Sign in to follow this  
LGKR

LM - P3D V5.2 - What is the ambition?

P3D is not available unless you go looking for it, it`s not in the open marketplace if it`s not too your likening don`t use it. It will be staying on my PC and will buy P3Dv6 whenever that comes. I have only hit 60hrs since release in the other sim I do that in a month on P3D.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Are we talking about the Simulator called Prepar3d? It seems like the OP has a different version to everybody else. Perhaps he managed to get a 32bit second hand version at a good price.

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I prefer a sim that doesn't depend on servers located somewhere in the world.

• Like 2

David Porrett

30 minutes ago, LGKR said:

I would compare P3D with Mindcraft. Both are stable. But no one in their right mind would say Mindcraft is particulary realistic.

There is however one big difference between the two - Mindcraft looks like it does intentionally. With P3D.., well I dont know.

Take for example autogen. Who doesnt love the massive oversized autogen taking you back to the 90's? Gives you that distinct Mindcraft feeling. With P3D v5 you can even turn the autogen sliders further up, giving you a really intense Mindcraft feeling.

The Orbx True Earth series has them at the correct size. Luckily I am from the Netherlands so I am spoiled with a superb looking environment.

I do agree that the default AG needs an overhaul ASAP ( resized and more variety , and no only separated houses anymore ! Not everyone lives in a villa … ). If it is only to keep up with the competition. And if third party developers then develop more real building textures for the default building models it will look a lot better.

The additional question would be : will addon developers still continue making addons for P3D now they can earn more money on MSFS addons…?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

15 minutes ago, DavidP said:

Imho that is the future.

Here in the Netherlands the level D KLM simulators all are using Google Earth.

I can imagine that at some point LM will offer the possibility to connect to a third party app that streams real world terrain data into P3D for us. Beside the current way the terrain is built.

And I can also imagine that this is already possible in the professional environment with P3D.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

And the feeling when the autogen pops up right in front of your face! If you are lucky it will be all black or floating in the air. A true winner every time.

Anyone saying this is not true FSX style has never tried FSX

• Upvote 1

I agree with many of you but the threadstarter is not wrong saying there did not change a lot apart from endless bugfixes and introducing new bugs. After every update, I wait for the next update, since I hope they will eventually fix broken things and/or improve the sim.

10 years P3D for me now and it is still not finished, a life-time workplace. I have still some FSX screenshots. It looked awesome for it´s time and P3P5.2 does not look that much better, one would expect. And we use tons of 3rd party addons to make it look good. Without addons, P3D nowadays still looks cartoonish. The whole world looks wrong. 

If there was only a competitor who made it really better. 

Here look at my FSX 

h2ubjoG.png

and now P3D5.2

gTmzNiL.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

21 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

Simple.  Whatever their primary government/commercial clients require and contract funding directs.

correct,  dont worry with such a strong administration in the USA, the defence contractors wont go poor

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, blaunarwal said:

10 years P3D for me now and it is still not finished, a life-time workplace. I have still some FSX screenshots. It looked awesome for it´s time and P3P5.2 does not look that much better, one would expect.

The screenshot you posted from P3Dv5.2 looks very realistic to me. I don't know what more you expect. The picture measures up well to the following real-world images in my opinion when it comes to the coloring, Rayleigh scattering and depiction of atmosphere. There are always small improvements that can be made, but if it already looks quite realistic, you can't make it much better, can you?

hallwilersee-schweiz-aus-der-luft-x2m1hd

44652718-sch%C3%B6ne-luft-panorama-der-s

The sky color in FSX on your picture looks unrealistic, BTW. You never see purple skies at a high altitude.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

The sky color in FSX on your picture looks unrealistic, BTW. You never see purple skies at a high altitude.

C´mon, it´s more than 10 years ago. Can´t remember what I tried then or had an addon doing this. 😉 But for comparison to P3D5, do you remember the super orange sunsets just a little before?

12qdFcu.jpg

What I wanted to show, the plane was cool, the clouds where fluffy, the alps looked real. We didn´t go much forward. 

Here´s another FSX shot from lake of Zurich but unfortunately in winter.

4q4cOUD.png

• Upvote 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

2 hours ago, LGKR said:

And the feeling when the autogen pops up right in front of your face! If you are lucky it will be all black or floating in the air. A true winner every time.

Anyone saying this is not true FSX style has never tried FSX

You are always very negative. Here I do not see black objects or floating ones.

And FSX looks way different and I have used it up DX10. Not comparable…

• Like 1

Software can take a few versions to get to a stable release and that's without added variable of new additional features.

Plus software is never really in a finshed state, and as we see what occurs is a period of time testing, then release and then have a series of issues reported due to much wider and varied use bringing such issues to the forefront.

And that's why there are point releases, hotfixes etc. to resolve those problematic bugs that unexpectedly popup post release.

Cheers

PS. to say there is little difference in FSX vs. P3D is not realistic, although I do agree that the P3D out of the box experience is lacking. That said P3D is viewed as a platform on which to build upon.

Having come from FSX, a large proportion of scenery and other addons have followed the migration path and my P3D experience includes a ton of things I previously used in FSX. Plus now I can actually load all those scenery and addins without needing to plan around VAS use.

I'm happy enough with P3D atm, but of course time will move on and LM will need to keep up to stay competitive. Atm  Microsoft is eyeing off the gamers market, but later they may consider a certified sim platform to be an opportunity to get into.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Edited by Rogen
  • Like 2

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

On 7/2/2021 at 9:17 AM, DavidP said:

What sim would that be? I use four different sims on a regular basis and none of them requires an active internet connection. Well, except for Prepar3d because of the many, many addons which pretty much requires it both for installing and during daily use. Do you remember a few weeks back when the Orbx servers went down and everyone went bananas? I guess you don't use Vatsim, or perform flight planning using online data, or update your AIRAC data, or use real life weather, and so on. That sounds a bit dull.

Since you're likely referring to MSFS, I thought that this online requirement myth had been killed by now. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that prevents you from creating and using offline sceneries just like in any other sim. It's just that there is also an option to stream data from remote servers to get a level of detail that would otherwise require each user to have several petabytes of local storage. And as you might know, any downloaded data is cached locally. Since most of us likely fly in the same areas many times, we can use the highly detailed scenery data without downloading anything in about 99% of the flights.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/1/2021 at 1:06 PM, CaptKornDog said:

Simple.  Whatever their primary government/commercial clients require and contract funding directs.

They couldnt be happier.  The BUFFS (B52s) are starting it all off tonight. 

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/b-52-bombers-head-to-afghanistan/

The revenue is about to start to come back  in for LM as well as the other contracters.  The taps been turned back on again. 

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

I have been in flight simulation since the very first version of Flight Simulator. Many of you have not. I have been amazed at how far it has come. LM has done a great job of improving and advancing the capabilities of the program. The really amazing part is how low the cost is and the availability of quality addons. Be thankful for what you have.

Bill W.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4