Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Opinions on the CRJ and Aerosoft

I just looked through 40+ pages on this forum and tried using search to no avail. Is the CRJ any good? Does Aerosoft support their products? I can see a place for a regional plane in the hangar but really want close to study level. 

Thanks.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I have it and its actually quite good and enjoyable to fly.  The only issue I have is occasionally it will miss capturing the LOC and I find the trim is very sensitive and a challenge to stabilize on approach.  I actually find this an issue with MSFS in general so may be related to my setup.  It is not as indepth as say the PMDG 737 or FSL A320 but for normal flight without failures it is a reasonably complex aircraft and definitely one that I would recommend.

• Like 6

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

18 minutes ago, RobJC said:

I just looked through 40+ pages on this forum and tried using search to no avail. Is the CRJ any good? Does Aerosoft support their products? I can see a place for a regional plane in the hangar but really want close to study level. 

Thanks.

Two Twitch streamers who are type rated CRJ pilots in real life, EdwardThePilot and TimeToJet, have said the CRJ is really good for MSFS.  EdwardThePilot said the MSFS CRJ is the best CRJ compared to the one on X-Plane and P3D.  From my understanding, Mathias of Aerosoft said the CRJ for MSFS is meant to simulate the day to day normal flying of the CRJ as detailed as possible, but Aerosoft did not simulate failures for the MSFS CRJ.

I don't own Aerosoft products, but they have patched the CRJ several times since its release for MSFS so they are fixing the issues with it in MSFS.  However, I have heard mixed reviews about the support in their forums (to be fair, I do see Aerosoft employees answering questions about the CRJ in their forums, but some people outside of their forums still don't seem to be happy).

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Have a look also at The Dude's videos here: The Dude - YouTube

He is a real life CRJ driver and gives some interesting background detail on the aircraft.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

Thanks guys. Seems like a good addition to the hangar.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I’m type rated on all variants except the 1000 and I’m also…well was a check airman on it…yesterday was my last day at my airline so I can move on to bigger and better things. I’ll write a quick write up on it sometime next week so you have one more view point on it. 

• Like 6

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I’m type rated on all variants except the 1000 and I’m also…well was a check airman on it…yesterday was my last day at my airline so I can move on to bigger and better things. I’ll write a quick write up on it sometime next week so you have one more view point on it. 

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

2 hours ago, RobJC said:

Thanks guys. Seems like a good addition to the hangar.

I like(d) it too. Definitely a good decision to consider it. And AS support is definitely there.

Just note that since SU4 there is a known issue if you use the combination MSFS from the MS Store and the CRJ bought from MSFS marketplace as *some* users including me cannot even install/load the CRJ without a CTD. MS acknowledged it’s their (encryption) issue and is working on a fix - since almost 4 weeks my CRJ is grounded now. Just today MS support asked me to hand in dxdiag and msinfo files. 

not saying that the store MSFS and marketplace CRJ combo *will* cause CTDs on your machine but MSFS steam and/or CRJ directly from AS are possibly safer, at least for this specific DLC encryption issue I and some other users face

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/as-crj-bought-via-msfs-marketplace-causes-instant-ctds/411642

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

1 hour ago, DAD said:

I like(d) it too. Definitely a good decision to consider it. And AS support is definitely there.

Just note that since SU4 there is a known issue if you use the combination MSFS from the MS Store and the CRJ bought from MSFS marketplace as *some* users including me cannot even install/load the CRJ without a CTD. MS acknowledged it’s their (encryption) issue and is working on a fix - since almost 4 weeks my CRJ is grounded now. Just today MS support asked me to hand in dxdiag and msinfo files. 

not saying that the store MSFS and marketplace CRJ combo *will* cause CTDs on your machine but MSFS steam and/or CRJ directly from AS are possibly safer, at least for this specific DLC encryption issue I and some other users face

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/as-crj-bought-via-msfs-marketplace-causes-instant-ctds/411642

Thanks for the heads up! I have the steam version so maybe I am safe? 

My approach is to purchase scenery from the in-game store. I like it as it keeps it all in one place and is the easiest way to manage and to reinstall if I ever need to do so. However, I think it may be best to purchase aircraft directly from the actual developer. Aircraft tend to go through more updates and need more support. So far the approach as worked well for me.

• Like 1

Dan Scott

While it's not study level, Aerosoft usually does very good in making it seem like it was. There are no rough edges and hardly any "inop" switches, so the illusion is really good. There are no failures however, if that is what you are looking for. All in all I can recommend it, it's the airliner with the highest immersion level so far (DC-6 excluded).

it's a very good add-on and great value. It was also a bit of a development test case collaboration between Asobo and Aerosoft intended to thrash out ideas and capabilities for the SDK and was in that respect, quite important in paving the way for other more fancy add-ons from developers such as PMDG, so it also has the advantage of being well coded and designed to work with the sim down the line when things get added and patched.

As we know, the term study sim is just about the most nebulous description ever with regard to things flight sim, since if you are studying normal operations, an add-on aeroplane which doesn't simulate failures is perfectly adequate for study and is therefore a 'study sim'. In the wider sense of what some people regard as a study sim, whereby the thing could simulate pretty much everything which could ever happen to the real aeroplane, then the MSFS Aerosoft CRJ is not that, but then again there are really very few - if any - simulated aeroplanes for other sims including P3D, FSX and XPlane, which could be considered to do that completely either, since many do not have circuit breakers which work, many don't have maintenance modes on their FMCs, many can't simulate a realistic flight plan dump into the FMC's storage and can't realistically align the INS, most don't have properly simulated cargo holds with their hydraulics, heating, dump blowout panels pressure relief valves and fire suppression systems, or don't have a proper steering bypass tiller system, the seats don't move up and down and side to side in the cockpit in many of them, the in flight entertainment system doesn't show Fast and Furious 27 on a loop, the cup holders don't function and you can't go and make a cup of tea in the galley or heat up a meat pie in the microwave and the cushions aren't soft, there are no lifejackets under the seats and no oxygen masks, and it doesn't take five minutes of faffing about to attach the towbar to the nosewheel like it does on the real thing if it isn't lined up perfectly with a goddam micrometer lol. You could name any number of things in this regard, depending on how picky you wanted to get, and if you did, then nothing is really a study sim.

So back with the CRJ, it does simulate pretty much every aspect of typical day-to-day cockpit operations for an airline pilot, and pretty much every switch it needs to have working to do that, does work. It also has a very comprehensive in cockpit tablet which allows you to control and customise things to your liking in a vast number of ways to the point that it is more study sim than some things which have claimed to be in the past. So I don't think you'd be disappointed if you are on the lookout for realism. It flies pretty well and behaves itself in the sim most of the time too, and so for the price, you can go wrong. The forthcoming longer variants will be a bit more useful, since the 900 and 1000 are the real workhorses around Europe certainly, but in the meantime, the ones you get in the current package do the job.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 8

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

6 hours ago, MarkW said:

I find the trim is very sensitive and a challenge to stabilize on approach.  I actually find this an issue with MSFS in general so may be related to my setup. 

Mark,

Do you have a FLIGHT_MODEL.CFG?

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

While it's not study level, Aerosoft usually does very good in making it seem like it was. There are no rough edges and hardly any "inop" switches, so the illusion is really good. There are no failures however, if that is what you are looking for. All in all I can recommend it, it's the airliner with the highest immersion level so far (DC-6 excluded).

That’s right after it’s the only CRJ on the market so it’s him or nothing.

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case