Sign in to follow this  
Swe_Richard

DC-6 FPS and throttles.

Oh, so last night I could reproduce the issue I mentioned in another thread (can't remember which one) a couple of days ago. If you haven't seen that comment I was mentioning a situation where I suffered FPS in the low teens while on approach to an airport in the middle of nowhere. But upon closing in on the runway (and coming in slightly too hot) i pulled the throttles back to idle and noticed that I got back all my frames the second I did. Kind of thought it might have been just a thing at that time and nothing more, however last night I could reproduce it.

I was on a rather long approach into another airport (in the middle of nowhere). Noticed stuttering getting worse and worse. So I did the following: 1. Put throttle to idle with the result that all my glorious frames returned at once. 2. Upon bleeding speed closer and closer to catastrophe I set them back at approx 28" 2400RPM and guess what? heavy stutters  instantly. Then I proceeded to indulge in a little game of "back and forth" with the throttles and sure enough; no throttles = great FPS and with throttles = low teens.

Someone mentioned something similar to this while using advanced engine fails (which I do). Have you guys experienced this? Would you like to try this to see if it happens to you as well? I was conducting a short ferry hop between ESSF and ESFQ.

• Like 2

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Sorry I’ve had engines on realistic all the time and not seen it.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Good observations Swe...

Could you test with lower graphics settings and see if there's a similar pattern ?

Can sound be disabled in MFS ? If so, could you run the test with sound disabled ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

4 hours ago, jcomm said:

Good observations Swe...

Could you test with lower graphics settings and see if there's a similar pattern ?

Can sound be disabled in MFS ? If so, could you run the test with sound disabled ?

Don't you have MSFS? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I was also going to suggest a sound problem. I often get frame rate drops and even pauses in MSFS when it loads up a new set of sound files. Poor coding, I think - as I don't get this with any other sim (or game).

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

16 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Don't you have MSFS? 

Yes, and no :-)

I own it, but I do not have any simulators installed. Gave up some months ago on all of it... But I'll return, sooner than laterzzzz :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

just a few things from FSX days pertaining to stuttering related to sound;

1. copy and paste from a Pete Dowson post. "On my current system anything over about 60 fps gives distortion on occasion, but I limit it to 30 fps. On my previous, lesser system, anything over 40 caused it. I think it must be something to do with how often FS tries to do things on the audio channnels and the limit may be the main motherboard PCI bus speed, which explains why the effect changes with different systems. In your case maybe the ALT TAB / ALT ENTER is freeing something up enough for a burst of speed (fps) for a time?"

2. Another copy and paste from a G MYDY "In your audio device settings in W7 under speaker settings and then advanced, try lowering the sampling rate to 16 bit / 44100hz (CD quality). This fixed all my crackling problems under FS9 and i haven't had any problems under FSX, should give better FPS too (i think?).

If memory serves me right my fix was to change the sound setting. The main problem I had was a big stutter when landing and when ATC fired up.

*edit, Here is one more "With the DPC latency tester tool, I noticed my latency was fine with the speakers, but terribly high (always red) with my USB headset. That caused stutters and sound issues with FSX (I hadn't realised the stutters were related. Oddly though, only FSX + my USB headset caused this, the headset is fine with all of my games.".

Edited by jimcarrel

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Got an evening to do some flights as the wife and kids are away for a couple of days. [insert Braveheart FREEDOM cry here]

Don't know if I mentioned it before, but there seems to be a known issue concerning "auto-lean" that's being investigated as per the PMDG forums. I think that this could be what I am experiencing. Going from auto-lean to full-rich (if that's the name. Several beers later I am kind of unsure about that). seems to up the fps significantly. 

• Like 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Just keep drinkin', frames will keep getting better and better, that's all it takes.

• Like 2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Can you please open a ticket with PMGD; I can confirm your findings. 🙂

On 6/27/2021 at 11:04 PM, Swe_Richard said:

Oh, so last night I could reproduce the issue I mentioned in another thread (can't remember which one) a couple of days ago. If you haven't seen that comment I was mentioning a situation where I suffered FPS in the low teens while on approach to an airport in the middle of nowhere. But upon closing in on the runway (and coming in slightly too hot) i pulled the throttles back to idle and noticed that I got back all my frames the second I did. Kind of thought it might have been just a thing at that time and nothing more, however last night I could reproduce it.

I was on a rather long approach into another airport (in the middle of nowhere). Noticed stuttering getting worse and worse. So I did the following: 1. Put throttle to idle with the result that all my glorious frames returned at once. 2. Upon bleeding speed closer and closer to catastrophe I set them back at approx 28" 2400RPM and guess what? heavy stutters  instantly. Then I proceeded to indulge in a little game of "back and forth" with the throttles and sure enough; no throttles = great FPS and with throttles = low teens.

Someone mentioned something similar to this while using advanced engine fails (which I do). Have you guys experienced this? Would you like to try this to see if it happens to you as well? I was conducting a short ferry hop between ESSF and ESFQ.

Edited by rlk281