Sign in to follow this  
cantremember

MSFS won't start (again)

This is probably the fifth time MSFS refuses to start and I keep wasting time following guides and steps, trying to fix it but I still have no luck. I'm extremely frustrated at Microsoft now for their shoddy store programming, I really wish they had made MSFS2020 independent of any store, like X-Plane or the previous iterations, those were much more stable.

Clicking the Microsoft Flight Simulator icon, either dekstop/start menu or from the store, just opens the MS Store on "Gaming Services". I followed a guide which told me to
A) install all updates for the MS Store
B) go in settings -> apps -> reset Gaming Services
C) Run Windows updates

Still no dice, the only thing that's changed now is that in the store, gaming services has an "Install" button instead of "already installed", howerver clicking it just makes it think for 2 seconds and  then say "error".

45 minutes ago, cantremember said:

Still no dice, the only thing that's changed now is that in the store, gaming services has an "Install" button instead of "already installed", howerver clicking it just makes it think for 2 seconds and  then say "error".

You might try watching this video.  I had this happen last week.  I finally got Gaming Services uninstalled and successfully reinstalled but then I still had to reset MSFS.  Was much like reinstalling MSFS but did not require uninstalling it first and once through the lengthy reset process most of my settings were still there.  

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

44 minutes ago, cantremember said:

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I had this issue a few days ago, first time ever having a problem starting msfs. I used regedit to remove the two folder entries as displayed in the above video. Everything worked again perfectly after rebooting. Simple and quick, hope it works for you too.

cheers,

Greg

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Yet again, MSFS2020 won't load. This time it only gets to the latest Sydney view screen, then just hangs there indefinitely with the little circle in the bottom right hand corner  whirling away?? I've changed nothing at all on my computer, so I'm convinced this is yet another problem at Microsoft's end. Is anyone else having the same problem?? Eventually, I have to Ctrl/Alt/Del to close it down. So b***** frustrating!!😡

I've had this happen twice now and always a reboot fixes it.  Some people don't always reboot frequently so I mention this in case you're one.  This suggests to me it could be something MSFS depends on that gets muffed up when Windows isn't reinitialized.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Reeboot means restart, not shut down and then start up. Only a computer reboot clears out the junk. Shut down the computer accomplishes nothing. (This is true starting with Windows 10, it was the exact opposite up thru Windows 8.1).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.