Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Waiting to hear the first reports of FSX and VISTA

Nvidia's drivers still don't fix the problems in vista for my 7900gt. Still getting green and blue flashing lines most of the time when i run games. At this point there is no way i am installing vista on my core2 machine with their drivers in this state. The drivers are out but they don't work on my old machine at all. I just wonder how the dells and gateways can ship vista game machines to people if there are no working drivers from nvidia? This is a pretty big problem. Apparently this problem will affect anyone with a 7900gt or a 7950gt running vista.

"I've seen Vista's GUI at work and I really liked the look and feel ..."Just curious... What was wrong with the XP look-and-feel ??(or for that matter; the Window98 look-and-feel ?? )To me, any change in an OperatingSystem look-and-feel is just another nucance I have to learn; after all, I'm not interrested at all in how an OS (or it's "desktop") looks like, just how its applications (like FS) run on it.Which explains why I, and probably many flightsimmers with a little common sense, have no interrest whatsoever in this Vista hype for the time being.But that's just my opinion :-)Rob

Guest dpc

I like the whole look and feel conversation. On XP I run the classic start menu, no themes, no desktop image, my computer advanced properties are set to performance which basically shuts off all the bells and whistles. I want my OS to RUN applications. It doesn't need to BE an application. I don't need my computing to be an experience. Just personal preference. To each his own. etc.

>I want my OS to RUN>applications. It doesn't need to BE an application. I don't>need my computing to be an experience. >>Just personal preference. To each his own. etc. LOL! I would be delighted to simply have a simple menu system similar to the one I used running DOS 3.11...1) Wordperfect2) FSX3) Photoshop CS24) Max 85) GMax 1.2etc.Simple, uncluttered and as "intuitive" as all get out! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest triangle

>"I've seen Vista's GUI at work and I really liked the look>and feel ...">>Just curious... What was wrong with the XP look-and-feel ??>(or for that matter; the Window98 look-and-feel ?? )>>To me, any change in an OperatingSystem look-and-feel is just>another nucance I have to learn; after all, I'm not>interrested at all in how an OS (or it's "desktop") looks>like, just how its applications (like FS) run on it.>>Which explains why I, and probably many flightsimmers with a>little common sense, have no interrest whatsoever in this>Vista hype for the time being.>But that's just my opinion :-)>>>RobGood question :-) I've always run classic on XP because i wanted to minimise resource drain and because i just plain didn't like the XP-style. However, having fiddled with Vista on a friend's machine I think I'd be prepared to take a resource hit simply because I really liked its look and feel. It just felt more polished to me (compared to XP, which I always found ugly and a severe CPU and RAM drain). Plus, reports I have read suggest that the resource hit from a fully functional Vista GUI is nowhere near as big as that when running the fully-blown XP GUI.It's definitely a personal preference but I admit there's every posssibility i'll get sick of it, switch back to classic and wonder why the #### I upgraded in the first place :-) However, my gaming box is also my work machine so a little prettiness will go a long way during those long, boring days writing dull reports for demanding clients.Anyway, won't be going Vista till I know its rock-solid, all my peripheral drivers are optimised and my favourite sims/games won't be impacted.

>"I've seen Vista's GUI at work and I really liked the look>and feel ...">>Just curious... What was wrong with the XP look-and-feel ??>(or for that matter; the Window98 look-and-feel ?? )>>To me, any change in an OperatingSystem look-and-feel is just>another nucance I have to learn; after all, I'm not>interrested at all in how an OS (or it's "desktop") looks>like, just how its applications (like FS) run on it.>>Which explains why I, and probably many flightsimmers with a>little common sense, have no interrest whatsoever in this>Vista hype for the time being.>But that's just my opinion :-)>>>RobI too run the classic interface since win95. The only visible difference between my old windows machines and my XP pro machine is XP doesn't need to be rebooted 10 times a day.Why anyone would want to rush out and put an unproven operating system with an unfamiliar user interface on the system they depend on heavily for email and daily business is totally beyond me. I think I will wait a while... maybe a really good while.Ron

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

If you think XP is a "severe CPU and RAM drain" you'll have a big shock coming when you first load Vista.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Hi All:I also use the "Windows Classic" user interface "theme" on all my Win XP systems.I have not used Vista yet, and I have not been able to find any info on this elsewhere so far: if one turns off the "3D Aeroglass" UI in Vista, is the "Windows Classic" UI or its equivalent still available as a choice under Vista?And if it is available, when selected, how much of a perceptible change in system performance improvement does it bring with or without FSX running?Thanks very much for any first hand experience anyone would share on this. :-) GaryGB

>And if it is available, when selected, how much of a>perceptible change in system performance improvement does it>bring with or without FSX running?From experience, I've seen (zero) change in performance with Aero turned on vs. the Classic (non-Aero) themes. That is both in the OS GUI itself, and in any games or applications.This experience is backed up with various internet tests which demonstrate generally the same thing. There may be some FPS-zealots who find 1 or 2 frames +/- difference, but they are functionally identical. -Greg

Thanks Greg!Ouch... that doesn't bode too well for those without lots of machine power to ofset the hit from the bloated infrastructure foisted upon us by the Vista OS itself! :-eek GaryGB

Vista is a very nice OS and I look forward to running it ASAP. The problem with vista in the near term at least is the lack of driver support and the quality of the drivers that are available, especially video and sound card manufacturers. I could not recommend this OS to any gamer now until more mature drivers come out. I don't know about ATI's vista drivers, but nvidia's are woefully lacking atm. :(________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 @ 893Mhz | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 575/900 | Seagate 2x 320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

> that doesn't bode too well for those without lots of machine power> to ofset the hit from the bloated infrastructure foisted upon us> by the Vista OS itself!I'm sure that if I had a *weak* computer system, I would see a slowdown with Aero, and would then want to go with a more traditional rendering scheme. But yes, I think my personal results speak to the efficiency that Aero performs with with coupled with halfway decent hardware. Note that I didn't check the CPU/GPU usage in my tests - it was strictly a "touchie-feelie" type of evaluation, and I was more concerned with 3rd party apps and games working in and around the Aero interface, rather than the desktops themselves.

Guest iwantmydc3

>Nvidia's drivers still don't fix the problems in vista for my>7900gt. Still getting green and blue flashing lines most of>the time when i run games. At this point there is no way i am>installing vista on my core2 machine with their drivers in>this state. The drivers are out but they don't work on my old>machine at all. I just wonder how the dells and gateways can>ship vista game machines to people if there are no working>drivers from nvidia? This is a pretty big problem. Apparently>this problem will affect anyone with a 7900gt or a 7950gt>running vista.Well oops I have a 7900GTX so I guess I'll pass on the upgrade...it's too expesnive, any way

Guest iwantmydc3

>I got and installed Vista Ultimate on my laptop (HP dv5020)>yesterday night. The install and configuration worked like a>charm and I am totally impressed by the performance (and the>looks). Vista "feels" more fluid and much more responsive than>my previous XP installations. The GUI is much more intuitive>and it "just works".>>My biggest complaint about Vista right now is the lack of 3rd>party drivers. For example, my laptop's integrated audio has>no driver available. I just chatted with HP and the ETA is>"Mid-March". What?>>As for my desktop: I will install Vista tomorrow (waiting for>a spare HDD) and start testing FSX. All my essential hardware>is supposed to be supported, with the exception of my Logitech>devices and TrackIR.>>PatYeah? youre firewall and antivirus still working? Test any of your other programs?

I'm still hoping to read some real reviews of FSX and VISTA working together as compared to FSX and XP.I'm therefore "bumping" this thread....and if need be, I'll wait a week or so and start a new thread on this very important topic.I have not upgraded my computer to VISTA yet, even though it's capable of running it well (according to specs and Dell); I'm hoping that FSX is running well on a VISTA machine out there.It just may be too early for this topic. I may have to wait a while to get some good reports.