Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Meigs Field in the Market Place

6 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Was there any legal action over this?

I think about all that happened was the FAA stirred itself to use some mildly harsh language, but that was about all. As far as I recall, the law required prior notification to the FAA before modifying or closing the airport. Typical of government, no consequences UNLESS you are a republican.

• Like 2

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

What the city did to this airport is just 😡

I couldn't believe it when I saw the news footage of a trashed runway and diggers digging X marks all along the runway. 

My last RW flight into Meigs was in the evening, followed by a late night departure, then west over the city on an amazing clear night (Cessna 182).

• Like 1

Randall Rocke

4 hours ago, somiller said:

I think about all that happened was the FAA stirred itself to use some mildly harsh language, but that was about all. As far as I recall, the law required prior notification to the FAA before modifying or closing the airport. Typical of government, no consequences UNLESS you are a republican.

According to this article in Wikipedia,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meigs_Field#Demolition_and_closure

with a Democratic mayor (Richard M. Daley) and a Democratic president (Obama), "On September 17, 2006, the city dropped all legal appeals and agreed to pay the $33,000 fine as well as repay $1 million in FAA Airport Improvement Program funds that it used to demolish the airfield and build Northerly Island Park."

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

23 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

According to this article in Wikipedia,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meigs_Field#Demolition_and_closure

with a Democratic mayor (Richard M. Daley) and a Democratic president (Obama), "On September 17, 2006, the city dropped all legal appeals and agreed to pay the $33,000 fine as well as repay $1 million in FAA Airport Improvement Program funds that it used to demolish the airfield and build Northerly Island Park."

Obama wasn't president in 2006.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Sorry, quite right. It was George W. Bush (Republican).  At any rate, there were consequences for a Democratic mayor.

Edited by Mike777

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

3 hours ago, Mike777 said:

Sorry, quite right. It was George W. Bush (Republican).  At any rate, there were consequences for a Democratic mayor.

There were NO consequences for Daley - he paid nothing, and never went to jail. All consequences were suffered by the taxpayers, as government only has YOUR money, and government produces NOTHING!

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

3 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Yes, but we can't have that get in the way of the narrative.

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

1 hour ago, somiller said:

There were NO consequences for Daley - he paid nothing, and never went to jail. All consequences were suffered by the taxpayers, as government only has YOUR money, and government produces NOTHING!

I'm really regretting that I got into such a silly discussion.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2