Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

30th June 2021 Developer Q&A: Complete/Quick Summary

I have the same CPU in the test, but half the ram. Also the non-super RTX2060

8 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

People with high end CPUs and older GPUs - maybe not so much.

15-20 % ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 4090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 8K Samsung Q900A 65" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

23 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

People with good GPUs and lower end CPUs should see a massive improvement

Should have kept the 6700k when I upgraded to the 3090…

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

7 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

Should have kept the 6700k when I upgraded to the 3090…

yeah ... no .. not really

part of the improvement is they have been moving stuff out of "main thread" and spreading the load between the other cores so 4 core/ 8 thread is probably still going to struggle.

I'm glad that the frame rates will tick up a bit with the new service update. I'm kind of expecting  that they will tick back down again once someone implements decent AI traffic (Ultimate Traffic) level stuff and someone is flying into lets say an addon level  KORD or Kennedy. I think i would be happy if i can fly into an airport like that with everything close to max in lets say a PMDG level heavy AC and still lock down 30 to 35 fps with no stutters and a completely populated hub level airport is laid out before you. Until then ill do my best not to have my hardware stagnate too much. Better for me to sell the components every year add a little more and get the best i can afford. Made the mistake of letting my pc stagnate for 2 cycles at the tail end of FS9. Got the fanciest version of FSX... was not happening and i was too far behind to keep up. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

4 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

So DX 12 is postponed and they aren't sure now if it will even bring performance improvements to PC?

What's not to Love in this update!

They've maintained all along that DX12 wouldn't guarantee any performance improvements - all it does is put greater emphasis on the software itself for things like memory allocation.  There are DX12 exclusive visual features, but those were never coming to MSFS next month anyway.

People have gotten way too obsessed with DX12 as some holy grail, seemingly without understanding how DX12 even differs from DX11 on a nuts and bolts level.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

True!  We will have to wait and see.  It certainly looked a lot better with their own before and after photos.  I was watching it on a 4k TV and I struggled to see where the tree line vanished on their improved version, whereas it was easily obvious on their 'before' photo.

They found the latitude bug, and said tree LOD radius should be restored to about 15km everywhere now, no matter how far north or south you go, which will certainly be a lot better, and you never know, the tree mods might work again! :biggrin:

Oh, wow! That's excellent news about 15km and also re the before and after stuff. Thanks for replying.

Sooo looking forward to getting back into the sim once this is sorted. And that potential frame rate increase! If we all see that - fingers crossed - woweee!

• Like 1

Even if i see little fps improvement i will be happy if the stutters are gone.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

10 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

we will get a massive performance updates on 27th of July, why the fuss for DX12 😅

I can almost guarantee you that on July 28th this forum will be full of "I'm not seeing any performance improvements!", "My performance is worse now" threads.

"Massive performance improvments"? Yarite. It's like saying Take this pill and it'll grow 4 inches". Nah, sorry bro, not gonna happen.😉

4 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

yeah ... no .. not really

Just kidding

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

If I get a 10% increase that means 3-5 fps for me. If that's steady I'm more than happy.,

I'm more worried what up to 100% GPU could do to my chip temp.

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

12 hours ago, kiwikat said:

I am actually about as balanced as it can get right now with my 9900K and 3080, running at 3840x1600 ultrawide. My GPU runs at 100% and I have those one or two cores on the CPU pegged as well. I am capped at 60 FPS unless I am over a large city or large, detailed airport, in which it sometimes goes as low as 40-45. I don't need a bunch more FPS, but I would certainly take whatever it'll give me, especially if it means I can leave ultra clouds enabled at all times.

That's weird, i have the same cpu, the 9900k, but with some thermal throttling at 4.2-4.4 ghz with a 2080,and the cpu is the issue on my config. 

Using the fps counter, i have the same result as Seb. Getting 30-35 fps, with a lot of red cpu side

So I guess SU5 will massively improve my performance

Edited by bendead
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, hansb57 said:

I'm more worried what up to 100% GPU could do to my chip temp.

Nothing, it’s designed for it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Currently in SU4 I often see 100% GPU usage in 4k (render scale 80) but only 40% CPU usage when flying over an average sized non-photogrammetry city using a GTX 1080 and a 6700k overclocked to 4.5ghz.

I wonder, as my case, being GPU bound with lots of CPU headroom left what kind of increase I might see? Sure there is room left to utilize additional threading on remaining CPU cores but not any GPU headroom left (unless that somehow changes with the update and other influences like memory etc.).

Does this only benefit users who have GPU headroom left or also those that have CPU headroom too?