Sign in to follow this  
SamratKathayat

Is there any way to get rid of these jagged edges in P3D?

I've tried searching up the internet just to get this fixed. Or maybe, just make it a bit better. Jagged lines & textures are inevitable in 1080p monitors like mine, but, I believe there's a way to make it look a bit better. The ground textures, taxiway linings, edges of buildings, static objects, aircrafts, everything looks jaggy but the one that really gets me is the jagged linings on aircraft wings & fuselage. Especially the FSLabs Airbus, Aerosoft A330, PMDG 777, 747, I've tried a few MSAA & AA combinations but they don't seem to help ;( I also did play around with Nvidia application settings, but no help. 

Around the leading edge:-

Jaggies-1.png

linings in the fuselage:-

Jaggies-2.png

The entire aircraft itself lol:-

Jaggies-3.png

& also sometimes in the cockpit gauges that makes it difficult to read:-

Jaggies-4.png

There is an AA problem with Nvidia drivers. You can try the newest one -- 471.11, some have found this to help the AA situation.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

5 minutes ago, pgde said:

There is an AA problem with Nvidia drivers. You can try the newest one -- 471.11, some have found this to help the AA situation.

I would be great if you'd provide some more info on that. & also if you can help me with the settings. :biggrin:

I believe these specific aliasing artifacts are expected from any rendering engine (these are specific to displaying sub pixel size triangles here or displaying more than 2 materials over a single pixel).

I also believe there is no other AA solution to solving these than TAA or Super Sampling.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

What are your current AA and Anio settings as it is? The image showing from the threshold towards the terminal looks like it's all set to very low quality.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I've further tested this a little bit, and you need to use at least 8x MSAA or 8x SSAA

However if you do, don't use FXAA otherwise it creates these types of jaggies at the typical locations you've spotted.

Otherwise on a 4K monitor I find FXAA ON + 4x SSAA is giving a good perf/visual balance, FXAA OFF + 8x SSAA is the best for eliminating the jaggies/shimmering on EFIS screens when moving the head.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

10 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

What are your current AA and Anio settings as it is? The image showing from the threshold towards the terminal looks like it's all set to very low quality.

Screenshot-21.png

This is the best I've got :(

11 hours ago, RXP said:

I've further tested this a little bit, and you need to use at least 8x MSAA or 8x SSAA

However if you do, don't use FXAA otherwise it creates these types of jaggies at the typical locations you've spotted.

Otherwise on a 4K monitor I find FXAA ON + 4x SSAA is giving a good perf/visual balance, FXAA OFF + 8x SSAA is the best for eliminating the jaggies/shimmering on EFIS screens when moving the head.

I don't use FXAA because it doesn't help with the jaggies but instead makes the textures blurry ;( & I usually set AA to 4xSSAA.

This is why in 4K it`s less of a problem don

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

7 hours ago, SamratKathayat said:

I don't use FXAA because it doesn't help with the jaggies but instead makes the textures blurry

This is peculiar because FXAA is designed to add antialiasing to edges only and should have minimum to no side effect on the inner parts of polygons (where the textures are rendering). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

This is why in 4K it`s less of a problem don

Being a student I have to travel frequently. I'm also a hardcore flight simulation fan. So, yes I use a laptop. :biggrin:

10 hours ago, SamratKathayat said:

I don't use FXAA because it doesn't help with the jaggies but instead makes the textures blurry ;( & I usually set AA to 4xSSAA.

With my 4K 43” displays as one wide front view I do use FXAA as it eliminates jaggies on airport buildings in the distance .

I use it icw 2x SSAA.

7782x2160

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

23 hours ago, SamratKathayat said:

& also sometimes in the cockpit gauges that makes it difficult to read:-

At some point no amount of AA will help with changing readability, as the main restriction soon becomes the monitor's resolution. I also see your texture resolution is only set to 2048x2048, use 4096x4096 and see how that fares for you. It might help with texture readability.

The panel readability sort of depends from aircraft to aircraft, I checked the 777's MFD and EICAS panel.cfg, and they are at 1024x1024 and 1024x512 respectively. Other developers like QW have HiRes panel settings (2048x2048).

• Like 1

This youtube video helped me a lot to really get everything pin sharp, although I use a 2K monitor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-_o4ODGDj4

Also, in the NVIDIA control panel there is a sharpness setting.

Right click on your desktop, select  NVIDIA control panel > Manage 3D settings >  Image Sharpening > On, Sharpen: 0.50 (slider) Ignore film grain: 0.17 , click on GPU scaling.

Should help hopefully.  😃

2 hours ago, seamaster55 said:

This youtube video helped me a lot to really get everything pin sharp, although I use a 2K monitor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-_o4ODGDj4

Also, in the NVIDIA control panel there is a sharpness setting.

Right click on your desktop, select  NVIDIA control panel > Manage 3D settings >  Image Sharpening > On, Sharpen: 0.50 (slider) Ignore film grain: 0.17 , click on GPU scaling.

Should help hopefully.  😃

I tried, it did not show any improvements :( But I did not find the GPU scaling option, maybe it has to do something with it? :pedih: