10 expert, worked on my computer - taking over control and he couldn't figure it out.  The last one suggested that I request a refund.  I did and got a nice note back saying that it had been too long since my purchase.  I sent that response back to the Customer Service section and was redirected to the refund page and I have gotten two more no dice letters.  I still show ownership at the store.  I finally went with Steam and am flying again and rebuilt the old computer and am able to download on it, but I don't have two sets of controllers and it is very slow compared to the new computer.  Still unable to download to the new computer - Yes, I have deleted and retried.

John Wingold

I've managed to start the installation (whether it will go to completion is anybody's guess at present) by opening the Xbox app and trying the install from there. At first I got a message saying "preparing" then I got an error message 0x00000001. On googling this error for Xbox I found a web page https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/errors/error-code-0x80073D26 and followed the instructions under "Still having problems". It turned out that the Digital Ownership wasn't installed, so I installed that, and .... so far so good (about 700 MB downloaded so far).

Best way would be from clean install of Windows is to install FS2020 to C drive and when asked download the main program to H drive to a folder you create. Now those 2 folders (Wp...  ETC) are on the H drive you have to uninstall FS2020 from the Store and get everything off H drive you want to keep then low level format to clean off the file system on H finally start the above process again. Reason is if you have to clean install again the main files would be on your H drive and those 2 folders will be gone for good on the old W10 C drive install. What worries me is the 2 folders cannot be properly removed even with permission. Bad design there.

Edited by 40track

this is why steam version is better.  i get the same issues with all my windows store games like all the forza games.  what a mess indeed

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

Why on earth does it have to be so difficult to get MSFS installed and running? Most other games install and run without problems, but it seems MSFS has a  mind of it's own. THANK God, I haven't bought it yet, and won't until they have fixed in (if they ever do).

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

13 minutes ago, jlund said:

Why on earth does it have to be so difficult to get MSFS installed and running? Most other games install and run without problems, but it seems MSFS has a  mind of it's own. THANK God, I haven't bought it yet, and won't until they have fixed in (if they ever do).

you forget there are many many users who had np at all, the vast majority.

I know, but I don't recall any other flightsims that have had this issue with installing. I have owned flightsims since Flightsim ll, and sure everyone have had problems, BUT never with install. 

Besides the fact that my PC won't be capable of running MSFS with a decent result, both graphic wise and framerates, and that every time there's (mostly) a sim update, it seems to mess up things, that has kept me from buying it. 

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Steam is a lot easier, just buy and download (and then download more after launching the sim because lol why microsoft, just download everything from the start).

None of this digital ownership stuff.