Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

The Big Question Concerning XP vs. Vista to me!

Guest Ozzie

>Yeah, the DRM in Vista has issues. >>BTW, I can confirm that Windows Me is nothing like XP. Me was>built off the Windows 95/98 codebase. XP was built off the>2000 codebase, which came from NT. NT was a brand new>operating system that totally diverged from Win 95/98. >>This caused compatibiliy issues, but had a lot of advantages>because they could start from a clean slate.>Well! - that is just SO reassuringWith their track record of releasing software with literally '000's of "bugs" (sorry - undocumented Features) - which they have obviously given up trying to patch after all these yearsYou would have us blindly believe that they have Finally got their act together - sorry too much - from what I have seen - the ONLY thing that they have improved is their own GUARANTEED INCOME STREAMJust MHO

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Blindy believe? Where did I say that?The DRM stuff are design issues. Microsoft decided to build DRM into Vista to protect intellectual property (ie copying music or video). If they've gone too far in certain areas, and break functionality that should work, that's not good. Either we find workarounds, or Microsoft fixes them, or you're SOL. Since this is a flight simulator forum, my first post was concerned with running FSX on Vista. That works, and it works rather well for me.Oh, and yeah, they're in business to make money. I am, too.

Guest Charlie

>>I learned long ago that the soundest advice on the NET>comes>>from those with alcoholic beverages in their handles. The>>forum is immeasurably stronger for your piece. Thank you.>>>>:-beerchug :-beerchug :-beerchug :-beerchug >>>>Thanks...cool smilies. Sorry, I kind of went off a little.I

Vista is the FIRST MS O.S. that I find incredulous that ANYBODY would willingly put this Cripple-Ware (BluRay)/Corporate Spy-Ware upon a computer that MS did NOT buy them, so has no moral authority to delegate through their software 'front-end' GUI what you shall or shall NOT do with it (the hardware)Vista has succeeded in turning me right off Microsoft's O.S.'s whereby I now **WILL** look at other platforms/O.S.'s. beyond XP Pro.I, like so many others had become complacent, for until Vista---MS products were solid value for the money, and from XP, backwards, was merely a G.U.I...a 'WINDOW' to the zeros and one's of native code.Big Brother HAS arrived! His name is: VISTA!MS has closed this person's wallet if VISTA is what shall be beyond XP. Until Vista was documented and released, I would have never considered removing Microsoft as a candidate for next O.S. or platform.That has changed....just like Microsoft....has changed.....Microsoft had better take the opinion of many, many persons throughout many dedicated-topic/hobby forums seriously, unless they don't mind committing Corporate Suicide....My opinion and personal expression. Other's might not agree with part, or all of it. Their right to do so. My right to post it.Mitch

Guest allcott

Although I agree with the intellectual challenge to Microsofts misappropriation of my hardware, and the need for consumers to finally educate themselves as to precisely what they are giving away when they sign up for Vista, for me the issue of trust comes from another direction - the FSX direction, and in keeping with the purpose and definition of this forum.FSX is written for Vista, it says so in Black and White. Yet it takes no advantage of ANY of the much-vaunted enhancements and features of Vista - as the performance figures show. We have to trust ACES to deliver that at some point in the future, yet retain our enthusiasm for it in the meantime, without any kind of incentive or recognition of the failure by MS. Why?In any other commerical enterprise a refund, discount - or at the very least an apology - would have been supplied by now, in order to keep the customer sweet, to keep them frmo bailing and asking for their money back, or most importantly to keep them from recognising that they haven't been delivered what was promised. And some of those erroneous promises are STILL to be found on MS websites. Then there was a Bbreach of Trust when we accepted at face value the pre-release assertions that FSX was developed for Vista and would be an improvement when run under that OS. I was prepared to accept that my rig would need upgrading to keep pace with the new sim, and I trusted ACES to produce a product with a defined ability to take advantage of some existent or emergent technology. They failed. Now we are expected to trust ACES, a division of MS, to deliver a product that we have already bought and paid for, on some future platform as yet undefined, in a workable condition? Where, I ask, is that trust supposed to come from? Trust is earned, not a right. MS have abused our trust - and the interraction of FSX and Vista with its limited activation policy continues to abuse that trust to the point of infuriation.{i}At the very least[/i] the limited activation policy of FSX should be amended to allow automatic online reactivation for ALL existing customers - in other words remove ALL the hurdles that we are having to leap over just to get their manky ganme running on their manky OS.In an ideal world, MS would use the activation agreement to offer ALL current users a voucher discount on purchases of Vista, or a part-refund on FSX, accurately reflecting the degree of failure in the product. That voucher can be removed when - if - ACES finally deliver a platform-ready game via Patch One (XP) and Patch Two (Vista/DX10). The imperative on ACES to deliver within timescales would be reinforced by pressure from above, as their failure would then be costing the company money, not us. THAT woud be a fair reflection on who is to `blame`, or at least, responsible.That would be some form of compensation for sitting here with a game that is unusable in its current state in the form described in MS literature.And that is the difference between the real world of commerce, and the monopolistic, arrogant, unapologetic MS universe. A universe I have no desire to join through Vista, if it means handing over the keys to my computer to an organisation that truthfully does regard its customers as liars and thieves.Allcott

Guest Charlie

>Vista is the FIRST MS O.S. that I find incredulous that>ANYBODY would willingly put this Cripple-Ware>(BluRay)/Corporate Spy-Ware upon a computer that MS did NOT>buy them, so has no moral authority to delegate through their>software 'front-end' GUI what you shall or shall NOT do with>it (the hardware)>>Vista has succeeded in turning me right off Microsoft's O.S.'s>whereby I now **WILL** look at other platforms/O.S.'s. beyond>XP Pro.>>I, like so many others had become complacent, for until>Vista---MS products were solid value for the money, and from>XP, backwards, was merely a G.U.I...a 'WINDOW' to the zeros>and one's of native code.>>Big Brother HAS arrived! His name is: VISTA!>>MS has closed this person's wallet if VISTA is what shall be>beyond XP. Until Vista was documented and released, I would>have never considered removing Microsoft as a candidate for>next O.S. or platform.>>That has changed....just like Microsoft....has changed.....>>Microsoft had better take the opinion of many, many persons>throughout many dedicated-topic/hobby forums seriously, unless>they don't mind committing Corporate Suicide....>>My opinion and personal expression. Other's might not agree>with part, or all of it. Their right to do so. My right to>post it.>>>MitchI am equally incredulous, Mitch.I couldn

Vista is like arming the cops.Just because they have a weapon does not mean the will ever have to use it.It may be people are exagerating this altogether.But I doubt it....ha ha al

Mitch-I am not happy with the direction of Vista or software in general but one has to ask why they have gone this direction.All one has to do is visit a typical college campus-or one of your high school kids/grandkids computers and one will find them filled with counterfit copies of windows/software/copyrighted music-often they are not even aware they have done it.When did Microsoft/software companies start taking this "big brother" approach? When they discovered that millions of dollars were being stolen from them by basically "good" people who would never blatantly steal from a store, have no problem running illegal copies of sofware/music/videos.Of course there is the mentality that a company like Microsoft makes billions and really should't care-or the big recording companies/performers are rich and shouldn't mind etc. However, those companies are manned by lots of guys like you and me who see the effects of this stealing in their bottom line paychecks.I know because I am in the music business-and some of my income is derived from many of the recordings I have done. Everytime someone copies my music, puts it on a video-I lose some gallons of avgas! :-)10 years ago this wasn't a problem-unfortunately it is today. I wish there was a beter solution. Honesty and personal priciples would be the best solution but it seems to be sadly lacking in todays' world.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest david W.

>All one has to do is visit a typical college campus-or one of>your high school kids/grandkids computers and one will find>them filled with counterfit copies of>windows/software/copyrighted music-often they are not even>aware they have done it.And lets not forget all those grandparents that now have computers (for emailing) that the grandkids have helped set up, with much of the software probably being copies.Would the world be a better place if these counterfeit copies were removed from all these kids/grandparents computers? And would microsoft make more money if these copies were erased? Or would there just be a sigh of relief from Redmond.>When did Microsoft/software companies start taking this "big>brother" approach? When they discovered that millions of>dollars were being stolen from them by basically "good" people>who would never blatantly steal from a store, have no problem>running illegal copies of sofware/music/videos.Do they really loose millions of dollars. Is it all the villains in their homes that cause these losses by installing extra copies. Perhaps tonight, everybody in their homes should install an extra copy of a microsoft program on another computer within their house. Overnight, microsoft in theory "would loose Billions of dollars

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

>The truth is, microsoft would not loose a penny in the first>place. The same would be true if someone was to donate 1>million computers to every country throughout Africa, and each>computer contained a pirated copy of windows XP. Microsoft>will not have lost a cent. And in fact, over time, they would>actually start making millions out of these new users. They>would really only need to start worrying if all these>computers were instead supplied with Linux.If you didn't donate those pirated computers, some of those people would have bought computers. Microsoft would not get money it otherwise would have. Microsoft loses many pennies.And please, don't sick Linux on those poor Africans. They have enough problems.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

And corporations have a lot of little guys in them.