Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

PMDG DC-6 thought

12 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have been flying the DC6 since it came out, and starting yesterday , I am having problems with engine one. If I do a manual start, this it when it occurs, Ready to taxi start no problems. The prop speed on engine 1 goes up, BMEP goes down to about half, and it won't limb past about 600 FPM. Three or four other people on their forum are having the same issue. So I am just going to start all my flights with ready to taxi, rather than trying to start the engines and running into this issue. Hoping PMDG can fix this. 

Not sure this is the issue, but I ran into the same problem. I found out that after you start engine # 3, you jiggle the throttle (up and down) to drop the RPM below 1000. This keeps all engine RPM's from over speeding.

I found if I forget, I can do this even after all engines are started...this simply drops all engine RPM's below 1000 and all engine RPM's are synchronized.

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

Just now, flyblueskies said:

Not sure this is the issue, but I ran into the same problem. I found out that after you start engine # 3, you jiggle the throttle (up and down) to drop the RPM below 1000. This keeps all engine RPM's from over speeding.

I found if I forget, I can do this even after all engines are started...this simply drops all engine RPM's below 1000 and all engine RPM's are synchronized.

Well I have been doing that the last day or so, and now it won't malfunction, so I am going to try on the next flight to not lowering the rpm below 1000  and see if that triggers the issue. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

16 hours ago, Tektolnes said:

First half of 2022 was the last update from PMDG. 

thanks i forgot when they said you would of thought the 747 would of been the first one they would do 

Alexander Shepherd

57 minutes ago, ashepherd316 said:

thanks i forgot when they said you would of thought the 747 would of been the first one they would do 

The current plan is 737 this year. Remote chance that the 777 also comes this year but more likely next year. Then the 747.

On 7/1/2021 at 1:51 AM, brucewtb said:

This all a bit pointless.  At present the sim of choice for VFR/GA flying where external in flight visuals are important is obviously MSFS 2020. 

Bruceb

I thought that since MSFS was released.  It has the potential to be the obvious choice, but right now X Plane can be as good or better for VFR flying - admittedly with addons (out of the box, MSFS gets it).  Outside of clouds and correct placement of individual building, MSFS is not the obvious choice in many scenarios.

For example,  X Plane over Los Angeles with Orbx True Earth (with a couple of addons for weather and shading).  X Plane is absolutely the better simulator for VFR. Its portrayal of atmospheric haze, blue light scattering and ground colours is way, way ahead of MSFS.  However, if I want to do a VFR flight in the UK,  I would choose MSFS.  The gains in weather portrayal and scenery outweigh atmospheric reality.

If simulating flight is the hobby,  use both simulators for different reasons.  No simulator is perfect (yet!).

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

29 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I thought that since MSFS was released.  It has the potential to be the obvious choice, but right now X Plane can be as good or better for VFR flying - admittedly with addons (out of the box, MSFS gets it).  Outside of clouds and correct placement of individual building, MSFS is not the obvious choice in many scenarios.

For example,  X Plane over Los Angeles with Orbx True Earth (with a couple of addons for weather and shading).  X Plane is absolutely the better simulator for VFR. Its portrayal of atmospheric haze, blue light scattering and ground colours is way, way ahead of MSFS.  However, if I want to do a VFR flight in the UK,  I would choose MSFS.  The gains in weather portrayal and scenery outweigh atmospheric reality.

If simulating flight is the hobby,  use both simulators for different reasons.  No simulator is perfect (yet!).

I admit X plane is good at haze. It all looks like LA Smog, even in the middle of a desert. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

6 hours ago, flyblueskies said:

Found out this afternoon, and it was suggested by others having this issue, that autofeather lights are turning on and causing power loss and props not syncing. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Found out this afternoon, and it was suggested by others having this issue, that autofeather lights are turning on and causing power loss and props not syncing. 

My problem is that the rpm on engine 1 is always pegged at max no matter what, with BMEP reduced to half of the other engines.  Disengaging the AFE and attempting manual control makes no difference.  Tried  adjusting with the prop lever and that brings down the rpm on everything but engine 1.  Also tried disengaging auto sync and using the switch to reduce rpm on just #1, but that didn't work either.  The only time engine 1 rpm is not pegged is when I pull the throttles to idle. Didn't notice the autofeather lights.  Is this the same as your issue or different? 

3 minutes ago, bcuomo said:

My problem is that the rpm on engine 1 is always pegged at max no matter what, with BMEP reduced to half of the other engines.  Disengaging the AFE and attempting manual control makes no difference.  Tried  adjusting with the prop lever and that brings down the rpm on everything but engine 1.  Also tried disengaging auto sync and using the switch to reduce rpm on just #1, but that didn't work either.  The only time engine 1 rpm is not pegged is when I pull the throttles to idle. Didn't notice the autofeather lights.  Is this the same as your issue or different? 

Did you put a ticket in on this at PMDG. I think you will find that your autofeather light for #1 is on. 

38 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Did you put a ticket in on this at PMDG. I think you will find that your autofeather light for #1 is on. 

I didn't yet but I will now.  Next time I'm in front of the computer I will check for the light.  Thanks. 

Anyone having an issue updating the DC-6B Pan Am livery? I have tried several times and I keep getting an error message. I have every PMDG aircraft and have never seen this before.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

15 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

Anyone having an issue updating the DC-6B Pan Am livery? I have tried several times and I keep getting an error message. I have every PMDG aircraft and have never seen this before.

Cheers, Pete

There is a thread on the PMDG forum about liveries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

There is a thread on the PMDG forum about liveries. 

Found it, thanks!

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

11 minutes ago, bendead said:

New update 2.0.28 😉

Thanks for the heads up.  The updater repaired 11 of my orphaned liveries