Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

XP no longer available?

In another thread, it was claimed that Microsoft is recalling all copies of XP. When I go to Dell, XP is no longer a choice on the computers I checked.I tried to order a copy of XP at Newegg, and the order was declined due to being out of stock.I spoke to a Newegg representative, and he is telling me that he can't believe that Microsoft will remove XP from the market. But he could not give me a definitive answer.What's the truth?Seems silly, no, stupid, to me to pull XP from the market.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

You can check Microsoft's web site - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspxWindows XP will be available for "Direct OEM and Retail Availability" for 12 months after the release of Windows Vista.The "System Builder License Availability" will be 24 months after the release of Windows Vista.Any 'shortages' are just like any new product rollout - temporary so people buy the new version. Give it a couple weeks, and XP will be back on the shelves.However for many products the "life cycle" is 5 years after release - like FSX which is supported until Dec 31, 2011 (It says so in the EULA).However, it makes no economic sense for a manufacturer like Dell to build individual computers to Vista hardware specifications and offer XP operating system. Messes with the production line.The company I work for will receive new computers from Dell with Windows XP OEM Licenses for at least one more year - because our runs are several hundred at a time each quarter. We really don't care because the first thing we do is wipe the hard drives with DODWipe and install our own custom XP image.We are a Microsoft Enterprise customer, and are licensed to install Vista (and Office 2007) on as many of our computers as we wish today. However we will not make those moves for several months, maybe 15-18 months. We expect to have many computers on XP for at least three more years - and believe me - for the money we pay yearly for our support agreements and software licensing - it will be supported.

I was about to say the same thing Reggie as I'm in the IT department at my job with the same set of circumstances. XP will be around for quite some time... :-)

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest iwantmydc3

>In another thread, it was claimed that Microsoft is recalling>all copies of XP. When I go to Dell, XP is no longer a choice>on the computers I checked.>>I tried to order a copy of XP at Newegg, and the order was>declined due to being out of stock.>>I spoke to a Newegg representative, and he is telling me that>he can't believe that Microsoft will remove XP from the>market. But he could not give me a definitive answer.>>What's the truth?>>Seems silly, no, stupid, to me to pull XP from the market.>>Thomas>>[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com]>http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]>>I like using VC's :-)>N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180Microsoft will support XP until 2009. If they follow their previous pattern, manufacturing will stop about 12 months after VIsta's release-if it hasn't already-so going to, say, Best Buy and trying to buy a copy on the shelf will depend on stock remaining. You will probably be able to get a machine built with XP for the next few months, after that it will be too expensive for the mass manufacturers (Dell, Compaq, etc) to offer the option-they usually work off of a certain mumber of "images." and keeping past OS's around for custom orders is more trouble for them. Probably the middle of next year, MS will start sending out reminders that support is about to close, then that will be it. You probably could still find copies to buy for awhile, but once support stops, it wouldnt be a good idea to continue because for one thing, that means security updates stop. I plan to wait until either support ends or, I buy n new computer. I have already decided not to mess with trying an "upgrade." because after all, I need my computer for a lot more than just FSX

We received this today - these type messages are Quarterly:Please note upcoming critical product transitions to ensure your software is supported and your environment is secure.Transitioning from Mainstream Support to Extended Support- Visual Studio .NET 2002