Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

Regarding Vista Posts...

With the coming general release of Vista it's becoming more and more important for all of us to consider our options for OS upgrades, new OS installs, etc. But it seems that some, but not all, of the Vista-related posts are getting relegated to the hardware forum. I think this is too important a subject to not be right here up-front in the main forum (particularly as Vista has nothing to do directly with hardware). There isn't much in the way of software that I can think of that will affect the performance of FSX more than the OS. So, why not leave the Vista-related posts here? And, what will happen to the SP1 posts? And the DX10 patch posts? And all of the performance-related posts concerning all three? These are going to be THE critical issues in the coming months and I think the mods have to think this through again and relook at moving these issues outside the main forum. Just my considered opinion. Any others have any thoughts?Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I think every registered user should have their own sub forum and a rule that you can only post in your own sub forum. That way, it will be like talking to yourself!!!If not that, then every post should be delegated to it's own sub forum. In that way a post would never need to be moved!! Just think about that, mods!!!Pretty soon there will be enough sub forums that users will have no idea where to post!Just my thoughts,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development Team Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/FSEconomy Member:http://www.fseconomy.com/

Guest allcott

The operating system has nothing to do with what is discussed here, the buts' and bolts` of FSX. All Vista posts should be in the hardware forum, as that is precisely where the problems will manifest themselves, so Vista users might as well get used to posting there in the first place :)Allcott

Yeah, hardware forum, with maybe a few key pinned posts to build on, maybe?

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

Just a note, but if I were running Vista and had a problem with missing textures and thought that it may be a vista issue, why would I even think of posting it in a hardware forum as opposed to a general FSX forum?!?!?!You are entitled to run your house they way in which you feel fit, however new users coming in here looking for a solution to their problem with FSX may not think to go check out the hardware forum to find out that their problem is an inherent vista related issue that may be widely reported.Personally, when I have a software issue, I don't go looking in a hardware forum for the answer. If my joystick doesn't wanna fly, then sure, that's where I'll start, but otherwise, I'd look here first if I'm having FSX problems under VistaThink about it logically, decide what is best for AVSIM. You want information to be readily available, and well organized. Moving a software thread to the hardware forum is negating those directives.If indeed, Vista requires its own forum, then I would also make sense that Mac users running it, and WinXP users running it, should all have their own forums to go play in. Doesn't make sense to me. But it is your house :)

I don't disagree with you or any of the other posters in this thread. To be honest, I am twisted on the whole subject. The issue to-date has been that most topics dealing with Vista also included a high proportion of hardware related discussion; that's why they have almost automatically been moved to the hardware sub forum (which is another gripe I have... We already had a stand alone hardware forum, but users were (apparently) too lazy to go that far down in the forum listings to post their HDWR issues there. We were forced to create a sub forum here)... Anyway, I am tempted to set up a major forum section entitled OS/Hardware/Drivers, consolidate the now two existing Hardware forums into one, move the CTD forum under this major section, and create stand alone forums for OS's in Vista, XP, Mac and Unix/Linux. Then I would place that major section somewhere closer to the top of the forum list. I am still ruminating on that.Edit: I would also create forums in that major category for Joysticks, and other controllers, Video cards, etc.

I would vote that software posts that address fsx performance be allowed to stay here where they can give the most help. Info about defraggers, memory utilities that can help fsx performance considerably would get the most exposure here-and as they are not technically "hardware" but software- I see no confict and have often wondered why these are moved to the hardware forum.I know in my case-it isn't a matter of being lazy-but a matter of time. I come to this forum 99% of my time because that is all the time I have-if I have the luxury I'll try to get to the others but seldom do.As for Vista-as that will be a whole other huge issue that includes hardware, drivers etc.-perhaps it should have its own area-but a general post saying I get better/worse performance with vista-or what version of vista will make fsx work the best would be of interest here-and again a software issue.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

I've found that a carefully worded search phrase with the default "search all forums" most often finds my solutions in the shortest period of time. It really doesn't matter what forum the answer is in to me.

Guest allcott

>I would vote that software posts that address fsx performance>be allowed to stay here where they can give the most help.>Info about defraggers, memory utilities that can help fsx>performance considerably would get the most exposure here-and>as they are not technically "hardware" but software- I see no>confict and have often wondered why these are moved to the>hardware forum.>>I know in my case-it isn't a matter of being lazy-but a matter>of time. I come to this forum 99% of my time because that is>all the time I have-if I have the luxury I'll try to get to>the others but seldom do.>>As for Vista-as that will be a whole other huge issue that>includes hardware, drivers etc.-perhaps it should have its own>area-but a general post saying I get better/worse performance>with vista-or what version of vista will make fsx work the>best would be of interest here-and again a software issue.>For the first six months to a year most of the posts are likely to be of the `I installed Vista and now my XXX doesn't work" variety. These are hardware issues and as such, clearly belong in the Hardware forum.As for the "will it, won't it work with Vista?", frankly, I think we'd be better off without ANY posts until the dust settles - you can already see there are going to be hundreds, if not thousands, of posts which won't be willing or able to clearly define what drivers and software are running, let alone what version of Vista, in whatever bit-flavour. Frankly the whole idea of leaving Vista posts in this general FSX forum is going to do to this forum what the FSX posts did to the previous general FS forum - flood it, and get in the way of other issues that do belong here. I agree with Tom, rename the Hardware forum, or start a completely separate forum for Vista-related issues, broken into sub-forums for each version of Vista. Or else the inevitable tidal wave of Vista dissatisfaction may well bring this forum to its knees.Allcott

Guest dpc

I like the layout idea you just described Tom.

Guest diajohn2

It is becoming difficult to find the correct forum for some subjects.Vista is not hardware so I would not think of going there but I can be trained. (not according to my wife, of course). It may be time for a total reorg of the entire forum. It may require users to have several clicks to get to their area but with highspeed so prevalent it would not be a big deal. Now how do we organize...

Guest WhiteIce89

I'm currently running 64-bit Vista Ultimate, and there's one thing that needs to be addressed and that is inflated concerns over driver support. I'm not too sure about OEM, but if you have retail hardware, it is more than likely that most if not all of your hardware is already supported, and if it isn't, then it will be on January 30. Let's not forget that Vista comes loaded with drivers. In fact, I've only had to make a single driver installation after installing Vista, and that was for my X-Fi sound card (for which drivers already exist, 64 or 32-bit for Vista by the way). People have gotten a little too paranoid about the driver support.

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

>I agree with Tom, rename the Hardware forum, or start a completely >separate forum for Vista-related issues, broken into sub-forums for >each version of Vista. Or else the inevitable tidal wave of Vista >dissatisfaction may well bring this forum to its knees.I think that the main issue at hand is, are these posts actually issues with FSX, or are they with Hardware. For someone with a non-functioning joystick in Vista, it's obvious where it should be. For someone asking whether or not the sound is screwy in FSX under Vista, I would say that it would belong in the FSX forum.A lot of issues that are to do with XP, will also be inherant in Vista, and vice-versa. Therefore, I would think that segregating by OS would be contrary to the effectiveness of the AVSIM experience. What I would suggest though, is that moderators are given clear definitions of what and when to move a thread.Some problems may get reported by people whom mention that they are running Vista, and all of a sudden that post ends up in an almost hidden hardware forum... all because they mentioned the OS name. I think, that if moderators read the post and determine whether the OS really matters with this problem, then they can decide to move it or not. This way, someone posting about a weird sound in the VC while using Vista will have their problem right alongside people having the same issues under XP...Anyways, totally up to you guys, I just came for the swordfight :)