Sign in to follow this  
Holdit

Late to the party but loving XP11

2 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

not everyone has that kinda money.   Let alone upgrading the current system 

VR is a luxury not a necessity as yet.

pre 11.50 I would have agreed.

Now that VR with no stutters is the standard (stutters really ruin the VR experience), I would say VR is more of a if not equal necessity to get enjoyment/the feeling of flight than a joystick and rudder pedals.

also VR - even with all graphics settings to minimum - is orders of magnitude better than the best 2D MSFS graphics, you just can't compare the feeling of sitting in the cockpit with sitting in front of your PC.

I got bored trying to find where @Janov actually took his pic

This is my "EDDS" vicinity with current weather

OB2GG6G.png

To his actual then

5000.thumb.jpg.be3f52f3e351ce56df7c7998e

I guess the redtop buildings are one of the scenery packs I have since his didn't

1953637922_X-Plane5000.thumb.jpg.ba2509c

1 hour ago, GoranM said:

X-Plane isn't for everyone

Seems something of a redundant statement?

Meat isn't for everyone, Icecream isn't for everyone, BDSM definitely isn't for everyone.

X-Plane is a flight simulator, and a pretty serious one at that, but also so much more than that.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

19 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Nice! Didn't know XP reached those capabilities in modeling wheeled vehicles. Video is admittedly limited, but for what it shows it seems XP is almost able to rival other specialized platforms.

Can traction wheels be modeled now? Maybe with a plugin?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

5 hours ago, mSparks said:

Conversely, there are some 2M+ "pilots" who have been led to believe the latest sim to drop is the pinnacle of all things flight sim and all other flight sims are inferior in every way.

To each his own, but I think that the 2M+ pilots are drawn in by the constant / frequent updates and engagement from the Dev.

As much as I like Helo flying in XP, LR (over the years) lags too much in the update / engagement area for me.

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

The only thing that annoys me from an msfs perspective is the general ignorance that accompanies many of the comments about it.

First they lay into me because they insist VR doesnt matter

For me, VR does not matter. For folk with panels / full cockpit setups (like me), VR simply does not work well when trying to click physical (not virtual) buttons, or interacting with a kneeboard / EFB etc.

I can, however, see why someone would like VR for Helos... and I think it is a beast for drone flying.

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

Then I get abuse because I dont believe it will have a useable flight system anytime soon.

After that I get abuse because I point out achieving what they showed in the promo videos would need a really high end machine.

These days I get abuse because I dont rate the difference between msfs ortho or XP ortho as either impressive or important. 

Meanwhile Warthunder, DCS and XP between them cover every aspect of flight sim you can think of to an amazing standard but I'm a heretic for thinking there is more to flight sim than pressing ctrl e to start your engines and flying over your house in different 3d models.

I think many would disagree with your various positions on flight modelling / machine capabilities etc.

To me, the viability (release / constant development etc) of a flight sim depends on "mass" appeal leading to a strong user base that can fund constant / frequent development to improve the specific areas.

I can write a list of issues (from my perspective) with each sim, but that is just where it is at today, where it will be a year from now depends on those frequent updates. With a major release once a month, any sim will advance pretty fast...compared to what we have experienced over the past decade.

32 minutes ago, mSparks said:

pre 11.50 I would have agreed.

Now that VR with no stutters is the standard (stutters really ruin the VR experience), I would say VR is more of a if not equal necessity to get enjoyment/the feeling of flight than a joystick and rudder pedals.

also VR - even with all graphics settings to minimum - is orders of magnitude better than the best 2D MSFS graphics, you just can't compare the feeling of sitting in the cockpit with sitting in front of your PC.

Agreed to what ?

It has nothing to do with stutters or no stutters or orders of magnitude , i simply stated that it's not affordable by all , it's not a necessity to enjoy if you can't afford. 

I still enjoy XP / DR / AC without VR and have made my own controls all under a total 100 dollars along with a steering wheel (self made )  for DR / AC.  

Have tried VR in XP , nothing in a virtual world can replace it , but its not cheap for most of us.  But I still enjoy all of these without VR , the day I can afford , do you think I would go back to the old 3d ?

Joystick / rudder pedals a necessity , VR not as yet. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

34 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Agreed to what ?

That VR  is a luxury not a necessity

34 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

that it's not affordable by all

If you have controls half decent VR for flight sim starts at about $200 and goes all they way up to some $8000 for

"affordability" hasn't been an issue for a long time (I got my PSVR headet for €200 some 3 years ago)

The key issue was never really price, the issue was previously it didn't matter how much you spent the flight experience was sub standard, because you "feel" every stutter in your stomach.

In fact, if you have an Android phone, Experiencing Xplane VR is $10 for a phone based headset and https://riftcat.com/vridge

1 hour ago, FlyBaby said:

For folk with panels / full cockpit setups (like me), VR simply does not work well when trying to click physical (not virtual) buttons

For folks with full cockpit setups like me, Xplane VR is an absolute dream, because there is no separation between the cockpit, the physical buttons you press, spin and move and the outside scenery. 

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

13 minutes ago, mSparks said:

That VR  is a luxury not a necessity

If you have controls half decent VR for flight sim starts at about $200 and goes all they way up to some $8000 for

"affordability" hasn't been an issue for a long time (I got my PSVR headet for €200 some 3 years ago)

The key issue was never really price, the issue was previously it didn't matter how much you spent the flight experience was sub standard, because you "feel" every stutter in your stomach.

In fact, if you have an Android phone, Experiencing Xplane VR is $10 for a phone based headset and https://riftcat.com/vridge

For folks with full cockpit setups like me, Xplane VR is an absolute dream, because there is no separation between the cockpit, the physical buttons you press, spin and move and the outside scenery. 

It is a luxury , you don't get the point , a VR headset 200 bucks , a GPU / system capable to handle it. 

I already have Ivry but for that I need a new phone :biggrin:

Have tried riftcat too didn't like it.

Ivry was the one i had used with XP , this is really good , the point is , it's just not for XP , its for DCS / il2 / DR / AC , DCS anyway runs like word not allowed for me. I wouldn't spend on something to just run XP , I use all of them.

But even for that i need a good system.  And in this time I think one needs to think before upgrading unless you have a good balance in the bank. 

Just getting the headset is nothing , i can go and purchase one tomorrow but it will run with stutters on my system , so you get the point ? it's not just about the headset , it's the system too.  Hence it's a luxury , unless one has a good system already the 200 bucks is nothing. 

When i have the luxury of spending for a new system to handle VR then VR will become a necessity.

Edited by HumptyDumpty

3 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

It is a luxury , you don't get the point , a VR headset 200 bucks , a GPU / system capable to handle it. 

I already have Ivry but for that I need a new phone :biggrin:

Have tried riftcat too didn't like it.

Ivry was the one i had used with XP , this is really good , the point is , it's just not for XP , its for DCS / il2 / DR / AC , DCS anyway runs like word not allowed for me.

But even for that i need a good system.  And in this time I think one needs to think before upgrading unless you have a good balance in the bank. 

Just getting the headset is nothing , i can go and purchase one tomorrow but it will run with stutters on my system , so you get the point ? it's not just about the headset , it's the system too.  Hence it's a luxury , unless one has a good system already the 200 bucks is nothing. 

When i have the luxury of spending for a new system to handle VR then VR will become a necessity.

And all I heard was

"Upgrading is a necessity"

AutoATC Developer

1 minute ago, mSparks said:

And all I heard was

"Upgrading is a necessity"

Money is a luxury :biggrin:

11 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Money is a luxury :biggrin:

yeah - and VR has saved me a ton of it that Id otherwise have spent on avio benzine.

As of today Ive almost done as much full VFR simulated cross country in VR as I have in the real one.

AutoATC Developer

5 minutes ago, mSparks said:

yeah - and VR has saved me a ton of it that Id otherwise have spent on avio benzine.

As of today Ive almost done as much full VFR simulated cross country in VR as I have in the real one.

ofc it would save a lot of money. 

real is real :) 

1 hour ago, HumptyDumpty said:

ofc it would save a lot of money. 

real is real 🙂

Sure, but have you seen the price of simulator flight controls?

AutoATC Developer

43 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Sure, but have you seen the price of simulator flight controls?

I make my own :)