Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Anyone tried MSFS 2020 with Windows 11 ?

Interesting that you name Windows 8 as a "fiasco" and yet commend its direct descendant, Windows 10. My own opinion is that it does indeed look more like a tablet but that this is a good thing and in fact makes many routine tasks even more straightforward. I do have the advantage of making my critique as a user and not a detractor of something that I have never tried.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2021 at 7:38 PM, David Mills said:

However, I'm a bit skeptical about a lot of these numbers I've been reading about. I mean, my computer can run MSFS in 4K at 30FPS on High settings. Is my machine really too inferior to run Windows 11?

It's a bit more than that. As far as I know, it's just TPM 2.0 (for security, but you probably knew that). Older processors either don't support 2.0 natively or can't even add it on.

There is videos on YT to get around this 2.0 issue - not a big deal

• Like 1

Rich Sennett

On 7/3/2021 at 4:10 PM, Reader said:

Interesting that you name Windows 8 as a "fiasco" and yet commend its direct descendant, Windows 10.

And you see that Windows 10 was made a lot more like previous (Win7) Windows versions because of the hate for Windows 8 don't you? Even 8 itself had an update to add back features of Win7 that were removed because of how many people totally hated the "Tablet" OS.

James

3 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

Windows 10 was made a lot more like previous (Win7) Windows versions. people totally hated the "Tablet" OS.

Most of the outcry was for the return of the Windows 7, Vista and XP Start menu. Perhaps you did not use Windows 8, which used the same tiles as Windows 10. Windows 11 uses icons, much like a mobile phone. I expect that you will not like that either. There is value in trying new things out, less so in turning one's back on something different and new.

• Like 1

It was right here in Avsim where I learned of a $5 utility that transformed Windows 8 or Windows 10 right back to a Start menu / desktop GUI, in other words Windows 7. And got rid of tiles, gestures, and mouse swiping.

It is called Start8, and Start10 which makes for 99% no difference at all between Win 7, 8, or 10, all look and act the same.

https://www.stardock.com/

Your desktop will not be blank like the picture, program icons will be there. No tiles anywhere.

zBhN29O.png

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Here is a quote from this site: http://www.classicshell.net/

Some of us can’t adjust to changes around us, even if it’s as minor as replacing morning coffee with a cup of green tea.

I know, its healthy, but then we just don’t care about it, as we hate changes.

Thankfully we are all different and there were many (millions), including me, who embraced the changes but did not waste time posting on forums to say so. Instead, we tuned the new layout to suit our preferences, as we had done before with the "Classic" start menu and moved forward.

Edited by Reader

On 6/29/2021 at 1:51 AM, Ixoye said:

Are you guys looking for trouble 🤔

An addon in the community folder can create issues, windows 11 may create some, but at least we can rely on MSFS updates....

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I like the changes in Win11,  they seem like a logical progression to me.  It's easier to do everything,  and it's fast and stable on my system.   

I did a  clean install of Win 11 with all the updates included,  instead of an upgrade.   It was easy.   Everything feature works,  including the security features.

I used this method, https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/clean-install-windows-11

It just gets more solid with every update.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

I like the changes in Win11,  they seem like a logical progression to me.  It's easier to do everything,  and it's fast and stable on my system.   

Not everything actually... for example are the LAN and volume control still on the same systray button?? Every time I had to change the sound device I needed one more click than Win 10.

Also, drag and drop on apps on the taskbar didn't work and that was a PITA when I had to attach files to Outlook e-mails or simply move files.

I rolled back after a few days and I won't migrate to 11 until these issues are resolved.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Working great here as well. No issues at all in all my games and workflows. 

• Like 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I have no problems with "11", but what I will mention is my other machine is an i7 7700k, it is fast boot capable and I just turned on the TPM in Bios which is stated as 2.0. I as a few others have no definite reason why a 7700 will not run windows 11.

• Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Microsoft must hate me, because I now have a big red sign under preferences telling me how crappy my rig is and that I shouldn't even think about running Windows 11.

My answer to Microsoft:

My old clunker works just fine, thank you very much.😁

On 8/20/2021 at 10:45 AM, MrFuzzy said:

Not everything actually... for example are the LAN and volume control still on the same systray button?? Every time I had to change the sound device I needed one more click than Win 10.

Also, drag and drop on apps on the taskbar didn't work and that was a PITA when I had to attach files to Outlook e-mails or simply move files.

I rolled back after a few days and I won't migrate to 11 until these issues are resolved.

That taskbar change is a deal killer for me. Thanks but no thanks. Another MS idea that falls flat. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310