Sign in to follow this  
LGKR

LM - P3D V5.2 - What is the ambition?

1 hour ago, BillW said:

I have been in flight simulation since the very first version of Flight Simulator. Many of you have not. I have been amazed at how far it has come. LM has done a great job of improving and advancing the capabilities of the program. The really amazing part is how low the cost is and the availability of quality addons. Be thankful for what you have.

Bill W.

Yep.  One's opinion of P3D, it's graphics, performance, realism, is subjective and influenced by past experiences.

Like you, I got into flight simulation in the early 80s and I am amazed at how far it has come.  Having said that, it has been almost 40 years, so it could be a lot better.

Here's what I started with:

ScoEmlg.jpg

Yeah, we've come a long way.

Dave

• Like 4

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

3 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Here's what I started with:

ScoEmlg.jpg

And we enjoyed it that way because it was a sim and that´s the reason we can also enjoy P3D today.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

If you think p3dv5.2 has not changed a thing then re-install fsx and try and run it in the same way........

Are there things that can be improved? yes

But it has come a long way with compatibility of a lot of scenery and aircraft etc. With ups and downs but v5.2 is a very good and solid version. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

My first simulator was FS4 from 1991... and now I use P3D v5.2. I have a lots of problem with medium configuraton: EA is impossible to use (very low frames), stutters evreywhere, very low frames when approaching to addon airport on virtual cabin (exterior view no problem) with PMDG airplanes, CTD if I try to change aiport position, black boxes on scenery, etc., etc. etc.

Installed REX for textures, ActiveSky, ORBX Base, LC, Vectors, etc., payware aiports, PMDG B738 and B777, etc.

Mi PC: AMD 3900x 4.15 Ghz. MSI X570 motherboard, 32 Gb RAM 3200, RTX 2070, NVMe x4 1 tb, 1 x monitor 28" 4k

I have X-Plane 11 but not use and MSFS for test VFR flights expecting in the future a good "simulator" and not a game.

No, I am not happy with P3D v5.2.

Regards.

J. Adolfo Medina

34 minutes ago, jadolfo said:

Mi PC: AMD 3900x 4.15 Ghz. MSI X570 motherboard, 32 Gb RAM 3200, RTX 2070, NVMe x4 1 tb, 1 x monitor 28" 4k

Hey J.Adolfo,

A few of those issues could be related to configuration.

For example: Black boxes on scenery, take a look at this link

Given v5 provides for more performance your hardware should perform very well with P3D.

I too run an AMD, a 3800X on a X370 motherboard, also 32 Gb of ram @3200, NVMe drive, but a lowly 1070ti GFX card - and my performance (P3D v4.5) is very statisfactory, being as I can maintain a 30Hz vsync for 30 FPS in almost all conditions with practically max settings (although there are a few I cannot enable due to the 1070ti GFX card not being powerful enough, e.g. no cast terrain or vegetation shadows, no volumetric fog and a few reflection options are not used).

For my CPU I have manually clocked its base speed to 4.5 Ghz and you could probably get about the same out of yours being rated to 4.6 Ghz boost.

I also have SMT disabled (the AMD equivalent to HyperThreading), as in my testing P3D performed noticably better on my 4.5 Ghz clocked CPU than with SMT enabled, also cooling was then not a problem as the CPU ran much cooler.

The above said the single biggest improvement was a 30 Hz capable monitor.

That way I could set a 30 Hz screen mode and use P3D's vsync to lock the frame rate to the 30 Hz monitor mode.

End result is super smooth flying with a greatly reduced load on the GFX card, which in turn allows me to ramp up settings in P3D. Check my sig links, you'll see screen pics and video examples.

I think though a check of your monitor to see if it is 30Hz capable is a good starting point, if not capable the NVidia Control Panel offers a half refresh rate vsync mode (not certain it would work with P3D though but worth trialing) and also an external framerate limiter.

A method to monitor the GPU use would be of advantage to see how much load is being placed on the GPU, as maxing out introduces stutters and with P3D the GPU is super easy to max out. I use Asus GPU Tweek II opened on my #3 monitor as it has a scrolling graph providing a picture of the load on the GPU over the timeline of the graph but there are others like CPUID HWMonitor.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

4 hours ago, jadolfo said:

RTX 2070, NVMe x4 1 tb, 1 x monitor 28" 4k

Therein lies the problem. That card is not really up to running at 4K. Try your monitor at 1920*1080. It won’t look brilliant but if you can get 30fps at complex airports that solves your problem 

Either buy a more powerful graphics card or temporarily run at 1920*1080.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 7/2/2021 at 3:26 AM, LGKR said:

And the feeling when the autogen pops up right in front of your face! If you are lucky it will be all black or floating in the air. A true winner every time.

Anyone saying this is not true FSX style has never tried FSX

I haven't had autogen pop since like P3D 4.3 and that was in...2018 maybe?

I don't know what version you're flying but autogen pop is a thing of the past, unless you're misconfigured.  Same goes for stuttering.   I haven't had stutters in P3D since about 4.3 or 4.4.  

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

@Mace, LGKR hasn’t visited AvSim since early July. I don’t think you’ll be hearing back from him.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Mace, LGKR hasn’t visited AvSim since early July. I don’t think you’ll be hearing back from him.

Ok, well then.  I was about to offer to help config his machine BUT I guess that would serve no purpose.

The whole "minecraft graphics" thing should have been grounds for....you-know-what...

Sometimes they are exposed by their own language, or the people liking their posts are exposed for liking the inflammatory (and non-factual) language.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 minutes ago, Mace said:

I was about to offer to help config his machine BUT I guess that would serve no purpose.

Enters, drops a bomb and departs. You’re right, you’d be wasting your time. 😉

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I use 4.5 with Orbx Global, Orbx NA, and UTX NA for geography and roads and stuff. ASN, Orbx buildings, Airports, Terra Flora. I never enjoyed my A2A planes as much in FSX Steam. Only bad thing, my ATI graphics drivers conflict my GTN when using A2A aircraft but not in others. Which is fine. Most pilots aren't rich enough for GTN anyway so I'm happy with RXP GNS in my Cessna and Bonanza.

• Like 1