Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Windows 11

I tested it for a month or so and it was great...until one day it tried to update and the computer became completely unresponsive.  Had to reinstall Win 10.  Hopefully that gets fixed before official release. 

• Like 1

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Isaiah53six said:

I tested it for a month or so and it was great...until one day it tried to update and the computer became completely unresponsive.  Had to reinstall Win 10.  Hopefully that gets fixed before official release. 

Today is the official release 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Been on win11 for months now, and if anything, I seem to be having less issues than most people.

Win 10, no issues.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

9 hours ago, ctdlg said:

I did try some of them :

Task Bar

Drag and drop files to running apps -> Ok with Thunderbird for example

File Explorer, Outlook? I often drag files on the taskbar icons of these two applications in order to move files or attach them to e-mails. I know for sure that this does not work anymore.

Also see here: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-security-gaming-application-performance-benchmarks 

Finally, I see it like this: there is NO reason to update Windows at the moment. No new features, UI not more functional (on the contrary), no higher performance.

DX12 Ultimate and a stable environment is all I need. Also directstorage will be supported by Windows 10 (and we have to wait for game patches and GPU drivers anyway).

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

52 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

File Explorer, Outlook? I often drag files on the taskbar icons of these two applications in order to move files or attach them to e-mails. I know for sure that this does not work anymore.

right, dragging icons to the taskbar did not work in win 11 at least in the pre release version.  Not sure why they would remove such a good feature

• Like 1

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Isaiah53six said:

right, dragging icons to the taskbar did not work in win 11 at least in the pre release version.  Not sure why they would remove such a good feature

That feature alone would keep me from update even if I was using Windows for my daily use.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

14 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

Steam Proton and wine emulation. 

Wine emulation!  Heaven help us! ;-)

There is always progress being made on the translation layers like Valve’s Proton software and Wine but the unfortunate fact of the matter is that running DirectX games using one of those translation layers is still a total dumpster fire compared to native Windows environments.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/would-asobo-considers-getting-msfs-2020-compatible-with-linux/425370/20

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ixoye said:

That feature alone would keep me from update even if I was using Windows for my daily use.

You can still pin any item you want. And it's even still on the task bar. It's just all combined in a popup under the windows icon (start Menu)

g38zXr.png

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Has anybody else who has taken the leap to Win 11 had the following problem with MSFS on a widescreen monitor? The first clue that all is not well is as MFSF is loading, instead of a single full screen image I get this (sorry about the red squigle):

spacer.png

Then in flight (below), the round compass has turned oval and the boxes are condensed whereas on Win 10 I had a perfect full screen.

spacer.png

I have updated my Nvidia drivers and attempted to resurrect all other Win 10 settings to no avail. If anybody had the same problem and has solved it I would be grateful for some advice.

BTW I have also lost circa 10fps thanks to the current release of Win 11

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

I've had what the first screenshot above shows since SU5, on Win10. Samsung Odyssey G9 at 5120 x 1440 here.

Can't comment on the second screenshot as I don't use that. Planning on upgrading to Win11 later today.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

Pete, on my monitor, the ground compass in your picture shows as a perfect circle.  It must just be a resolution / aspect ratio problem you need to fiddle with.

Apparently, there are now dedicated W11 drivers out for Nvidia cards.  You need to ensure you have them as the older W10 drivers can throw up a few quirks in W11.

PS.  Most people report no frame rate increase or decrease either way with W11, so it might also be linked to the resolution problem.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

You can still pin any item you want. And it's even still on the task bar. It's just all combined in a popup under the windows icon (start Menu)

The issue is not about pinning, it's about dragging files into open apps in the taskbar in order to attach them to e-mails, upload them on websites, copy / move them to other folders opened in file explorer.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

1 minute ago, bobcat999 said:

Pete, on my monitor, the ground compass in your picture shows as a perfect circle.  It must just be a resolution problem you need to fiddle with.

Apparently, there are now dedicated W11 drivers out for Nvidia cards.  You need to ensure you have them as the older W10 drivers can throw up a few quirks in W11.

Picture a) is less wide and taller than it ought to be on both of my monitors, but then I went to Specsavers LOL 😊

Yes I installed the Win11 driver from Nvidia and set the correct monitor size, so I am stumped.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

18 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

The issue is not about pinning, it's about dragging files into open apps in the taskbar in order to attach them to e-mails, upload them on websites, copy / move them to other folders opened in file explorer.

Well, that's a more specific request then, (and something I've never done) but even that can reactivated in the registry, supposedly.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5