Sign in to follow this  
YukonPete

Seasonal textures are out of whack

MSFS 2020 is not very accurate rendering seasonal textures. I live in the Yukon and in MSFS is rendering the mountains covered in snow and in reality there is next to no snow at all for this time of year. 

Edited by YukonPete

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

6 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Sorry, a bit confused by your post. Is there a link, or are you posing a question..? 🙂

Mountains full of snow in the middle of summer. MSFS is rendering winter texture in July. Its not accurate 

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

3 minutes ago, YukonPete said:

Mountains full of snow in the middle of summer. MSFS is rendering winter texture in July. Its not accurate 

Your post said "Seasonal textures are out"..................MSFS does not have seasons so just what are you on about? ( apart from snow)

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

3 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I agree with the body of your post, but the title of your post indicated that seasonal textures are out (aka released)?

Yes. If he has time left he should edit the topic title to say out of whack or something similar.  Sync?

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Snow coverage is dynamically rendered but there are no seasonal textures. Most likely the aerial photo used for the area was taken when the mountains still had some snow coverage.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Maybe "whack" is not a universal term, it means "gone bonkers" or any other "whacked" term you can think of...gone south..... fubared

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I guess the OP is referring to the procedurally generated snow which, I agree, tends to be overdone. 

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

14 hours ago, jimcarrel said:

Maybe "whack" is not a universal term, it means "gone bonkers" or any other "whacked" term you can think of...gone south..... fubared

No, it not that.  It is that he states 'seasonal textures' which seasons are simply not currently in MSFS, so we cant figure out what he is talking about, much less seeing them 'gone bonkers'.  There is also added confusion because there is a payware mod which is literally called 'seasonal textures', which does work great.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Oh yeah it is way out of whack, I flew a flight out of PAJN (Juneau, Alaska) a day or two ago and it had snow on the runway. Definitely needs to be adjusted. 

Tyson Rose

41 minutes ago, snwboardn said:

Oh yeah it is way out of whack, I flew a flight out of PAJN (Juneau, Alaska) a day or two ago and it had snow on the runway. Definitely needs to be adjusted. 

This is not seasons (there are none), it is weather -  yes, weather is not fully accurate.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Looking at snow coverage at Juneau in meteo blue it shows about a meter of snow around the area.  This may reflect snow in the mountains but definitely no snow on the runway per the web cam.

Yeah that dynamic snow cover thing doesn't work that well for mountains with snow levels, the data resolution is too coarse. So while there might be tons of snow at 8000 feet the valley next to it has been free of snow for months. MeteoBlue showed some of the sky islands (which are small but numerous mountain ranges in southern Arizona) covered in a foot of snow which was accurate but the snow coverage extended far into the valleys.  If you slew up high you can see circles with the range of the snow.  I'm really looking forward to this weather system accuracy overhaul they keep talking about.

Edited by aniiran

I am prepared to be shot down over this viewpoint, so go ahead if you feel like it, but some of the expectations in this thread are way out of line for what is currently achievable.  Do you realise what it will take to get the weather accuracy / snow depth you want?
I wonder how much of this is trolling from users of the 'other' flight simulators out there (By the way - how's the snow depth working out in them? :biggrin:)

Maybe come back in a few years time for the kind of accuracy you wish for, but even then it might not be possible to have the snow depth / snow threshold line for every mountain in the world with that kind of accuracy.  It is really asking a lot to inject that type of data into the sim, and I am not sure if that data is even available.

First and foremost, it is a flight simulator, so just fly.  If the snow depth isn't quite right for your liking or local knowledge, why don't you just adjust it from the slider in the weather icon menu - that works well.
On adjustment, you can see the snow line going up and down the mountains in front of your eyes in real time.  Adjust it to your liking or local knowledge - Simples!

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.