Sign in to follow this  
gboz

FPS increase coming?

What if a dev assigns the exact same objects to all LODs just to keep the addon selling? There's no way for Asobo to know and hence no way to guarantee a performance increas with addons.

Karl

• Like 2

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

What about the default scenery ? Is it affected ?

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Let me be clear, I want this update on the 27th but if the sim has some issues, it's best to delay it a week or two. Also, if the changes mean some short term pains for long term gains, then it should go ahead definitely. LOD is a serious issue in other sims and those devs never address optimizations. Thumbs up to Asobo for wanting to maximize performance 👍

Greazer.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Let me be clear, I want this update on the 27th but if the sim has some issues, it's best to delay it a week or two

Seems like Microsoft/Asobo won't delay this update because it coincides with the X-Box release.  The X-Box release is happening on July 27th and it would look really bad for Microsoft to stop the release, especially after they spent so much money on marketing for this release on X-Box and chose that date.  From my knowledge of software development, because the code base for the PC and X-Box is the same (aside from PC being on DirectX 11), to ensure both the PC and X-Box client both work properly with the servers,, the update either goes ahead or it doesn't on the 27th, but because the X-Box release takes priority, the update is probably going to go ahead.

It would be nice if Asobo could find a way to delay Sim Update 5 for the PC and get this stuff fixed, while releasing it for the X-Box.  But based on everything I wrote above, I don't think Microsoft/Asobo will delay it.

My best guess is, the X-Box release and Sim Update 5 go forward on July 27th, but Asobo fixes it later for the PC in another patch.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Ive just read the last few pager, I am off to cut my throat after deleting MSFS of my PC as LOD will be 20ft and everything will be so bad................

Or should I just wait and see how things realy are when I get the update? 

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 4

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I see the sky is falling here, lots of presumptions and bed wetting going on but lets look at the facts;

1) Asobo do have a history of poor patch releases that "break something"
2) there's still time to fix bugs & issues before tuesdays release
3) pointless getting your knickers in a twist at this moment in time as the update isn't even out yet....!

Seems the "wait and see" approach is non-existent to some of you, personally I'm waiting until post-patch to lay into Asobo *if* anything drastic is changed for the worse.

• Like 3

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

Well, no surprise. Those who really thought that such a huge performance increase comes without any cuts/downgrades somewhere else is either utterly naive or has not much experience in the gaming/simming field. 

I'll just quote myself:

On 7/1/2021 at 8:14 AM, Ricardo41 said:

60%? Ha ha ha.

Sounds like one of those late-night weight loss infomercials.

2 hours ago, devgrp said:

Imo they are not cuts or downgrade. Just another way of doing things more efficiently. Say for instance not loading scenery that's not visible. If it can't be seen why should it be loaded? 

You are aware that we are NOT talking about scenery that can't be seen anyway? Of course this would make sense and could alread help performancewise, sure, but my post was about things we can actually SEE, otherwise, of course, it would not be a downgrade. Don't mix things up here, if you get 60% more FPS on an addon airport for example simply because none of the jetways and ground vehicles are rendered further away than 50ft from your plane, it IS a downgrade and it would be interesting how much the performance gain would have been left when the proper LODs would have been already in use. Maybe only 10%?

We will see, but honestly, my expectations are already again down the drain. Not bad, like this I might be positively surprised on 27th in the end 😉 

• Like 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

What about the default scenery ? Is it affected ?

In the last Q&A, they said that at some point they will have to go back and add missing LODs to Asobo POIs and other objects.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Ive just read the last few pager, I am off to cut my throat after deleting MSFS of my PC as LOD will be 20ft and everything will be so bad................

Or should I just wait and see how things real are when I get the update? 

Consult a shrink might be the best advice advise available if its not too late? 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

4 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

I don’t see any problem with forcing 3rd party devs to make multiple LODs for their objects, if Asobo determines in the long run, that will improve the performance for MSFS.

I do see not giving 3rd party devs enough time to transition to multiple LODs for their objects as a problem though.  This stuff takes time to transition.  This is something Asobo should have planned out better.

I don't see a real problem either. This sim is supposed to last at least 10 years, so if there are changes in the core that need to be changed, its better to do these sooner than later. We should not be so naive to not have expected this first year to be one without teething issues. The child that is MSFS was born a few months early, and is hardly a year old and still has lots of growing up to do.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

You are aware that we are NOT talking about scenery that can't be seen anyway? Of course this would make sense and could alread help performancewise, sure, but my post was about things we can actually SEE, otherwise, of course, it would not be a downgrade. Don't mix things up here, if you get 60% more FPS on an addon airport for example simply because none of the jetways and ground vehicles are rendered further away than 50ft from your plane, it IS a downgrade and it would be interesting how much the performance gain would have been left when the proper LODs would have been already in use. Maybe only 10%?

We will see, but honestly, my expectations are already again down the drain. Not bad, like this I might be positively surprised on 27th in the end 😉 

I'm in the beta so I know exactly what they are talking about. Like all things on avsim, everything is blown out of proportion lol. The bottom line is people are going to complain no matter what Asobo does. 

I think Asobo posted a best practice how to set up lod for objects and some devs have ignored it saying they are already getting good performance. This wouldn't be a problem if they just followed the recommendation. It's the same for the modellib file that was causing ctd in many scenery. Some devs are still using the default names when they know it could cause a ctd

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

I seem to be in the minority here but I am all in favour of forced LOD; it's too easy for modellers to just throw tris at things and to hell with the consequences. LOD should be in most models from the start, it's just good practice.

I may be biased as I don't have many addons with custom objects, so I am unlikely to experience the negatives. But the sim doesn't need the new LOD implementation fixing based on what I've read, third party devs need to fix their stuff and optimise it properly.

What I would like to see from Asobo in the options is a LOD bias setting, so users can choose if they want the more detailed models to load in a bit earlier/closer.

I also hope the LOD implementation is clever enough to realise I've zoomed in on something and it should load a higher level of detail (like sniper scopes in FPS games)

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 5

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

xplane 11 updates tended to break addons too, so what? you guys cry about performance, then they try to fix it and then you cry they broke some addons. cope

Edited by wiler
  • Like 4

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080