Sign in to follow this  
Elvensmith

All Progress Lost

I had to reinstall MSFS from scratch after an unexpected Windows reset wiped out most of my installed programmes, including Steam. After the marathon to get MSFS back on the PC all my keyboard and joystick settings have reset to default, not a huge issue but more critically my Pilots Log is blank and my accumulated hours have reset to zero. (As an aside I had the same issue with Snowrunner). Do we know if there is any means by which my career to date can be retrieved, or is it gone for good?

It happened to me when I had about 105 hours, all progress was gone and I couldn't find a way to recover the logs.

I am following the thread but I doubt anyone can help.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

3 minutes ago, Elvensmith said:

I had to reinstall MSFS from scratch after an unexpected Windows reset wiped out most of my installed programmes, including Steam. After the marathon to get MSFS back on the PC all my keyboard and joystick settings have reset to default, not a huge issue but more critically my Pilots Log is blank and my accumulated hours have reset to zero. (As an aside I had the same issue with Snowrunner). Do we know if there is any means by which my career to date can be retrieved, or is it gone for good?

Almost everybody had their career wiped out during an infamous bug few months ago. The moderators in the FS forums said they would ask the MFS team to look into a solution to retrieve the lost data. To my knowledge they never came back to us. Our friend @ChaoticBeauty may know more ?

The settings are supposed to be stored in the cloud. But if the game was  uninstalled they were lost too, I suppose

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I still have all my progress, all the way back to the very first beta and still do now with the current beta. Don't know what you guys are doing to wipe out all your progress 

5 hours ago, Elvensmith said:

Next time try performing a Reset.  It resets and refreshes MSFS much like reinstalling it. It did not appear to execute an uninstall.  The reset does not seem to wipe out settings other than perhaps some graphics settings.  I had to do this last week after recovering Gaming Services which was corrupted.  My logbook and all of my controller profiles and settings were still intact.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016107019-How-to-repair-or-remove-and-do-a-clean-install-of-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-on-Microsoft-Store

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

6 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Almost everybody had their career wiped out during an infamous bug few months ago. The moderators in the FS forums said they would ask the MFS team to look into a solution to retrieve the lost data. To my knowledge they never came back to us. Our friend @ChaoticBeauty may know more ?

The settings are supposed to be stored in the cloud. But if the game was  uninstalled they were lost too, I suppose

I uninstalled and reinstalled almost 2 months ago. All my settings and hours were there when I started the new install version. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

6 hours ago, Elvensmith said:

I'm sorry if that's an obvious thing, but have you logged on to your account within MSFS (and if so, did you use the same account)? I've had to reinstall once, but all my data was restored as soon as I'd logged on...

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

I uninstalled and reinstalled almost 2 months ago. All my settings and hours were there when I started the new install version. 

Good to know then but I am not going to reinstall just to check that 😉.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Good to know then but I am not going to reinstall just to check that 😉.

Yes, I was actually surprised  when it happened, because after uninstalling I had purposely deleted everything on my hard drive that had anything to do with MSFS, before reinstalling. I was certain that everything would have to be set up again. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

This was slightly different as the reinstall was triggered by a Windows reset (Update had stopped working). Although I picked the "light" option, it basically nuked everything in the C Programs folder, including Steam.

@tymk First thing I was prompted to do after the initial Steam component reinstalled and the MS section opened, was to log on which I did.

If it's gone, it's gone however I'm guessing the same problem could arise if/when I buy a new PC, especially as many games now seem to tuck the save or other files in an obscure location where it isn't easy to identify or back them up.

Guess I'll just have to get flying again, in between churning up the mud in Snowrunner of course!