Sign in to follow this  
saunder

Understanding my Reverb 2 issues

I have just jumped from xplane to P3D v5 and have read all the VR post regarding the issue with stuttering. No matter what I have tried I can not get rid of the head movement stuttering my frame rates can be up at 60 and that's using True Earth scenery. When flying if I don't move my head the flight is smooth the moment I move my head the head movement is stuttering. I am using an i9 cpu and 3090 graphics card I am sure its not a performance issue. Any help would be appreciated. 

Maybe try process lasso and see if anything changes.....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thank you for your response. It didn't make any difference. The frames are good it seems to be the head tracking that's creating the problem.. 

On 6/29/2021 at 10:07 PM, saunder said:

the moment I move my head the head movement is stuttering

maybe worth trying another USB 3 port & checking room lighting - just an idea...

I think if it was the same with other flightsims I would be more inclined to look in that direction, but it works great in DCS and Xplane no issues at all. I have read so many posts of others having similar issues with v5 but not read of any resolves.

9 hours ago, saunder said:

I would be more inclined to look in that direction, but it works great in DCS and Xplane no issues at all

that is understood - but strange things can happen between different sims in VR - different performance thresholds,

many people - including myself - have benefitted with a powered USB 3 hub - a good quality one is a great hardware investment...

Bit of a longshot but I have had exactly the same issue between X-plane 11 and MSFS2020 on my Reverb Gen1 where X-plane 11 runs smooth as silk and MSFS - even on very, very low graphics settings - runs as a stuttery mess, especially relating to head movement.

I have linked my solving of that issue with this thread about the P3Dv5, which no doubt you have also read:

My solution to MSFS was working out how to switch between the TWO versions of OpenXR that are loaded automatically with the HP Reverb/WMR and picking the correct one. 

For X-plane 11 I run the "SteamVR" OpenXR runtime and for MSFS I have to run "Windows Mixed Reality" OpenXR runtime.  And they are both capable of running on the Reverb - which is a bit confusing.  And here, Google/Youtube are not your friends because they encourage you to download the Developer OpenXR tool.  Doing that - and (ask me how I know) - with a Reverb running on WMR, will make your computer become VERY confused.

OzWhitey's thread above implies that P3D needs to use SteamVR, but it's worth trying both.

Ignore this below if you are already fully aware of this below. And a reminder - this only applies to a Reverb running on WMR

1 - How do I know which version of OpenXR is running?

Boot up steam VR and click on the menu bar top left and choose 'Settings' from the dropdown list:

jkKGuTyl.jpg

That will open this screenbelow.  Now choose 'Developer':

b9hlWdQl.jpg

That will open this screen below:

McQkmiOl.jpg

It shows the "Current OpenXR Runtime and will show either "Windows Mixed Reality", as above, or "Steam VR"

Unhelpfully, the method of changing it is different depending which is running!  (You wouldn't think that the Reverb was a cooperative development between Steam, Microsoft and HP, would you 😉 )

Option 1  If Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR is running and you want SteamVR OpenXR instead             ;  

Click the button above "Set SteamVR as OpenXR Runtime"

Next time you boot up WMR, SteamVR Open XR will be running.  This is the best version to use for X-plane11 and, according to OzWhitey's thread, P3Dv5

Option 2  If SteamVR OpenXR is running and you want to run Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR

In this event, the Developer screen in the Steam VR settings will look like this:

LsV7erel.jpg

You will notice that there is not an equivalent button to switch the OpenXR Runtime from SteamVR to Windows Mixed Reality as there was the other way round.  A rude word springs to mind, but I will be polite 🙂

BUT, your WMR opening screen WILL have this message at the top (it's small in the photo so I'll type it out below):

SFFKnSfl.jpg

It says "Windows Mixed Reality is not set up to run OpenXR apps.  Some apps may not run correctly.  Learn More"  and has a button next to it, "Fix It"

Press 'Fix It', reboot WMR and you will now be running Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR runtime

So in summary (again, a reminder, this is only if you are running a Reverb through WMR):

- Don't download the Developer Open XR tool.  You already have it imbedded deep in the Reverb/WMR software even though you won't see it as an app.  Downloading the app from the Store will try to make two versions run at the same time and will end in tears

- For X-plane, and possibly P3D, the OpenXR runtime needs to be the SteamVR one

- For MSFS, the OpenXR runtime needs to be Windows Mixed Reality

- Steam VR Settings/Developer menu will show you which OpenXR version you are currently running

- If you are on Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR and want the SteamVR version, change it with the button on the same screen

- If you are on SteamVR OpenXR and want the Windows Mixed Reality version, open WMR, click 'Fix It' at the top of the opening screen  

As the hackneyed phrase goes, hope this helps! 

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

In your OpenXR, try turning down the Custom Render Scaling, and turn off Motion Reprojection, see if  that helps.

On 7/4/2021 at 10:40 PM, AJZip said:

- Don't download the Developer Open XR tool.  You already have it imbedded deep in the Reverb/WMR software even though you won't see it as an app.  Downloading the app from the Store will try to make two versions run at the same time and will end in tears

So if you don't download the Developer Open XR tool, how are you supposed to change the custom render resolution and/or enable/disable motion reprojection if there is no app to run with it being embedded deep in Reverb/WMR software?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

7 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

So if you don't download the Developer Open XR tool, how are you supposed to change the custom render resolution and/or enable/disable motion reprojection if there is no app to run with it being embedded deep in Reverb/WMR software?

Simple answer is I don't know.  And I can't find any info or anyone else who has had the same issue. 

It is in the Microsoft support info that the WMR install loads OpenXR automatically and, 'you don't have to do anything else', but no reference to the developer menus.  

It's a bit bizarre because the Develop Tool doesn't show up in my apps list in the Windows 10 settings, but if I go to the MS Store, it says I already own it. 

If I go ahead and download the app regardless, it loads the app but won't run the demo or open the developer settings tabs - it just hangs.  And if I try to load MSFS, that also hangs on start-up.  But if I then remove the app through windows settings, I can open and run MSFS either the WMR OpenXR version (smooth) or the Steam OpenXR version (lumpy) fine.

But yes, I've not been able to adjust those settings through the app because I can't actually find the app to adjust them!

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

Interesting. I have the Developer OpenXR tool installed and use it to change render resolution and motion reprojection settings sometimes, although admittedly I usually have them set to default so don't really need the tool anyway.  OTOH, if I try running SteamVR, which I used to use successfully when I had my PSVR hooked up, VR becomes a stuttery mess regardless of what settings I try, so I use WMR only. Just gotta do what works for yourself!

Edited by Reset XPDR
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

I have this problem too, from the beginning with the G2, I would not call it stuttering, but ... lagging of the image? ghosting? it is not a stuttering movement but fluid blurriness.. something like that. Tuning settings down, lowering renderscale to ridiculous 50% (in -sim and /or in OpenXR dev tools, tried all combinations) or so- nothing helps. To compare: I dont see this problem with quickly rotating/angular movements in Iracing (race simulator), but there I have a steady 90 fps. In FS2020 I only get about 50-60 max in VR (with my fast hardware!).

Edited by Rene_Feijen

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

3 hours ago, Rene_Feijen said:

it is not a stuttering movement but fluid blurriness..

That sounds like motion reprojection is switched on.  You should be able to switch it off in the openxr /steam vr settings.

19 hours ago, AJZip said:

That sounds like motion reprojection is switched on.  You should be able to switch it off in the openxr /steam vr settings.

No I have it already off. If I have it on the scenery is also stuttering (not ghosting). I examined the cockpit and scenery yet again while turning my head: the cockpit is indeed blurry, and the scenery , the further away from the plane the less this effect: ghosting, for example I see a tree or a building or plane, and its outline doubled and even vaguely tripled.

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)