Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

The new DC-6 Tablet hard to use

I find the location of the MSFS 2020 DC-6 AFE on the tablet very difficult to use. On the P3D version, it was to the forward- left of the cockpit when facing forward. Very easy to see and access without resorting to custom views. On the MSFS version it is below the left cockpit window, requiring you to scroll the cockpit view to the left and down each time you want to access the AFE. Is there a simple way around this?

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

2 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

I find the location of the MSFS 2020 DC-6 AFE on the tablet very difficult to use. On the P3D version, it was to the forward- left of the cockpit when facing forward. Very easy to see and access without resorting to custom views. On the MSFS version it is below the left cockpit window, requiring you to scroll the cockpit view to the left and down each time you want to access the AFE. Is there a simple way around this?

PMDG has set up 10 views around the cockpit that you can call with CTRL <number> . Furthermore you can bind any other key to these commands, I did  it with the numpad. The tablet is  CNTRL 0 bot I have just to hit 0 now. And as said by McDaniel above you can lift it upward by grabbing the edge with the mouse and moving it up 

More generally, Randazzo's video tutorials are priceless and there is one the first or second about cockpit orientation. Recommended. Hope that helps !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

PMDG has set up 10 views around the cockpit that you can call with CTRL <number> . Furthermore you can bind any other key to these commands, I did  it with the numpad. The tablet is  CNTRL 0 bot I have just to hit 0 now. And as said by McDaniel above you can lift it upward by grabbing the edge with the mouse and moving it up 

More generally, Randazzo's video tutorials are priceless and there is one the first or second about cockpit orientation. Recommended. Hope that helps !

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

15 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

The manual must feel really lonely

I find it unbeliveable the amount of "this does not work" "how do you do this" when by there very name is Precision Manuals Development Group. And so few a people dont even look at the introduction manual let alone the other 3 that come with it.

RTFM.

Let alone make a custom view within MSFS, my custom view of the tablet fills 90% of my screen. I dont mind helping people but when they cannot make any effort at all then, no.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

4 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I find it unbeliveable the amount of "this does not work" "how do you do this" when by there very name is Precision Manuals Development Group. And so few a people even look at the introduction manual let alone the other 3 that come with it.

RTFM.

Let alone make a custom view within MSFS, my custom view of the tablet fills 90% of my screen.

Yup, same here. The very first thing I did was making a custom view for the tablet and assigned a button to it on my throttle quadrant 

• Like 2

I think people have a desire to jump in and figure it out, but this bird isn't going to be very forgiving to that approach. Fortunately there are a lot of good videos and a printable PDF with step by step. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

4 minutes ago, RobJC said:

I think people have a desire to jump in and figure it out, but this bird isn't going to be very forgiving to that approach. Fortunately there are a lot of good videos and a printable PDF with step by step. 

Definitely agree, although the brilliance of the youtube series is that it allows for an almost jump-in kind of situation, even for a simpleton like me, and then the seriously detailed stuff can come later as you learn. It's such a great system if people decide to use it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Just wait till it releases on xbox!

Massive facepalm!

• Like 1

Chris Camp

Thanks for the helpful comments (and some not so helpful).  Actually I am fairly familiar with the cockpit layout and with the challenges of flying the aircraft, having spent a number of hours flying the P3D version of the PMDG DC-6.  I have gone through the checklists myself and flown it myself, manually started the engines, done the dry and wet takeoffs, calculated takeoff distances from runway altitude, amvient temperature, etc, and after I felt some familiarity with the aircraft I began to depend upon the AFE. I have studied aircraft technical manuals, some for the aircraft itself (I found an air force C-118  Liftmaster document very helpful.) So it's not that I a do not want to put in the time to learn the difficulties of the aircraft itself.  I did this in P3D. And as far as I can tell the aircraft itself has not changed in MSFS2020. The ONLY problem I am having is with the location of the tablet. It would have been helpful if the default position put the tablet in ready viewing position of the pilot. So it seems my difficulty is learning how to set up custom cockpit views, which is more of an MSFS2020 challenge I think than a complicated DC-6 challenge. 

• Upvote 3

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Okay, I have gone to the cockpit and tried again. I see now that CTRL 0 brings up the tablet, and there are several other views ready to access. My problem is that I was using the numbers on the numeric keypad to the right of the keyboard rather than the numbers along the top. This all looks great!  Now I can spend my time on learning the challenges of the aircraft. Thanks again for your comments.

• Like 1

its not so difficult, ctrl + alt + number sets a view, alt + number recalls it. they stay saved for the planes when set.

i assigned viewpoint changes to arrows. left right up down, thats basically all you need to do.

good luck

9 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

My problem is that I was using the numbers on the numeric keypad to the right of the keyboard rather than the numbers along the top.

You can use the numpad. Do that

Open the Controls panel - Open Controls Options - Open Camera

Open Instruments Views (and NOT Cockpit Camera)

Look for the Toggle Instrument View <number>

The first column is filled with a CNTRL <number>, fill the second column with a numpad number (or any key you want)  with the search/select an input function.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

5 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

You can use the numpad. Do that

Open the Controls panel - Open Controls Options - Open Camera

Open Instruments Views (and NOT Cockpit Camera)

Look for the Toggle Instrument View <number>

The first column is filled with a CNTRL <number>, fill the second column with a numpad number (or any key you want)  with the search/select an input function.

When you use the numpad number, do you have to use Num lock on, or is it not necessary,?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310