Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

To Steam or not to Steam that is the question

Observation of  the forums leads to think that people having a problem with downloads/ installations are mostly with the MS Store, almost never with Steam.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just now, yellowjack said:

OK Richard but why are you advocating "STEAM STEAM STEAM"? What are Steam's good points and are there any downsides. I just want a "reliable" flight sim that doesn't stop working and is impossible to fix which was my MSFS experience and I know that I wasn't the only one flying that flag. This is exacerbated because my network connection is copper to the nearest fiber box. To download MSFS takes most of a day and if that doesn't work its back to re-downloading  that gets very monotonous  very quickly.

John every update was butter smooth and no crashes or issues 

MS version something went wrong with folder rights/permissions - could not get it reinstalled to save my life - so went with Ed Patino (avsim member) recommendation to use Steam version never looked back

That said asked for refund within a few days of buying it from MS and never heard back from them so I'll take it in the arm but never again

Oh and Steam folder structure is normal not a convoluted mess 

Edited by Richard Sennett
  • Like 4

Rich Sennett

Ms store no issues

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

No questions about it, Steam all the way. If I had to do it again I would not hesitate to go with Steam again. I am so glad I did because as as Dominque_K says, you just need to browse these forums to see that people constantly have issues with MS Store version, seldom if ever on Steam.

Since installing MSFS with Steam, and with all its subsequent updates, I have never once had to sign in or out of Steam.. It just works. Perfectly, all the time. Unlike MSStore. Plus, none of that utterly ridiculous MS Store encypted file nonsense. Steam. You won’t regret going with Steam. People here even buying the sim a second time to go with Steam. That says it all.

Edited by RaptyrOne
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

8 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

No questions about it, Steam all the way. If I had to do it again I would not hesitate to go with Steam again. I am so glad I did because as as Dominque_K says, you just need to browse these forums to see that people constantly

Perfectly stated Greg - good job 🙂

• Like 1

Rich Sennett

Steam for me aswell. I initially bought the sim on MS store but then my ISP cancelled their email service and a world of trouble started. I eventually  gave up trying to change emailadress and account in the MS Store and bought it again on Steam instead. Having used Steam in the past it was always trouble free. 

But a new problem has occured. To buy new content from the in-game store you have to use Steam Overlay for the transaction. And this just won't work on my PC, tried everything and realised that this is not an uncommon problem. Still have'nt found a solution so I'm going to reinstall when I have the time.

• Like 1

I've had issues with the Windows Store throwing an error when trying to download a sim update. In both cases I was able to resolve it, but it took many hours of troubleshooting the issue. If I could go back and do it all over, I would likely use Steam.

• Like 2

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

I think the way steam installs is WAY more user friendly than MS Store way where files are hidden and placed in stupid places. I bought the steam version, and no issues at all.

• Like 5

Mike

Intel 12700k No over clocking 32GB G-Skill 3600 Ram MSI RTX3080

MS Store. never had an issue downloading since launch.

Edited by Car147

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

I own both Steam and MS Store versions on various computers. With the MS Store version, from time to time, I get either (random):

- Please insert disc message (although I never purchased a DVD set --- just reboot and hope in more luck)

- Issues with authentication (I need to logout and login again in MS Store)

- MSFS launcher directing me to MS Store instead of running the sim (this is the most terrible, requiring long time to troubleshoot)

None of the problems above with the Steam version instead. So, I would say Steam forever.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Heavy Steam user myself, but in this case I’d recommend MS Store as more money goes to MS to keep the servers running, and also devs who sell on the marketplace.

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Steam all the way for sure. Nuff said. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

Steam user here as well. I had some problems with the very first sim update shortly after release last year, when the download got stuck and the entire sim essentially disappeared from my drive in the process.

But after that, it all went very smooth during the last few months. Updates seem to go active on Steam the moment they officially release, and the downloads within the sim itself didn't have any troubles either.

During the Steam installation, I selected a drive that only contains MSFS stuff for the Steam Library, and for the big package download inside the sim, I made a dedicated MSFS folder on the same drive. That one contains my community folder, so almost everything is in one place and easily accessible. There's only a few config files that reside in c:\user\appdata...whatever, but I almost never have to touch those.

• Like 1