Sign in to follow this  
Carabou

How to set up views

Can anyone please explain or point me in the direction of an explanation on how to set up camera views? In addition are their any tools out there that make the job easy? I am interested in setting up wing views. This brings me to another question - In FS9, the wing views had to be in the mdl and visible in vc mode. I would really like to have them set up in a separate view so I can switch between vc and wingview. Is this possible in FSX? Is it possible in FSX if the wings are not visible in the VC mdl?I hope this makes sense. Sorry if it doesn't.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Hi. What I do is copy the camera section from a default FSX plane aircraft.cfg and then add them to the aircraft.cfg of the plane I want the camera views to appear. You will have to view the effects and make the necessary changes in the x, y and z axes locations and the pitch, bank and heading sections. Look at the Camera section in the SDK. So far I have camera views in about 25 of my FS9 planes that I imported into FSX. Regards, Bob.

Jeff,your starting point is the Cameras SDK.and a brief study of the differences between various cameras directly from the Cameras.cfg (up in the same folder as the fsx.cfg - NOT the one in the FSX folder!)The views that show origin=cockpit or virtual cockpit reference the inside model it appears. Camera definitions that refer to origin=center reference the outside model.If you slide out onto wing in the Baron from the VC and look back there are external pieces missing - anything that couldn't normally be seen from the cockpit is omitted (like in FS9). You can look out the window from the VC and see whatever portion of the wing would normally be visible but it has no underside etc.The new "outside views" found in the individual aircraft.cfg files MOVE like a VC view (slowly), but show origin=center so they are sort of a hybrid. A 'VC' view that references the outside model instead of the inside model. Question2: you want to SWITCH to a VC wing view without turning your head? The default setup for cameras has the snap view to the side with the numberpad in the 2D but it is 90 deg and may not look exactly at the wing. By default, the VC has panning with both keys and tophat; you could change the keys method to 'snap' but it would still be directly to the side.Think instead... Those extra VC views, I suspect, are what you want to model - only looking out at the wing(s).You could reuse one of them or create a new one just like them only with (a) a new guid (:( a different location and viewpoint. Should take only a couple minutes once you catch on to that it is that you want to do.I don't quite see the need for any tool; I copy an "almost" camera definition, assign a new guid with the little MS tool, change the few parameters that I want to put the camera where I want it and save the AC.cfg file.1. copy a vc view in the AC config, rename/renumber it, set initial xyz to 0,0,0; intital pbh to 0,0,02. in the sim select that view and MOVE it exactly where you want it.3. SAVE A FLIGHT WITH THAT VIEW SET UP.4. look at the saved flight (.FLT) where it documents the CURRENT POSITION, LOCATION of the new camera5. substitute the saved offset values in the FLT for the initial 0 values in the definition that you added (and zero out the offsets in the saved flight). Save FLT file and CFG and reload AC. 6. If all went well you now have a new view that defaults to exactly where you want it anytime you load that AC.7. Repeat as needed.Hope this gets you where you want to be.Loyd

Thanks Loyd, great answer! I'm also interested in setting up new views and your description will make it very easy.Have a great day,