Sign in to follow this  
BaronKen

DirectX 10 what was the hype about?

Hello:Just a question, NOT a challange?Do you get 20fps at locations like JFK, Heathrow, etc. along with severe weather and the most complex plane available now (as if there was one I guess)?I was considering an upgrade similar to yours but have been trying to wait patiently to see what the fallout is in the coming months.Thanks:RTH

Thank you for your patient explanation. Many of us have known all this for quite awhile already, but there's unfortunately no shortage of folks who'll write the most outrageous drivel as though it were gospel... :-roll

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hey Phil,You're a braver man than I to post in this thread :-> I would ask why no one seems to be upset with Intel that they would come out with a new chip and pretty much halve the processor speed (the highest Pentium D was 3.6 or 3.8 Ghz and when Conroe first came out its highest speed was 1.86 Ghz - and the D in Pentium D stands for Dual Core so its not because they put 2 cores in the one chip as I have 3 of the Pentium D's here and they all have 2 cores :-> ). Even better question, why are folks buying the Core 2 Duos if Pentium D's are still available at higher clock speeds (well the 900 series ones anyway).Another question, what good do the quad core processors now coming out do under WinXP (which unless something has changed recently only supports 2 cores anyway, except for server versions)?

>I dont know why I keep hearing about a reference to " those people with high end machines getting great frame rates from fsx". I have a really really high end machine with all the bells and whistles. I dont think I could have added any more componenets. I can tell you all that fsx runs like trash compared with fs9.1 . If I max out the sliders and tweak tweak tweak, it just crawls. Didn't we just spend tons of time getting fs9.1 to the point that it worked smoothly. I will continue to run fs9.1 with 3rd party addons , until we see some improvements and patches from fsx. I dont know why anyone would run fsx when it is so slow. It may be a step forward in technology but it feels like a step backwards. I cant even imagine how slow it would be once you add 3rd party aircraft and scenery.Will dx10 help with fsx/fs9.1 on an xp machine?PeterShortflyer,>>I understand you have not been keeping up as much with things>regarding DX10 and FSX. But I can tell you, that reading>between the lines, the DX10 update for FSX won't be out before>Q3 of 2007 at the earliest. That means next fall probably at>the earliest.>>I know that is a disappointment but there is nothing we can do>about it anyway. I am not too worried about it, it will be>awesome eventually.>>Hope that helps you.>>>>Rhett>>AMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS>A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD>250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Guest Jimbofly

I wouldn't worry too much about a few uninformed and inflaming posts from some of avsim's resident trolls.James

>I would ask why no one seems to be upset with Intel that they>would come out with a new chip and pretty much halve the>processor speed (the highest Pentium D was 3.6 or 3.8 Ghz and>when Conroe first came out its highest speed was 1.86 Ghz ->and the D in Pentium D stands for Dual Core so its not because>they put 2 cores in the one chip as I have 3 of the Pentium>D's here and they all have 2 cores :-> ). Even better>question, why are folks buying the Core 2 Duos if Pentium D's>are still available at higher clock speeds (well the 900>series ones anyway).>That's the key thing many people don't understand. They say "clock speeds are not going to increase much in the next 2 years", well, that may be so, but as Shakespeare said, CLOCK SPEED DOES NOT A FAST CPU MAKE. Wait a minute. They didn't have computers in Shakespeare's time.There are at present, and are going to be in the future, many cpu's that have relatively low clock speeds, but yet perform much faster than the highest clocked 3.8-4.0 ghz cpu's we saw in the Pentium line.For all of us, that translates into better cpu's for flight simulator, train sim, and whatever. So this whole notion that the hardware is not going to be there for us, is not correct. It's why I don't worry about what I see with "all sliders right".RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks for stopping by Phil. Looking forward to SP1, hope you'll have some details available in the next couple of weeks or so about what we might expect from it.

Ken