Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

To Steam or not to Steam that is the question

I am in the process of buying a new PC (still going to keep current PC). I did have MSFS up on my current PC but took it down after many issues started cropping up. The issue appears to be related to my Xbox and Xbox membership. After trying all tricks I could muster and keeping an eye on this forum and many re downloads from the MS store I got nowhere so I uninstalled MSFS and have continued to use Prep3D for my flight sim satisfaction.  

I am in the process of buying a new PC and was thinking about installing the Steam version of MSFS which apparently does not (as far as I know) have the Xbox issues of the MS version. I would appreciate any comments members may have regarding the Microsoft versus the Steam versions of the simulator. 

When MSFS was first published and I installed it on my PC all was fine including the early updates then it all turned sour after another update and never worked again even after several downloads. I don't remember the problem number but I do know know that I was not alone and Xbox ownership and the ongoing sub were.

I am leaning toward going the Steam route on my next PC and would appreciate any advice and info members could provide.

• Like 1

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

@yellowjack I approved and moved your post from the Tips and Tricks section to the main forum. The other forum you posted in is not for questions or support.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Steam all the way. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Ms Store for me no regrets

• Like 2

• Like 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I purchased mine through the MS Store recently and since I have the XBOX/S it will be there as well for free. I seen it there for download soon and it already says "Owned"  I guess that is one of the perks if you have the XBOX/S/X consoles.

• Like 1

My only issue with steam is that 90% of the time after a CTD I must restart my computer. Steam launcher gets hung and I cannot always kill it in task manager. 

I don’t have a lot of CTDs but as increase add-ons and use VR they have increased. 

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

TBH not a lot of difference,

MS version gets updates a fraction earlier and the Steam version file system is easier to work with if you find computers a struggle.

In terms of playing the game though NADA difference.

I bought from Steam and have had no issues.  

• Like 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

i have many games on steam, but the civilian sims (both XP and MSFS) I get directly from their respective stores.

The installs / updates (to me) seem to be more straightforward. Also, if you want to participate in betas for MSFS, this option is currently only available to the MS store users.

OK Richard but why are you advocating "STEAM STEAM STEAM"? What are Steam's good points and are there any downsides. I just want a "reliable" flight sim that doesn't stop working and is impossible to fix which was my MSFS experience and I know that I wasn't the only one flying that flag. This is exacerbated because my network connection is copper to the nearest fiber box. To download MSFS takes most of a day and if that doesn't work its back to re-downloading  that gets very monotonous  very quickly.

• Like 1

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

MS Store for sure. I have it on "D:\ MSFS" and it has been a breeze to work with.

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

I have used Steam for years with XP , not sure why I bought MSFS from the Store ...... Senior moment I guess . Tho I have had Zero issues with the Store version .