Sign in to follow this  
BaronKen

DirectX 10 what was the hype about?

Guest shortflyer

Hi all,Hmm DX 10 patch for FSX is not under the carpet i've looked. I am becoming increasingly frustrated that microsoft haven't released or at least informed people when DirectX 10 patch for FSX will be delivered to consumers. I for one have the gear to run DX 10 and am disapointed by the statement, reading something in the line of (DirectX 10 will be available upon Vista launch) that was issued by a representative of Microsoft. Although DX 10 appears in DXDIAG box the features and functions are not being utilized. I have scoured the net searching for any lead on the DX 10 patch for FSX, but to no avail. Now, i'm not sure whether this post will reach the intended people but i needed to vent it out. Perhaps this thread can be used for anyone wishing to input comments and/or information/feedback regarding DX 10. Shortflyer.

There is no DX10 patch for WInXP, nor will there ever be. DX10 is only available with Vista. Why did you buy a DX10-compliant video card if you're not using Vista?Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

There are 3 requirements in order to take full advantage of DX10:- DX10 Hardware, which is available now (Geforce 8800 GTx, soon ATI)- DX10 API, which is included in Vista- DX10 optimized games, which are NOT available nowFor more information out of the 'horses mouth', look here:http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/Hope this helps,Pat

Guest shortflyer

W2DR...very speculatory there with you comments. I could have included that I a) have an 8800gtx card, :( have Vista to support the card and of course c) FSX to go in conjunction with the aforementioned products.

Guest dpc

He didn't mention XP. He was asking about an FSX patch.

Guest shortflyer

I should mention that with my current setup i am recieving fps rates between 20-50 with most settings on highest values. very little interference from low fps rates. There have been some important windows updates for vista but not sure if that's contributed to my good frames.Current setup:Core 2 Duo E6600Asus P5B Deluxe2 gigabytes DDR2 800MSI GeForce 8800 GTX video card320gb SATA II 16mb cache hard drive250gb SATA II 8mb cache hard drive (storage)Vista RTM Build 6000Latest Nvidia 100.54 drivers

>Hi all,>>Hmm DX 10 patch for FSX is not under the carpet i've looked. I>am becoming increasingly frustrated that microsoft haven't>released or at least informed people when DirectX 10 patch for>FSX will be delivered to consumers. I for one have the gear to>run DX 10 and am disapointed by the statement, reading>something in the line of (DirectX 10 will be available upon>Vista launch) that was issued by a representative of>Microsoft. Although DX 10 appears in DXDIAG box the features>and functions are not being utilized. I have scoured the net>searching for any lead on the DX 10 patch for FSX, but to no>avail. Now, i'm not sure whether this post will reach the>intended people but i needed to vent it out. Perhaps this>thread can be used for anyone wishing to input comments and/or>information/feedback regarding DX 10. >>Shortflyer.MS did inform us about the DX10 patch. They said it would be after the FSX patch which itself will come out after January.

Guest WWFII

What good would it do if he had Vista? FSX is not made for DX-10.

Guest shortflyer

Microsoft had directx 10 in mind when creating FSX. hmm perhaps there was a thread somewhere that i missed where Microsoft informed the community of its plans on a dx10 patch. although isn't it a shame that fsx was released before a solid timeframe could be set. Why even release a product with limited functionality to the extent of getting framerates that cripple the simulator, especially when attempting visual landings and so forth. The excuse from MS ...there was 3 years of life in fs2004 so why don't we make the same excuse again. tell me why???? i'm not putting down the product, it is overall better than fs9. however i think there lies another cause to the early release of FSX. I remain sceptical about MS's reasoning for early release. I know i can't change the events but it leaves me totally bamboozled as to the early release of a product that has limitations to the extent where most users can not effectively run the program without having high end machines. Is this a call for the community to wake up the the technology (we are a civilisation) and move with the times or do we stay with the view that we must be fair on the lower users. Personally I think that most of the more serious simmers have machines that couldn't keep up with a slow motion video as opposed to the simmers that want good quality. But all in all i believe that quality matters especially with flying that requires smooth movements. Anyway hope this provides for some humourous or interesting reading.

Shortflyer,I understand you have not been keeping up as much with things regarding DX10 and FSX. But I can tell you, that reading between the lines, the DX10 update for FSX won't be out before Q3 of 2007 at the earliest. That means next fall probably at the earliest.I know that is a disappointment but there is nothing we can do about it anyway. I am not too worried about it, it will be awesome eventually.Hope that helps you.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

At this point i would just settle for them fixing this round earth bug so we can get some decent add-on scenery with airports, etc. I grow very weary of the default textures.

You're right. I misread the post. The DX10 patch for FSX will probably be out late this year.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Where has the OP been over the last four months? This has been sliced, diced, cussed and discussed ad naseaum already... :-violin

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest 777_lr_2k7

Vista for me right now is useless. Yes it looks much 'nicer' then XP but who cares? The Mac OS X looks pretty so maybe I should buy myself a Mac. With less then prefect drivers from ATI and the amount of resources Vista takes it's not really worth while to jump to Vista for gaming. Obviously you're going have Microsoft fan boys tell you different but honestly if you're getting Vista do a dual boot because I think XP is going be around for a while until driver issues and more DX10 games/hardware come out later this year and next year.