Sign in to follow this  
Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Difference between Light Bloom

Guest brendanstacey

I heard the enabling light bloom gives a spectacular enhancement to fsx. Although this may be true it imposes a big fps drop hence the reason for me disabling it with all other features that require a second rendering pass such as 2x water and ground shadows.Anyway can someone give me their opinion on whether it is worth useing light bloom or not. Maybe some screenies might help.:-) ThanksBrendan

Guest allcott

Are you incapable of trying it for yourself? It's just a checkbox.:)Why not use it and see what the cost/benefit equation is? It will be specific to your rig, anyway. I don't see this as something you need guidance on, when in seconds you can have your own answer - and perhaps take a few screenhsots and post your findings?Allcott

Guest brendanstacey

Well I was thinking of that but if I did it myself I might end up having a biased view from things I already heard from other people. So I wanted to get the opinions of other people who already have tried light bloom and find their opinions of it.Anyway, if I do try it myself where would the best place be? Maybe the Caribbean?Brendan

Hello BrendanBrendan there is no logic at all in your second post.You state that you dont want to try it yourself, because you may end up with a biased view taking into account what you have heard from other peoples opinions.So you want some other peoples biased views, in order to prevent you from forming your own biased view.Am i missing something here? :-)You then want us to tell you the best place to try bloom effects.

It's not the place, it's the time. Try sunset or dawn with clouds on the horizon.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest allcott

Night time, looking at runway lights.Allcott

Dusk and dawn the effect is spectacular, especially with the realsky addon. Flying in the megascenery hawaii addon with light bloom is about as real as it can look. Your box is very similar to mine and i get very playable frame rates with light bloom turned on but i tend to only ever use it when i feel like a dusk flight around the islands.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

I kind of do the same thing. I turn it on whenever I can cause it does look fantastic. Usually after takeoff when I'm at altitute, I can turn it on and the FPS hit isn't too bad. Even during the day, the sun looks a lot better with light bloom...it isn't just a circle of white in the sky. It glows.