Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

DC-6 : Feeling a little lost if not overwhelmed ?

Welcome to the club.

Just to remind you that  PMDG has done a series of tutorial videos which is an excellent introduction to this aircraft. This is #1 .  You can fire up your MFS and watch the tutorial on a tablet or phone. 

There are only 19 more. Oops I maybe should n't have added that 😅

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

17 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Welcome to the club.

Just to remind you that  PMDG has done a series of tutorial videos which is an excellent introduction to this aircraft. This is #1 .  You can fire up your MFS and watch the tutorial on a tablet or phone. 

There are only 19 more. Oops I maybe should n't have added that 😅

And each video is full of info that will make flying the DC6 enjoyable. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 ,  FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

yes, hehe i just bought  a new printer to printout the manuals, i def prefer paper here, instead of alt tabbing.

2 minutes ago, wim123 said:

yes, hehe i just bought  a new printer to printout the manuals, i def prefer paper here, instead of alt tabbing.

I am not fond of video tutorials in general and prefer the written medium that you can browse back and forth but these ones are excellent.   And no alt-tab if you have a mobile with an internet connection.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

The manual for the DC6 from PMDG is around 350 pages long. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 ,  FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If the MSFS PNDG DC-6 is anything like the FSX version, the aircraft takes lots of practice to fly it properly.  Especially in slowing it down for landing. 

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

The manual for the DC6 from PMDG is around 350 pages long. 

I think it's really worth printing because the airplane is very complex.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

8 minutes ago, jmdriskell said:

If the MSFS PNDG DC-6 is anything like the FSX version, the aircraft takes lots of practice to fly it properly.  Especially in slowing it down for landing. 

Adjust BMEP to 90, wait about 10 miles and aircraft will gradually slow down to about 175 knots, then slowly apply up to about 20 degrees of flaps and you can descend at about 1,000 FPM maintaining that speed. Piece of cake. 

Edited by Bobsk8

I watched the video on the autopilot it helped out alot.

I too, would recommend watching all of Rob's videos. They are well done and full of insights regarding operating radial engine aircraft in general.

I have/had this aircraft in P3D and flew it quite a bit. But, I could never reliably start all 4 engines. Sad. After watching the 'Engine Starting' video, I've got it now.

Imagine if there were videos such as these for other complex aircraft? Done by the manufacturer? Who had real life experience?

I hope, but doubt, that Rob does such a series of videos when the Boeings are released.

Edited by RichieFly
i can haz spellien

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

If you have a log in for Youtube, you can subscribe to the PMDG channel and have it listed with other ones subscribed to.  I have several aviation, flight training and photography channels subscribed to.  The nice thing about this most modern TV's, streaming devices have a YT app, which I have on my Apple TV box, so I can watch on my big screen and use my remote to pause on the TV and pause the simulator on my PC, without having to switch between programs on my PC with my two monitor setup.

Mike

I have to say that PMDG created a masterpiece. The video tutorials are a great help. 

This is my first PMDG product and first radial engine airliner and I have to say it was the Youtube series they created that put me over the top when deciding to buy. Don't regret it a bit! I spent all weekend itching to get back into the cockpit (whenever I wasn't) and continue learning. Really good work by their team.

I do still need to go through descent and landing procedures, though. I made it down safely last night at O'Hare, but I do think most of my passengers will be suing the airline after the experience.

• Like 2

The Operations Manual numbers 442 levers, switches, gauges, knobs and whatnotelse. Of those only 9 are inop.

Karl

• Like 2

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

Hi,

Have not yet bought the bird cause I am away from the computer for some time. Any way to get the manual so I can learn before I get time to fly her?

Best regards,

Pierre