Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Windows 11

1 hour ago, Espana Pete said:

Has anybody else who has taken the leap to Win 11 had the following problem with MSFS on a widescreen monitor? The first clue that all is not well is as MFSF is loading, instead of a single full screen image I get this (sorry about the red squigle):

spacer.png

Then in flight (below), the round compass has turned oval and the boxes are condensed whereas on Win 10 I had a perfect full screen.

spacer.png

I have updated my Nvidia drivers and attempted to resurrect all other Win 10 settings to no avail. If anybody had the same problem and has solved it I would be grateful for some advice.

BTW I have also lost circa 10fps thanks to the current release of Win 11

I get the same issue in Win 10 with the sides being clipped.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 minutes ago, Noel said:

I get the same issue in Win 10 with the sides being clipped.

How odd, the sides were never clipped for me with Win 10 and all dials were perfectly circular.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

32 minutes ago, Espana Pete said:

How odd, the sides were never clipped for me with Win 10 and all dials were perfectly circular.

It's only during initialization...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

AMD has said that their windows 11 compliant cpu's run slower under windows 11.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-400

=============

In the link above AMD has a link to this list of cpus, which are win 11 supported, and which AMD says will run slower under win 11:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

• Upvote 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

AMD has said that their windows 11 compliant cpu's run slower under windows 11.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-400

=============

In the link above AMD has a link to this list of cpus, which are win 11 supported, and which AMD says will run slower under win 11:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

Good to see software updates a supposed to be out in the next few weeks.

Bit the bullet and upgraded to Win 11. Used the media creation tool to create a USB stick with all the necessary bits and bytes on it as I have a desktop and a laptop so didn't see the need to download it twice. Did and in place upgrade keeping all my files and settings. Was relatively painless, although a bit lengthy as I have a lot of sh... stuff installed on my desktop. Of course, I did a complete backup to my external USB disk array first. 😉

First thoughts are that I like the new look (and sounds). But I don't particularly care for the new start menu. I did like being able to group the start menu tiles. Now you just get a list of shortcuts. Spent a bit of time cleaning out some of the crud that came with the upgrade and pinned a few more apps to the task bar.

Then it was time to take MSFS for a spin. Couldn't see any difference in performance, but I'm pretty sure these tired old eyes could see a slight improvement in the visuals. It didn't seem as washed out as before.

Then I turned on HDR in Windows 11, and in MSFS. Wow. Win11 has made impressive improvements in its handling of HDR. I had it turned off in Win10 because it just looked like junk. Not anymore.

I'm a happy camper and I'm keeping Windows 11.

Next step is a complete nuke and pave, probably after SU6.

As always, YMMV.

...jim

• Like 2

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

48 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

Then I turned on HDR in Windows 11, and in MSFS. Wow. Win11 has made impressive improvements in its handling of HDR. I had it turned off in Win10 because it just looked like junk. Not anymore.

I'm curious to know what changed with HDR in Windows 11 vs 10? I heard that Windows 11 is will detect if you have HDR settings enabled in your game and will automatically switch for you prior to loading, so that you wouldn't have to do it manually. Is this true?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

12 hours ago, Noel said:

It's only during initialization...

The distortion in picture two is during flight.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

2 hours ago, Espana Pete said:

The distortion in picture two is during flight.

Pete, as I said earlier, there is no distortion showing in picture 2 at this end, it looks perfect. I loaded it into a graphics program and drew a perfect circle around the compass and they matched.  It must still be a screen distortion / resolution issue at your end that is making you see it. 

The best place to start is to get the exact current resolution your monitor is running from the monitor itself, then try to match it exactly in Windows and MSFS. 

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

7 hours ago, JimBrown said:

Then it was time to take MSFS for a spin. Couldn't see any difference in performance, but I'm pretty sure these tired old eyes could see a slight improvement in the visuals. It didn't seem as washed out as before.

honest-placebo-effect-1.jpg

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

> Placebo <

How true!  Plus fresh installs of any Windows version always boot and run faster..at first! 
But hey, Windows-11 is a new shiny toy, and its free, so I wanna be the first kid on the block to have it. ;--) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, captain420 said:

will detect if you have HDR settings enabled

Is this HDR just a Win/MSFS setting or does it also require dedicated monitor hardware?

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

1 hour ago, DAD said:

Is this HDR just a Win/MSFS setting or does it also require dedicated monitor hardware?

You need an HDR monitor/TV. 

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

3 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Pete, as I said earlier, there is no distortion showing in picture 2 at this end, it looks perfect. I loaded it into a graphics program and drew a perfect circle around the compass and they matched.  It must still be a screen distortion / resolution issue at your end that is making you see it. 

The best place to start is to get the exact current resolution your monitor is running from the monitor itself, then try to match it exactly in Windows and MSFS. 

Hi Bob, I just loaded the image into Photoshop and enlarged the compass to full screen to measure and you are right and I am wrong. Now I know why I never won a dime when I entered the Littlewoods Football Coupon Spot the Ball competition! There was me convinced that the postman was making off to the Bahamas with my winnings.

I should sue Specsavers!

• Like 2