Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Windows 11

Hi!

I changed TPM discrete to TPM firmware in my Asus Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming.

It worked!

After the change, I run the Microsoft tool to check if I could install Windows 11 on my PC and it said that I can!

Thank you for your help!

😊

14 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Wow, they made such a big deal that Windows 10 would be the last version.

This one goes up to 11.

330px-Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

• Like 1

I believe this version of windows requires you to be logged in to a microsoft account to be able to activate. This is a hard no for me.

• Upvote 1

vatsim s3

1133704.png

4 minutes ago, wims80 said:

I believe this version of windows requires you to be logged in to a microsoft account to be able to activate. This is a hard no for me.

+1

Probably much ado about nothing in terms of making MSFS run best, but no one knows yet...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

It still is showing it won't run on my PC. I think it has something to do with secure boot. For some reason my Rog Strix b450-f was set to "other os" instead of "windows UEFI" in the bios boot settings. I've selected Windows UEFI but I think I'd need to reinstall windows 10 in order for secure boot to be enabled. 

2 minutes ago, jer2929 said:

It still is showing it won't run on my PC. I think it has something to do with secure boot. For some reason my Rog Strix b450-f was set to "other os" instead of "windows UEFI" in the bios boot settings. I've selected Windows UEFI but I think I'd need to reinstall windows 10 in order for secure boot to be enabled. 

Yes, I think that's the problem.

You have to set it to UEFI.

57 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Wow, they made such a big deal that Windows 10 would be the last version.

Six years ago... Technology, demands, and needs change. It's still technically Windows 10 as they aren't charging existing users for it. It's a free upgrade to refresh the OS to what they see as needed six years later.. It's a refresh.. I'm fine with that.  

If this was Windows of the past you'd be paying over $100 for this upgrade no matter if you were on the current version of Windows or not. 

• Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Not really.  I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 8.  Just because you don't pay means nothing.

And if you look at it, certainly he experience will be very different from everything they've done over the last 25+ years.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

For example on a Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite, the BIOS setting is here:

Miscellaneous
LEDs in System Power On State
Allows you to enable or disable motherboard LED lighting when the system is on.
Off Disables the selected lighting mode when the system is on.
On Enables the selected lighting mode when the system is on. (Default)

LEDs in Sleep, Hibernation, and Soft Off States
Allows you to set the lighting mode of the motherboard LEDs in system S3/S4/S5 state.
This item is configurable when LEDs in System Power On State is set to On.
Off Disables the selected lighting mode when the system enters S3/S4/S5 state. (Default)
On Enables the selected lighting mode when the system enters S3/S4/S5 state.

Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT)
Enables or disables Intel® PTT Technology. (Default: Disabled)

3DMark01 Enhancement
Allows you to determine whether to enhance some legacy benchmark performance. (Default: Disabled)

CPU PCIe Link Speed
Allows you to set the operation mode of the CPU-controlled PCI Express slots to Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3, 
or Gen 4 (Note). Actual operation mode is subject to the hardware specification of each slot. Auto lets the 
BIOS automatically configure this setting. (Default: Auto)

PCH PCIe Link Speed
Allows you to set the operation mode of the Chipset-controlled PCI Express slots to Gen 1, Gen 2, or 
Gen 3. Actual operation mode is subject to the hardware specification of each slot. Auto lets the BIOS 
automatically configure this setting. (Default: Auto)

VT-d 
Enables or disables Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O. (Default: Enabled

Time spent reading the manual is worthwhile.🙂

Edited by Reader

8 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Not really.  I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 8.  Just because you don't pay means nothing.

And if you look at it, certainly he experience will be very different from everything they've done over the last 25+ years.

It's a refresh. Experience is just that. It's like a 2014 Ford Focus Vs a 2015 Ford Focus.  Are their visual changes? And maybe some different knobs here and there that are different. Sure, but the underlying car is the same exact thing.

You're not paying a dime for the changes.. Getting a better more secure OS, and god forbid you might have to learn a few things and change the way you do things along the way. 

This discussion is literally the dumbest thing I've ever seen for something that doesn't cost you anything

Edited by styckx
  • Like 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

43 minutes ago, jer2929 said:

Secureboot can be activated or not ! No need to reinstall  if your W10 boots in UEFI mode.
You will need Secureboot on for W11 only !

If it only boots in csm compatibility mode, then Yes you can format your disk in gpt mode and reinstall W10 if you want to upgrade to W11 !
Or convert your msdos disk to gpt and disable CSM (if you know how to install W10 UEFI entry on a fresh  fat32 partition)

Csm ->msdos disks (4 primary partitions + max 3 secondary partitions per primary partition)

Uefi -> gpt disks with a fat 32 partition containing UEFI in an EFI folder (Microsoft Folder in this EFI folder) (as many partitions as you want)

We can fake secureboot, (just google how to),
OR disable secureboot for using Linux or Hackintosh and simply reanable it to boot your futur WIndows 11 as W10 runs with SB on or off ! !

Edit : under Linux, I can start TPM under my terminal : sudo modprobe tpm. No need to start  the UEFI bios mode

More info about how Linux can help you with TPM HERE

Edited by ctdlg

27 minutes ago, styckx said:

This discussion is literally the dumbest thing I've ever seen for something that doesn't cost you anything

Then don't participate.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]