Sign in to follow this  
solito

Dissapointed with GPU upgrade

15 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

My 3060 TI is doing a stellar job in my rig.  The 5900X 12 core never gets above 20%.

Cheers

bs

Dude, the 20% metric you're reporting is worthless. The average load of your CPU doesn't matter, what matters is whether some cores are at 100% and bottleneck the game. You can see the per-core load in the task manager.

CHEERS,

JOHNNY WYATT

• Like 2

What does "optimizing the sim" mean exactly - at the inception of MSFS 2020, and just before it's commercial release, MS issued minimum PC requirements needed to run the simulator::  What will this mean for the specs of current rigs just about keeping up with perhaps decent FPS, and maybe a few stutters???

Well, just to through a wrench in, I've been getting pretty smooth 30fps on average on 4K ultra, just out of curiosity today I switched to 1080p Ultra, guess what ? More frequent stutters. Yet both the CPU and GPU are well under 100% whereas in 4K the GPU is on constant 100%. RAM usage is about the same at around 21GB. Go figure... 🙂 

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

19 hours ago, solito said:

My CPU is an i7 990X overclocked to 4,5 Ghz (old but reliable),- So I am very surprised and angry for spending about $ 900 for nothing.-

Any opinions  ?

Thanks

CPU is very old. Maybe reliable, but very slow. It cause low performance MSFS.

19 hours ago, solito said:

I upgraded from my GForce 1060  6 GB to a RTX 3060 12 GB videocard, which is supposed to almost double its performance. My results are really dissapointing, as I didnt experience any improvement, but instead also a slightly worse FPM rate of about 5%.-

I tried with the last Nvidia driver using the same settings as before.-

The only diference is that the Developer performance window,  shows no more the "limited by GPU" leyend which was common before, red sectors at the GPU line are completely gone, and now only shows "limited by main thread" constantly.-

The system memory usage is not more than 70% (I have 24 GB RAM) and the video memory usage doesnt exceed 6 Gb. -

I use medium to high graphic settings at MSFS.

My CPU is an i7 990X overclocked to 4,5 Ghz (old but reliable),- So I am very surprised and angry for spending about $ 900 for nothing.-

Any opinions  ?

Thanks

Have agree with the others here. Sorry to say it but that 11 year old CPU makes for a really unbalanced build - and all the other components coming with it like old DDR3 memory (32 GB that is good for MSFS not even supported in that era?), PCIe 2.0 (?) etc. 

My Ryzen 5900x with 32 GB of 3600Mhz memory and an RTX 3080 works really well with MSFS. When I upgraded from a 3070 it was a noticeable improvement, especially in DCS and IL2 that are now not as CPU main thread limited these days. In IL2 I am almost locked at 120 FPS with maxed out settings in VR. My Hz setting for my Index VR headset being the limit...

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

What are GPU intensive settings?

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-3-16-2021/132407

Scroll down to where it says "Graphics", that should help some.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

6 hours ago, CarlosF said:

Thanks.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 6/30/2021 at 9:20 AM, Nyxx said:

Start by reading Glenn's replies to you.

Lock FPS to 30 for a start. Dont run unlimited

The top LOD is the biggest hit on CPU set that no more than 100 

The other LOD is not so bigger hit but set that also to 100.

glass cockpit refresh rate LOW

AI Traffic OFF

Online Traffic OFF

Muti player stuff OFF

Also Locking your FPS will at some point drop work from you CPU, as it tips over from working to give the FPS you set to, it becoming an easy amount for the CPU to calulate. Dont run unlimited. Set to 10 FPS and see what I mean. Then work up to see where your tiping point is with your settings.

Now start adding in Render Scale over 100 ( the big GPU killer..or not) till you see in DEV MODE "bound my main thread" and "bound my GPU" flashing almost as one. Then you have pushed the right amount of work from your CPU to your GPU.

But you could also up your setting to ultra and see if your FPS drop much then do as above.

Its hard to find the perfect balance but only you can do that.

This is what your aiming for. No core peged to 100% all running balanced.

Great Advice

I raised Render Scale to 200, and now in Dev Mode "bound my main thread" and "bound my GPU" alternates, my image at my 1080p display, is now equivalent to 3840 X 2160 and so I got a much more crisp and quality image without any cost in FPS, and more on, I could disable Anisotropic filter and texture super sampling and got a couple of FPS more.- So at least I could obtain some improvement with my new Video Card

Thanks

• Like 3