Sign in to follow this  
rob0203

New Atc software announced

Interesting! Thanks for posting.

I wonder if it will support SIDs and STARS?

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

This caught my eye...

It’s all done in accordance with aviation standards and regulations”.

Which standards and regulations are those then? Hopefully FAA and ICAO so correct enunciation is given whatever part of the world you’re flying in.

It will be interesting to see how this evolves.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, rob0203 said:

Interesting thanks for sharing, curious how this one will evolve and hopefully as Ray stated above FAA and ICAO standards 🙂

• Upvote 1

André

1 hour ago, rob0203 said:

Thanks for posting. Be interesting to know if this is just aspirational or if there is code already in the works, hopefully the latter...

Regards

G

Thanks! Wonder how this will handle the various forms of AI. Also, I wonder if this depends on generated BGLs or is actually real time.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

2 hours ago, Gandalf said:

Be interesting to know if this is just aspirational or if there is code already in the works, hopefully the latter...

Unless they're faking the UI shots, it would seem that there is some code already. How long to get to any kind of release, OTOH... anyone's guess. But announcing months before availability is unusual so I would reckon a first release in the not too distant future. Maybe a beta.

We definitely need more competition in this space. The existing ATC programs have rested on their laurels too long. Pro-ATC/X gets an annual update (if you're very very lucky). Radar Contact is basically abandoned (not in a bad way, the devs just aren't developing it any more), IIRC. PF3 is not super-friendly. As long as I can use FSHud with my keyboard and I can put the UI on another monitor, I'd be OK with it in principle. 

Of course there are questions, which people have already started asking: FAA only or FAA + ICAO? Also, there's lots of regional weirdness within the ICAO regime ('Pass your message' anyone?). TTS voices or real recorded voices, and if so, how much regional coverage? IFR only or VFR also? No program that I know of gets close to modeling the foibles of VFR in the UK, for example. How well does it integrate with 3rd party scenery? Does it work well with AIG (and UTL if it ever gets a new version)? Will it do proper progressive taxi on the ground (clearance to cross runways etc)? Will it be customisable to any extent? Being able to set your own phraseology and add your own voices would be ideal.

Hopefully some answers soon 🙂

• Upvote 1

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

8 minutes ago, neilhewitt said:

But announcing months before availability is unusual so I would reckon a first release in the not too distant future. Maybe a beta.

Neil,

May I draw your attention and recollection to the MSFS2020 release as just an example. There are so many developers these days who are telegraphing their new products for long and varying lengths of time.  In my opinion, this is not at all unusual and generally, again in my opinion, it is done routinely to deter competitors and to perhaps encourage consumers to wait for their product in lieu of buying something that may already be on the market.

That, however, is a side issue to the OPs topic.  That programme looks (on paper) to be a big advance on the default systems and my provide quite some competition to the ATC programmes already on the market. 

As has already been pointed out, there are lots of questions to be answered before it becomes a "best seller" LOL

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Being on the inside when Radar Contact v4 was being constructed I can appreciate how complex ATC is. You need to have the following experts as part of your team...

• FAA Controller for correct knowledge of procedures.
  • ICAO Controller ditto
  • Trigonometry expert
  • Sound expert and volunteers for mass recording of all the wav files required. RC4 has over 3,000 for a Controller and 2000+ for a pilot.

Then you need tables for transition altitudes for thousands of airports. A table of boundaries so when your aircraft passes from one area to another you are instructed to contact the new controller. Another table of airports with high ground around them. Tenerife and Innsbruck being obvious examples.

You need to construct and maintain a table of Ai and check any that could be in a collision course with your aircraft and issue an appropriate warning.

Pete Dowson’s MakeRwys should come in useful for calculating your position relative to the departure runway so you can be switched from GND to TWR.

And of course its primary role in ensuring you stick to your filed flight plan and altitudes and at a suitable distance from arrival give you a choice of flying your own approach or taking vectors from the controller.

SIDs and STARs are fine but bear in mind in the real world controllers will usually give you vectors for traffic avoidance (SIDs) and vector you to fit in with other arriving aircraft at arrival. That will be particularly challenging.

And then there’s the age-old problem of not vectoring you into a mountain. Innsbruck anyone? 😁

This really needs a team of at least 4 given the complexity.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

We'll see. There's a reason why there aren't a lot of ATC programs. It's very hard to do and very, very hard to do well.

• Like 2

NAX669.png

FSHud is a true manager of air traffic - not just the voice of an Air Traffic Controller.

This is the feature missing in most today ....... & metric altitudes.

Edited by vadriver

for now, cheers

john martin

VOXATC controls AI traffic. It's unclear exactly what this new ATC app does.

That aside, it's good that someone is writing a new ATC add-on for  the legacy sims, but the field is already crowded with capable entries like P2ATC and VOXATC. The former works with a range of flightsims which is a big plus. Both have been updated recently.

• Like 4

Thanks for the info.

I've recently discovered PF3, which, after having used the others for a longer period, works best for me.

You have to put in some altitutes for the SID and STARs but then it works very accurate and offers lots of well sounding voice sets with accents of the regions.

Will for sure give FSHud a try.

Regards, Herbert

Edited by Puukka
  • Like 2

Herbert Puukka

MSFS - CJ4, Learjet 35A, Air Manager, PF3, Navigraph

If it also separates traffic then that is really awesome!

Because all the current Atc programs is just Atc without control except for VoxAtc.

They are like a Atc controller in a tower where all the traffic is just flying around and does not listen at all to the controller

And the most important thing for Atc to do is separation!!!

Edited by rob0203

11 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

May I draw your attention and recollection to the MSFS2020 release as just an example. There are so many developers these days who are telegraphing their new products for long and varying lengths of time.  In my opinion, this is not at all unusual and generally, again in my opinion, it is done routinely to deter competitors and to perhaps encourage consumers to wait for their product in lieu of buying something that may already be on the market.

Yes, all true; but that's usually the 'big boys' like Microsoft and the platform owners like Laminar Research. Smaller players can't usually afford to pre-announce too far away from launch as they don't have the bandwidth to deal with the attention that results. The FSHud team will be getting a ton of feedback right now. But I take your point, and pre-announcing to take the wind out of the competition's sales is a common tactic by the likes of MS. The gaming industry is rife with vapourware!

• Like 1

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT