Sign in to follow this  

So I'm thinking about buying my first third-party aircraft for MSFS 2020. I want something that's pretty much a complete aircraft from A to Z that has very little to no inops. Something that's realistic to the flight model would be nice too but also not too difficult to fly. Autopilot is, of course, a must as I like to fly IFR often in challenging weather.

To that end, I've narrowed my choices to either the Just Flight Piper Arrow (any of the variants, I'd likely buy the vanilla/turbo bundle) or Carenado Mooney M20R. Piper Arrow seems to offer a compelling package, but I also like going high, fast and far and the Mooney gives that. I'd much rather have a biz jet, but there aren't any on the market and the CJ4 is presently one of the crown jewels of aircraft in MSFS (with the Working Title mod, natch).

Which one would you suggest? Especially asking those who may have both aircraft in their hangars!

Loved the Mooney when it came out but there's no doubt that the Just Flight is on a different level, especially the Turbo which can go fast and high like you wanted

• Like 1

I have both, and while the Carenado Mooney is actually very good, I would buy the JF Arrow bundle for its immersion and atmosphere inside the cockpit.  

Or if you want to save a bit of money, just get the Arrow turbo.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

The Arrow has more about it than the Mooney in my opinion. I do like them both but I think the Arrow has a more in-depth modelling and pretty much everything works in it down to the circuit breakers. You also have a choice in the Arrow between various GPS units which is nice - you can toggle between them inflight even. Also it has state saving so it remembers all the positions of the switches you left them in, fuel levels, etc. from your last flight (this is optional). The autopilot is basic as technically it doesn't have an altitude hold (only course) but JF have given you the option to switch on course + altitude if you want which is handy for those who want it. JF seem pretty good at pumping out updates/fixes as well. But yeah it is a bit on the slow side

Howdy, I’ve not tried the JustFlight offering yet, but shortly after MSFS2020 release I purchased the Carenado C-182 and to say it was lacking would be a gross understatement. 

Sounds, Flight Model and Aircraft Systems including autopilot mediocre at best. I flew it once or twice and then retired it to the boneyard. There may have been some updates from Carenado since that make it a better offering but at release it was a joke. 

My 2 cents

-btacon

Edited by btacon

Thanks...sounds like Just Flight's Piper Arrow is a winner.

Besides Just Flight, what other third party aircraft add-on companies should I follow? Obviously Aerosoft and PMDG, but they don't have anything I'm interested in at the moment. Maybe the Twin Otter.

If you haven't already you could try the TBM 930 + Improvement Mod (or some parts of it as Asobo fixed up the turboprop logic a bit) + WT G3000. That would probably tick quite a few of your boxes - flies nice, good autopilot, pretty quick and the G3000 is great with Navigraph integration included if you're subscribed to that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger said:

Thanks...sounds like Just Flight's Piper Arrow is a winner.

Besides Just Flight, what other third party aircraft add-on companies should I follow? Obviously Aerosoft and PMDG, but they don't have anything I'm interested in at the moment. Maybe the Twin Otter.

there will be more than enuf others coming, but why not the tbm with the mod? pretty fast that one.

and yes the jf arrows have a lot more than carenado offerings and its a better company.

for me there is not one aircraft filling all my needs.

I have both the JF Arrows and the Carenado Mooney.  While the Mooney is one of the better Carenado planes, I'd stick with the Just Flight Arrow.  The turbo is the way to go if you want to go faster, although I actually enjoy the slower non-turbo III as well. 

Being honest I don't think I've flown the Mooney since the JF stuff came out. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

2 minutes ago, Tektolnes said:

If you haven't already you could try the TBM 930 + Improvement Mod (or some parts of it as Asobo fixed up the turboprop logic a bit) + WT G3000. That would probably tick quite a few of your boxes - flies nice, good autopilot, pretty quick and the G3000 is great with Navigraph integration included if you're subscribed to that.

I did fly the TBM for a while and, of course, use the Working Title mod. It's a fun aircraft, sure, but I was bothered by the incorrect turbo logic and decided to mothball it until it's been fixed (I read it's definitely improved, but not 100% yet). I have Navigraph, but only the FMS data subscription and not the charts. I like using it on Little Navmap to sub for the lack of charts.

Right now, my plane of choice lately has been the Working Title CJ4 and DA40NG. I just like the idea of having a plane that's fully featured and very involved to take up my attention.

If IFR is important, I think Carenado Mooney is the better option as it is equipped with a modern autopilot.

• Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I have both the Carenado M20, Carenado Arrow III and JF Arrow III bundle.  Can't go wrong with any of them I spend the most time now in the Carenado Arrow III I just like the AP better and the interior is better modeled IMO than JF's.  I'm in the minority I know.  If I didn't have the M20 I'd get that first.

I would pick JF Arrow first and then the Mooney. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I own the Mooney and have no regrets about buying it.  Currently using it on a tour of the Nordics.  I don't own the JF Arrows.  However if you're trying to decide between the two, I would go with the JF Arrows.  Honestly the only reason I don't have them myself is because I have the Mooney.  

47 minutes ago, CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger said:

Besides Just Flight, what other third party aircraft add-on companies should I follow?

My favorite addon plane is the P149.

http://atsimulations.com/focke-wulf-149-msfs

And yes, I own the Arrow and Mooney..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert