Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Snow in FSX

Guest BobKK

Each time I've been at an airport (using Real WX updated every 15 minutes) where it's snowing, it looks like a very heavy snowfall coming down, almost a blizzard. I'm wondering if there are different degrees of snowfall depicted in the sim, i.e. light, moderate, heavy etc. or just one level of severity.My recollection is that FS9 had a more "gentle" snowfall than what I've seen in FSX.

It's well known that FSX's snowfall is a little suspect...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

>Yeah-so is the snow in fs9-and the rain in both....long way>to go...>>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgThe bummer part is it went downhill in my opinion. To me, the rain and snow in Fs9 wasn't half bad. The snow was ok aslong as you were moving..But to me, the snow in FSX is terrible. And it can't be fixedby the texture, as it's the same exact texture as FS9..Maybe there is another way around it. I used to like looking for snow areas, but now I think I avoid them. It's just too painful to look at... Kinda likestreaks of white bird poo flying towards the plane.. :/ The FS9 version was way more believable, as it wasn't overdone like the FSX mess which uses way too large and long "snow"streaks. If they were short and smaller, it would be ok I think.Snow should look more like a maze of streaky dots, rather than just large streaks..The FSX rain is not as bad.. It's more transparent, and thusdoesn't grate on my nerves like the FSX snow.. :( On my box, the runway water fx look pretty killer. So I like the airportsin the rain.MK

Neat pic! Isn't 186 knots moving out pretty good for a Baron?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>like the FSX mess which uses way too large and long "snow">streaks. If they were short and smaller, it would be ok I>think.>FSX snow has been described in these forums as "snow javelins", which I thought was kind of funny. RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

Wow, that is faster than I thought.Incidentally, (you might be interested in this story), yesterday, here at my nearby airport (KCGI), we had a King Air 200 make an emergency landing. The pilots lost pressurization at 27,000 feet, and both passed out. They fell to 7,000 feet ASL while they were passed out, and then regained conciousness, and were able to land the plane at KCGI--despite having zero elevator control.You should have seen the damage on the aircraft. Half of the T-tail was gone, and the wings were buckled from the G-forces they must have encountered during the fall. The windscreen was completely spider-webbed.Those were two very lucky pilots.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

I made a flight in snow last night, it's my opinion that it just needs to "slowed down" a significant amount to improve it quite a bit. Perhaps we'll see a change with SP1.

Ken

Here is the link in the newspaper with pics.http://www.semissourian.com/story/1188041.htmlRhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett