Sign in to follow this  
tattiebogle

Amazon Polly Voices

Has anyone managed to get Voxatc to recognise Amazon polly voices? Pilot2atc manages to see them but with Voxatc they are not an option in the voice configurator.

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

are they 64bit SAPI5 TTS voicesets ??

for now, cheers

john martin

1 hour ago, vadriver said:

are they 64bit SAPI5 TTS voicesets ??

I believe they are. TTS and SAPI are mentioned on the Amazon polly website

Polly appears to be cloud based text to speech engine.  Not a stand alone.  Similar to Speecelloo.

https://speecheloofficial.com/

Unfortunately, it will  not work with VOXATC.

I don't understand how Pilot 2atc can use them unless they have some kind of agreement with amazon to convert all their text,  

-Rich

Amazon Polly voices show up in the Windows text to speech settings and can be chosen as default Windows tts. Strange how they can't be chosen for Voxatc. It's because they are shown in the Windows text to speech settings that they can be selected for Pilot2atc. I know this doesn't help to get them working in Voxatc but just saying.

36 minutes ago, Polymerman said:

Polly appears to be cloud based text to speech engine.  Not a stand alone.  Similar to Speecelloo.

https://speecheloofficial.com/

Unfortunately, it will  not work with VOXATC.

I don't understand how Pilot 2atc can use them unless they have some kind of agreement with amazon to convert all their text,  

-Rich

I'm pretty sure Pilot2atc don't have an agreement with Amazon. I will do more research. Thanks for replying👍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gordong said:

Amazon Polly voices show up in the Windows text to speech settings and can be chosen as default Windows tts. Strange how they can't be chosen for Voxatc. It's because they are shown in the Windows text to speech settings that they can be selected for Pilot2atc. I know this doesn't help to get them working in Voxatc but just saying.

Yes Gordong it is strange.👍

VOXATC (and P2ATC) check only specific sections of the Windows registry for 64 bit voices. This is the reason that certain Windows built-in "mobile" voices do not show up in the two apps unless you modify the registry. I don't have any Amazon Polly voices installed so I can't suggest how to make them work in VOXATC.

9 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

VOXATC (and P2ATC) check only specific sections of the Windows registry for 64 bit voices. This is the reason that certain Windows built-in "mobile" voices do not show up in the two apps unless you modify the registry. I don't have any Amazon Polly voices installed so I can't suggest how to make them work in VOXATC.

That's a shame as they are so cheap. Thanks for replying 👍

46 minutes ago, tattiebogle said:

That's a shame as they are so cheap. Thanks for replying 👍

I just installed Amazon Polly for Windows and VOXATC uses the voices. They show up in the VOXATC VoiceCFG utility and play correctly. The neural voices don't work consistently in VOXATC, so I would stick to the standard, newscaster and conversational Polly voices. The installation of Polly voices is  overly detailed and keep in mind that even though it is a minimal charge for ATC speech on a single PC, it still costs something (and you have to give AWS your credit card info). The voices show up in the Windows registry at:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens

Each voice has a token that looks like this:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\TTS_AMZN_CONVERSATIONALEN-US_MATTHEW

IMO, for ATC speech these voices don't sound any better than either Ivona, Cereproc or most of the Win 10 voices. Note, I have not tried to add the VOXATC static and filter modification to the Polly voices.

Untitled-1.jpg?dl=1

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I just installed Amazon Polly for Windows and VOXATC uses the voices. They show up in the VOXATC VoiceCFG utility and play correctly. The neural voices don't work consistently in VOXATC, so I would stick to the standard, newscaster and conversational Polly voices. The installation of Polly voices is  overly detailed and keep in mind that even though it is a minimal charge for ATC speech on a single PC, it still costs something (and you have to give AWS your credit card info). The voices show up in the Windows registry at:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens

Each voice has a token that looks like this:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\TTS_AMZN_CONVERSATIONALEN-US_MATTHEW

IMO, for ATC speech these voices don't sound any better than either Ivona, Cereproc or most of the Win 10 voices. Note, I have not tried to add the VOXATC static and filter modification to the Polly voices.

Untitled-1.jpg?dl=1

Installing Amazon polly was a complete pita. Happy it works though.

I find them much better than the standard Windows voices as long as you try the different ones out. As for credit card details I'm sure Amazon already has most people's on record as do most online companies. The paid for voices from Ivona, cereproc etc, are very good but not £40 each very good. Depending on use I would think the polly voices work out quite reasonable and in any case are free for the first year.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, tattiebogle said:

Installing Amazon polly was a complete pita. Happy it works though.

It really makes far more sense for the app developer to include Polly voices rather than users since the initial installation process is so convoluted. 

• Upvote 1