Sign in to follow this  
Guest PPSFA

Request to FSX addon aircraft developers...

Guest PPSFA

One of the best features of FSX is the ability to 'share' a cockpit with another pilot, thereby enhancing the experiance greatly. Its a great tool for teaching/learning and in the jets is much more realistic.Having said that, I have yet to find an addon plane that works properly in multiplayer/ shared cockpit. The default planes work ok, but of the 1/2 dozen or so addons I have tried, none work as they should when 2 pilots share the cockpit. I do not know whether or not its the plane, Gamespy servers, simconnect, or FSX itself, but whatever th e reason, it seems none of the addons have been tested using the shared cockpit, so I am asking any that see this to try it if you have the time, and work out the bugs.It would be a shame to have this feature and not be able to use it. I intentionally have not named developers or planes for obvious reasons.Thanks

In order for what you want to happen, MS will first need to release an SDK for this specific purpose. Will this ever happen, maybe, maybe not... the signs however indicate right now suggest that MS isn't overly interested in producing such an SDK.Non-default aircraft are generally not shareable per se over the internet because custom 3rd party aircraft usually use custom variables and code not documented in the MS Panels and Gauges SDK.What this means in plain English is that, generally, the planes over the net can't talk to each other, so if you flip a switch your friend will not see the same switch move on his end.Let's hope MS decides to release an SDK that will allow the quality, 3rd party aircraft to take advantage of the new shared cockpit functionality. It would be a pretty cool thing if they could get it to work.-Bryan

Guest PPSFA

Tks for the reply, thats exactly whats happening. I hope Aces fixes it, cause this is an awesome feature

I wouldn't hold my breath.The multiplayer API is owned by Gamespy, not Microsoft.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

/me thinks aces has much bigger fish to fry this year.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 @ 893Mhz | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 575/900 | Seagate 2x 320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

>I wouldn't hold my breath.>>The multiplayer API is owned by Gamespy, not Microsoft.As far as I know, the matchmaking is done by Gamespy, then it is MS handling the actual multiplayer code in-game.

>>I wouldn't hold my breath.>>>>The multiplayer API is owned by Gamespy, not Microsoft.>>As far as I know, the matchmaking is done by Gamespy, then it>is MS handling the actual multiplayer code in-game.That's not precisely correct. They licensed the front end and IP transport system; IOW a "blackbox" with a "goesinta" at the client end and a "comesouta" at the host end.FSX itself however defines what "goesinta" and interprets the "comesouta." Thus far, only the well-defined SDK sim vars are passed though.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator